Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Big Picture
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 26th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Ali`i

Talking Re: New Star Trek movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericncyn View Post
the only diff is that the male trekkies/trekkers pay more attention to the emotionless, human/not-human characters when they have such big...brains...and wear skin tight outfits that emphasize such...brains.
I must be one odd male trekkie since I don't care much for Seven of Nine but B'Elanna (the half-Klingon, half-caliente-latina).
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Kanaka

Send a message via MSN to LovinLK Send a message via Yahoo to LovinLK
Default Re: New Star Trek movie!

Shatner's too busy yucking it up in Brad Paisley videos. Have you seen Online? He's hilarious. And he seems to show up at Paisley's concerts too.

Shatner, Jason Alexander and Little Jimmy Dickens, who all show up in Paisley's videos could be Ferengi in the new movie.
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
I must be one odd male trekkie since I don't care much for Seven of Nine but B'Elanna (the half-Klingon, half-caliente-latina).
some might say that a klingon/latina mix is pretty much = hyper hot-blooded latina, but with ridges.

can you imagine a vulcan/klingon mix? talk about conflicted! that's like being japanese and filipino...holding it all in, as serene and stoic as mount fuji then alla sudden...blow up in a tempest like mount pinatubo.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Ali`i

There was a brief preview of Star Trek before the Cloverfield movie started at Ward Theaters.

It had some historical voiceovers relating to space exploration while the visuals had construction going on, then you get to see the familar Enterprise saucer section still not completed and then saying "Under Construction".
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Exclamation Re: New Star Trek movie!

Someone has already uploaded a filmed-in-a-theater video of the "Star Trek" prequel trailer.
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

I'm no Trekker, but I have enjoyed almost every one of the Trek motion pictures. I find this one interesting. If you've seen Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta Jones in The Terminal (underrated movie; I don't know what all the critics' problems were with this film), you got a good, hot look at the actress slated to play Uhura, Zoe Saldana. When I first heard about the film, I thought Gabrielle Union would have been a great choice, but maybe she doesn't look young enough anymore.

Also, I don't know much about the acting chops of the guy who plays the Chairman on Iron Chef America, but doesn't he look like he could be a young Sulu?
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
I'm no Trekker, but I have enjoyed almost every one of the Trek motion pictures.

Also, I don't know much about the acting chops of the guy who plays the Chairman on Iron Chef America, but doesn't he look like he could be a young Sulu?
Scriv:
I'm in the same spaceship. I admire Star Trek from afar, and remember watching the original series. when we land on it by accident here at home, the girls go bonkers, they love it! I just can't stand the cheesy romantic story lines. But I digress.

The Chairman does indeed look like he could be a young Sulu! Apple anyone?
Old January 21st, 2008, 05:47 PM
Ali`i

just a few tidbits as the day draws nearer...

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/just..._startrek.html
Old January 21st, 2008, 08:40 PM
Ali`i

re marc dacascos, iron chef america's chairman--

*mimicing eric's accent* hi's peeleepeeno prum hawaii! and japanese, among other ethnicities. (psst! hui! eric! if we got together & spawned a boy, it might look like marc dacascos!) marc's also my very good friend's cousin.

IIRC, he also took on the role of the crow after brandon lee died.
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Ali`i

The Star Trek trailer is now available from the Apple Movie trailer site.
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Ali`i

They are delaying this movie to May 2009.
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Ali`i

A friend of mines who I launch rockets with said that one of the previews to Quantum of Solace is Star Trek. I didn't ask for more details since I am planning on watching Quantum of Solace tomorrow.
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Ali`i

New Star Trek movie TRAILER!

It looks more like Michael Bay directed it, IMO
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Kumu

Ooooh I'm so upset today. A lot was going on and the kane and I totally forgot we we had tickets to go to the Air Force Film Festival - Star Trek VI event last night! Michael Dorn was the special guest. I love Michael!!!!

I'm sooooooooooooooooooo sad. ugh!
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Ali`i

I should have asked my friend which theater he was watching Quantum of Solace since today's showing at Ward did not show the Star Trek trailer.
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Star Trek

The trailer is also available at the Apple Movie site. I have to admit that when I first viewed the trailer I was thinking "did I click on the right movie"?
Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
The trailer is also available at the Apple Movie site. I have to admit that when I first viewed the trailer I was thinking "did I click on the right movie"?

Maybe the director is giving a hip edge look how the essential characters became who they are in their adult years.
Do have to say that Zachary Quinto who is known as NBC's Heroes "Sylar" looks dead on as a younger version of Nimoy's .
I myself was not much TV Trekkie but did watch ST The Movie, Khan, definately the one where they were in SF & a few others that came after but not the whole series. J.J. Abrahams (sp?) has done a fair share of good movie/sequels though Cloverfield, ugh Don't get me started.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Ali`i

J.J. Abrams only produced Cloverfield, he did not direct it.

Anyway my comment about the trailer was actually about the first 40 seconds were it is showing a car chase, something that was never shown during the original Star Trek's TV series run.
Old March 1st, 2009, 10:36 PM
Ali`i

Just an update to the movie Star Trek. It opens on May 8, 2009, which is 2 months from now (2 months, 7 days or 68 days). The Apple Movie Trailer web site has so far 3 different trailers for this movie.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:06 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Just an update to the movie Star Trek. It opens on May 8, 2009, which is 2 months from now (2 months, 7 days or 68 days). The Apple Movie Trailer web site has so far 3 different trailers for this movie.

blegh. i'm not at all motivated to see another story that builds needlessly on the heroic legacy of james tiberius kirk. i will say it again--they should have moved forward with new stories for the DS9 and VGR crew. the trailers are pretty hot and all, but meeeeeeeeeeeeeh. the fact that abrams is taking on the beginning of a story we all know the ending of just cements my opinion that he's a scherazade with the talent to weave ever complicated tales that pull you in...but unlike the truly great story tellers, he lacks a matching ability to end such stories meaningfully.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:45 AM
Ali`i

Talking Re: Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
...my opinion that he's a scherazade with the talent to weave ever complicated tales that pull you in...but unlike the truly great story tellers, he lacks a matching ability to end such stories meaningfully.
Oh. For a moment there, I thought you were talking about Brannon Braga ... or Rick Berman.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:49 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Oh. For a moment there, I thought you were talking about Brannon Braga ... or Rick Berman.

harharhar. *snort* yes, my dear fellow trekker, let's not hijack this thread/allow it to devolve by delving into the monstrosity that was ST: Enterprise.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:56 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
harharhar. *snort* yes, my dear fellow trekker, let's not hijack this thread/allow it to devolve by delving into the monstrosity that was ST: Enterprise.
I'm just going to try and keep an open mind with Abrams' retelling of the original iconic Trek.

It's like having to read Jack Kirby's version of the X-Men and then Chris Claremont's version. (Don't ask me who took over, haven't read a comic book since Y2K hoopla).

Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:52 AM
Ali`i

As a suggestion you might want to use this thread to discuss the various Star Trek series, good or bad.

As far as this movie is concerned I don't know if this is a prequel or a reboot of the Star Trek universe. I guess one would know when the starting credits of this movie says "based on" or "inspired by".
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
As far as this movie is concerned I don't know if this is a prequel or a reboot of the Star Trek universe.
From the trailers, it's a little bit of both.

Quote:
I guess one would know when the starting credits of this movie says "based on" or "inspired by".
From Paramount's POV -- who owns the Trek franchise -- they're banking it is "based on." And if Abrams did succeed in reviving it with a box-office hit, they're hoping for more.