Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Player's Place
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 28th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Michelle Wie

In the StarBulletin this morning http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/28/sports/story01.html

Wie tied at top
By Susanne Kemper

"EVIAN, France It didn't take long for Michelle Wie to prove she is one of the best in the field of this year's Evian Masters.

The teen phenom fired an eye-opening 6-under-par 66 today to grab a share of the lead at 135 with two others at the halfway point of the elite, no-cut invitational."

Go! Michelle!!! Relax, Concentrate, Take Your Time, Breathe in...Breathe Out. Gifffff um!!!!

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Ali`i

After the third round she's one back at -11. Karrie Webb has the lead at -12, and Ochoa (I think; it was a brief glance at Yahoo Sports' page) is one back of Michelle at -10.
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Ali`i

And it stayed that way. Webb won at -16; Wie and Davies tied for 2nd at -15.

Best 16-year-old never to win a major!
Old July 29th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Ali`i

Unhappy Re: Michelle Wie

DAMMIT!
I wish folks would remember to use the SPOILER setting when announcing results of things that haven't aired here yet.
Sheesh...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old July 29th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui
DAMMIT!
I wish folks would remember to use the SPOILER setting when announcing results of things that haven't aired here yet.
Sheesh...
I looked at the TV listings and it said 12:30. Maybe I didn't notice whether it said PM rather than AM. I'm sorry.
Old July 29th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Ali`i

Eh, that's okay, Linkmeister. As you may have noticed in the Media section, I jumped on both of the daily papers for putting the results on their websites too, so readers couldn't avoid seeing it. They should've done a Spoiler too.

Notice how I check in at HawaiiThreads before going to the newspaper's websites?!

Old August 8th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Banned

You know you have made it when you are 16 years old and you can fire someone!

had to fix before the playground minotaur came down on me again!

Last edited by damontucker; August 8th, 2006 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Playground minotaur watching me!
Old August 9th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Haumana

On the women's pro tour there's no doubt that she's one of the better players and definately is competitive each time out. She's truly a phenom and I'm a big fan of hers.

I just hope she has had enough just trying to make cuts on the men's tour. I think it's starting to taint her image. I think the novelty has worn off for now. I hope she doesn't enter any more men's events (except maybe the Sony Open) for a while. She should concentrate on dominating on the LPGA tour before even worrying about the men's tour. I have no doubts that eventually she will be able to compete with the men, just not now, afterall she is only 16. She needs to learn how to win first.

That's just my opinion, but what do I know, I'm just a 15 handicapper and she could smoke me on the course.
Old August 9th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Interesting how the LPGA system was tweaked today, increasing the number of tournaments that go toward determining one's rank. By the new system, Wie is seventh, not second.

It's a change no doubt prompted by the unusually high rankings Wie and other relatively new players received, but from what I understand (which isn't much, I admit), it makes sense.

Bummer that Wie didn't make the top ten. I kind of feared she'd fall short, since after her last top ten finish, everyone kept saying, "Hey, at least she's always come in the top ten in all her major appearances!" That's just asking for trouble!

I also gotta say, as reasonable as her stock response sounded the first few times ("Well, I could've played better, but I really learned a lot today!"), it's starting to wear thin. This ain't golf school, it's the real world. Or, at least as much as golf can be the real world!
Old August 9th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Ali`i

I dunno, Pzarq. British courses are so different from American ones that I think it's not at all surprising to say "I learned a lot" after that tournament.
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:46 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
You know you have made it when you are 16 years old and you can fire someone!
I thought I read that the caddy was complaining because neither Michelle nor her father did the firing themselves?

Old August 9th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2dive
I just hope she has had enough just trying to make cuts on the men's tour. I think it's starting to taint her image.
I'll respectfully disagree with that. I think golf fans around the planet are pulling for her to make the cut on the PGA tour, and I think her attempts to do that are doing nothing but good for the game of golf. Seen the TV ratings lately? Ever wonder why she gets offered all those Sponsors Exemptions?
Ka-CHING !!$!

Quote:
She needs to learn how to win first.
All in due time. And in the meantime, nobody of any age, in any sport, has shown the consistency she has over the past year! What is it now... 10 top five finishes in her last 12 events? I'll take that any day over seeing her win once and place 26th the rest of the time.
She is a prodigy, and she is astounding.
And she is just a high school kid. Whipping adult long-time professionals.
Plenty of time to "win".

Old August 9th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
I thought I read that the caddy was complaining because neither Michelle nor her father did the firing themselves?
Nice catch Lika...

One must wonder how much this decision really was hers?
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
Nice catch, Lika.
Do I get a cookie?

Old September 15th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

A 77 and 81 have Wie looking more and more out of place against men
Quote:
Michelle Wie's admirable but still-unsuccessful attempts to become the first woman to make the cut on the PGA Tour in 61 years increasingly are taking on the look of folly, rather than soon-to-happen reality...

Golfers such as Chris DiMarco politely are trying to persuade her that she would be better off challenging LPGA golfers whenever she can - she can't get a full-time LPGA tour card for another one year-plus - rather than constantly coming up short against the men..."Does she deserve to be out here or does somebody who's put in time and effort more deserve that? I'd like to see her play more events her age, girls her age, and not only win but whip them by a lot," DiMarco said. "That's what breeds confidence and that's what Tiger (Woods) did and that's why Tiger is so good."
Old November 14th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Banned

Thank you Michelle Wie for being an excellent example.

Quote:
School principal Glen Kila estimated the planned donations and refurbishing of the computer room would top $60,000, and possibly $100,000.

Wie's desire to help came in response to a recent series by The Advertiser on the homeless crisis along the coast.
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...611140338/1001

I wish more people who could... would be as giving as her.

Her first big check she cut was to the Katrina Victims...and now this.
Old November 24th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Ali`i

Another poor performance by Wie
Quote:
Michelle Wie beat only one player in yet another embarrassing performance in a men's event, shooting an 8-over 80 on Friday in the second round of the Japanese tour's Casio World Open. [...] In her previous two men's events, she finished last in the European Masters (78-79) and 84 Lumber Classic (77-81). In the event before that, she withdrew from the John Deere Classic because of heat exhaustion after playing 27 holes in 8 over. She said the poor performances wouldn't deter her from playing in men's events.
Old November 24th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
At this point, one has to ask, why is she still seeking to play against the men? I have no probs with her challenging in the PGA but clearly she's not at that level, why does she look down on the LPGA? It's not like she's dominating in that league either?
Old December 25th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Kia`aina

The real problem is that she turned pro much too early.
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Ali`i

Okay Michelle.... nuff already... try win some LPGA event first.
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Luna

I wonder how Tadd Fujikawa's success at the Sony last week will affect Team Wie's game plan. It's the first time in quite a while that she probably hasn't been considered Hawaii's favorite golfer. Even before Tadd's run it seemed she'd begun losing some of the home court advantage when signs were posted adjoining Waialae questioning her inclusion in the field.

It seems clear to just about everybody outside her circle that she doesn't belong on the PGA Tour, at least right now. As a fan myself, I find it painful to see her continue to fail at this level, and continue to trot out the same excuses explanations rationalizations speeches that her sponsor-provided spin doctors coach her say. Maybe *she* believes that "it's not a marketing plan", but don't think that Sony and Nike feel that it isn't when they see all the media she attracts while brandishing their logos.

The LPGA season is just about to start up at Ko Olina and last I heard Michelle hadn't committed to play either there or Turtle Bay the following week. Even on this tour she's losing some of her shine - she's 17 now and has yet to win a tournament. Not that it takes away any of her talent, but a lot of the initial buzz was as "child phenom", which largely doesn't apply anymore as she's (too) quickly becoming a woman, and other rising stars like Hawaii's own Kimberly Kim are coming up quickly. If she fails to win on the ladies' tour this year, it's just going to get harder next year when she's attending Stanford full time.
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:02 PM
Ali`i

Bummer. According to this Breaking News story on the Advertiser's website:

"Michelle Wie withdrew from the Ginn Tribute today after playing much of the first round with bandaged wrists and shooting 14 over par through 16 holes.
"After Wie bogeyed the par-4 seventh -- her 16th as she started on the back nine -- the 17-year-old Punahou School senior told an LPGA tour official: "We're not going to play anymore."
(...)
"Wie's round included a 10 on the par-5 No. 3 hole. She triple-bogeyed another hole.
"Starting on the back nine on the River Towne Country Club in Mount Pleasant S.C., Wie's game went south almost immediately as she played the first five holes in 7-over.
"She opened with a par and then went bogey, double bogey, bogey and triple bogey on successive holes. She bogeyed hole No. 16 to fall to 8-over before closing with a birdie-3 on hole No. 18 to make the turn at 7-over 43.
"Wie parred the first two holes on her back nine before recording a 10 on the par-5 No. 3.
"She then bogeyed the par-4 No. 5 -- her 14th -- to fall to 13-over. After recording another bogey on her 16th hole, Wie withdrew."

But Michelle wasn't the only wrist-plagued golfer this morning, as noted at this link, also from the Advertiser's site:

"The looming duel between Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson at the Memorial Tournament disappeared before Woods even hit his first shot: Mickelson withdrew with an injured left wrist after 11 holes.
"I don't think it's anything serious but it just got worse. I couldn't grab the club and I couldn't swing," said Mickelson, who was 2 over through 11 holes today before returning to the clubhouse. "I hit a wedge on 2 and it got really aggravated."

Old May 31st, 2007, 01:58 PM
Luna

Oh geez, the Michelle-haters are gonna have a field day with this! There is so much resentment towards her already (some justified) because of her huge endorsement deals and sponsor exemptions into men's and women's events that some (many?) say she hasn't earned based on her lack of winning a tournament. She gets into these events because she sells tickets, period. But how long will she continue to do so? Her sell-by date seems to be fast approaching, especially now that her rival Morgan Pressel became the youngest woman to win an LPGA major a couple months back.

I just hope that her injury heals quickly enough for her to bounce back and fulfill at least some of the potential she's been riding for the past few years.
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:16 PM
kamuelakea

I am not a Michelle Wie hater. However, from the beginning, I have expressed concern about what appears to me to be typical controlling 1 child parent syndrome.

Everytime I've done that, people call me a Wie hater.

I have always felt a little sorry for the girl. She's been used and pimped like a race horse.

I think the poor girl is feeling the pressure of having lost most of her high school years to golf. I think she's got her mind on going to college away from her controling parents and getting on with her life.

These girls usually end up rebelling at the next stage of life. Colored hair, piercings, sex, boyfriends of races the parents won't celebrate. In her recent interviews, it seemed very clear to me that she was excited and elated to be leaving Hawaii and probably mostly the grip of her parents and the whole media circus.

I hope she lets go and has a blast in college and starts to catch up on the fun of life that she missed out on.
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:08 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCal Boy View Post
I wonder how Tadd Fujikawa's success at the
As a fan myself, I find it painful to see her continue to fail at this level, and continue to trot out the same excuses explanations rationalizations speeches that her sponsor-provided spin doctors coach her say.
This sums up my feelings for Wie. So much talent, not enough mental toughness (compare her to Morgan Pressel, whom I dislike, but respect tremendously), and full of excuses. It's always wrist this, or conditions that, or fatigue whatever. Own up to your bad play, take criticisms and learn from them, and work hard to get better. It seems like kids in general have aversions to being criticized. Can't let it affect you like that, especially if you are one to go seeking praise and adoration.