Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Player's Place
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Michelle Wie

No more free passes to the US Women's Open. Michelle is going to have to earn her spot by qualifying, in a cattle call with over a thousand other hopefuls.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ING02/80501064

Now, the U.S. Women's Open might be the only major she is eligible to play provided she qualifies.

What a change from 2 years ago, when the talk was all about how Michelle would do against the men, as domination of the LPGA was assumed.

Let me go on the record right now: I think that if Michelle Wie fails to appear in any LPGA major this year and she doesn't win any other tournaments, Nike or Sony (or possibly both) will drop their sponsorships of her.

If that happens, I hope that her endorsement money is in good hands. Can't always trust your parents. Ask Gary Coleman and Dominque Moceanu.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:16 AM
Ali`i

Was it bad for Michelle Wie a couple weeks back when Danica Patrick, Tad Fujikawa, and Lenora Ochua won their events? Danica Patrick is linked to Michelle Wie during the hype of the up and coming young women competing against men. Tad Fujikawa won a professional tournament in the group of young golfers from Hawaii. Lenora Ochua is being dominate in women's golf by winning consecutive tournaments which Michelle Wie was projected to accomplish.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:11 AM
Ali`i

Sorry, but Michelle Wie is NON-NEWSWORTHY at this time. She has to WIN, or at least COMPETE, to earn any headlines.

No more excuses about wrist injuries and the like. That's getting OLD .....
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Ali`i

First round of the LPGA's Michelob Ultra Open has come and gone. Leading so far is Mhairi McKay, with an 8-under 63. Hot on her trail are Annika Sorenstam (-7) and Lorena Ochoa (-6).

Michelle? A 4-over 75, which gives her a score better than only 10 golfers in a field of 144. Translation? Don't hold your breath expecting her to make the cut for this weekend.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...-1/SPORTSFRONT
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Ali`i

Michelle's second round at the Michelob results in an even-par 71, which is not good enough to make the cut.

Next stop for the Big Wiesy: June 9. US Women's Open qualifying at Maryland.
Old July 14th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Ali`i

By the way, Michelle Wie finished tie for 46th place in a golf tournament this past weekend. She won $4,831. Just keeping her name in the loop.

Last edited by Walkoff Balk; July 14th, 2008 at 11:56 PM. Reason: add
Old July 18th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Ali`i

WOW!
Check this out:

Quote:
Honolulu's Michelle Wie, buoyed by an opening-hole eagle, shot a second-round 7-under 65 and is in second place in the LPGA State Farm Classic at Panther Creek Country Club in Springfield, Ill.
Wie's two-round total is 12-under 132.
First-round leader Christina Kim followed her opening-round 63 with a 68 and has the lead at 13-under 131.
C'mon, Michelle! Make us proud. You GO, girl!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old July 18th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
Sorry, but Michelle Wie is NON-NEWSWORTHY at this time. She has to WIN, or at least COMPETE, to earn any headlines.

No more excuses about wrist injuries and the like. That's getting OLD .....
That's the thing with sports, isn't it? Either she wins or we ignore her, local girl or not. Either you're something or you're nothing. Sums up the Aloha spirit.
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Ali`i

There's a fan who yells out, "You Da Man," after Tiger Woods tees off at a new hole. Will a fan shout out, "You Da Tita," when Michelle Wie takes her drive from the tee?
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Ali`i

Some "fan" will invariably shout "IN THE HOLE" when Tiger tees off on a PAR 5!

Some people have been so vicious when MW was playing poorly. Now that she's been doing well, they're NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Ali`i

She was leading the tournament today for a while, then ended the round in second place... at which time they informed her she had been disqualified for not signing her scorecard yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Something about how she had stepped in and then outside the marked area before she turned in her card.
SHEESH.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Kia`aina

Details from ESPN:http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3496673

Very unfortunate.
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:43 PM

From KGMB9.com

Quote:
Wie Disqualified After Great 3rd Round at LPGA State Farm Written by KGMB9 News - news@kgmb9.com
July 19, 2008 11:07 AM

Punahou grad Michelle Wie looked to be in great shape after shooting a round of 5-under par during Saturday's Round 3 at the LPGA State Farm Classic. The 18-year-old had the outright lead for a period of time, before bogeying the 18th hole to fall into 2nd place.

However, after her round, she was informed that she was disqualified from the tournament because she failed to sign her score card after Friday's Round 2.
I don't follow golf or sports all that closely, but then I was hoping Michelle would at least finish with good rounds given play of the last few days. Now to hear about not filling out a simple card.... how stupid can that be? How many tournaments has she been in?

I mean it would not be a big deal if she was in her usual 132nd place, but in the top 10 and at #2 yesterday and again today? Only to blow it on a simple technicality.

Sad indeed.

Does Michelle Wie have a coach or support staff to make sure these details are taken care of?

Last edited by mel; July 19th, 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old July 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Ali`i

Too strange. After reading the thread (after I read the story re the forgotten card) I cannot begin to understand why this girl did what she did. Especially when she was doing well, and her tournament DEPENDED on her signing her scorecard. She was in the tent, (IN THE TENT, NOW) I would think for the direct purpose of signing said card.

It's difficult to find any sympathy for this. Am I missing some other reason?
Old July 19th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
Too strange. After reading the thread (after I read the story re the forgotten card) I cannot begin to understand why this girl did what she did. Especially when she was doing well, and her tournament DEPENDED on her signing her scorecard. She was in the tent, (IN THE TENT, NOW) I would think for the direct purpose of signing said card.
It's difficult to find any sympathy for this. Am I missing some other reason?
Every parent of a teenager can understand what Michelle Wie is thinking (or not thinking) and why she makes the mistakes she's made...

I find it pathetic interesting that for some "unfortunate" reason the tournament directors just weren't able to discover what was happening in their own scoring tent until the second round had already gained a full house of free-spending customers started... I'd like to see your average tournament director wait until the end of the round to tell Tiger Woods or Fred Daly that they'd just wasted all that effort.

"Now, Fred, big fella, maybe you should just put the putter down... Fred? Hey!!"
Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Ali`i

Hey, XXit happens. It shouldn't have, but it did.
I hate golf, but I would like to see MW succeed and she'll have to suck it up extra on this one and put it behind her.
It's got to play on her mind, tho, after finally getting it going. What a drag!

Break and clear! Go girl!
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'd like to see your average tournament director wait until the end of the round to tell Tiger Woods or Fred Daly that they'd just wasted all that effort.
I have to speak as an avid golfer as well as a rabid golf fan (these are not the same thing, btw.) I'm guessing you are not a fan yourself, as I'm pretty sure you're trying to refer to John Daly, rather than "Fred."

"Your average" tournament director would do exactly what this one did, and every professional tournament director would do. They're following the rules of their tour, and by extension, the USGA Rules of Golf. These rules are not, as any golfer will tell you, necessarily "fair" to any one golfer, however they are designed to ensure that there is a completely level playing field. In essence, that makes it "fair" to every golfer.

The LPGA officials (as opposed to the tournament staff - these are two separate entities) were not made aware of the violation until midway through her round, so no action could be taken until it was complete. You see, there's also a rule that allows the golfer to tell his/her side of the story before the committee makes its official ruling. It wouldn't be fair to Michelle to notify her mid-round that she'd have to account for her actions the day before - that would be a huge distraction, and what if after her interview she was then not disqualified? You may recall when she was DQ'd from another tournament a few years back. This again was only after she was given the opportunity to describe the situation before a penalty was levied.

Golf is funny in that it's the only sport that depends upon its own participants to call penalties upon themselves. It's a large part of what makes it a game of honor. Much as I'm disappointed for Michelle myself, I'm quite sure that she would be the first to say that she broke the rule and she should suffer the consequences. Again, it's not "fair," but it is fair.

As many of you know, this isn't even the most tragic example of a Hawaii golfer getting disqualified for a tournament over a "technicality." In 1957 Jackie Pung had apparently won the US Women's Open, but she was later DQ'd for signing an incorrect scorecard. Short write-up on it here.
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Ali`i

She'll never make that mistake again. I swear, it is such a hard way to learn a lesson. She has to move on.
Old July 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
Some people have been so vicious when MW was playing poorly. Now that she's been doing well, they're NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!
*points to oceanpacific*

Found one.
Old July 19th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Kumu

I thought she made that mistake before. Then her caddy was fired after that. Someone may have more Michelle Wie knowledge.
Old July 19th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Ali`i

I can imagine what the fallout will be. Yet another Wie caddy will bite the dust.
Old July 19th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Ali`i

Yeah! I was thinking this was a repeat offense too, and that her caddy will pay. But she has to accept the blame as well this time, and just focus on getting on with it.
Old July 19th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Ali`i

Those tournament officials wouldn't DQ Happy Gilmore. He even had a fistfight with Bob Barker.
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCal Boy View Post
I have to speak as an avid golfer as well as a rabid golf fan (these are not the same thing, btw.) I'm guessing you are not a fan yourself, as I'm pretty sure you're trying to refer to John Daly, rather than "Fred."
Gosh, I guess using the wrong name does totally invalidate the point I was trying to make-- never mind.

It makes just as much sense as correlating a golfer's tournament performance with how far away they're allowed to get from their card before they sign it. But hey, if that rule is important to the sanctity of the sport then she'll learn to remember it. Or, inferring from some of the other comments, someone will remember to remind her to follow it...
Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
*points to oceanpacific*

Found one.
Of course they're coming out of the woodwork now that she's blundered again. This is her second DQ. The first time, she took relief WITHOUT consulting a rules official - she essentially signied an incorrect scorecard because it didn't include the penalty strokes she was later assessed.