Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 4th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Ali`i

Default Doctor Who on SciFi

There was a promo on the SciFi Channel saying that they will be showing a new Doctor Who series starting on March 17.
Old March 4th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Doctor Who on SciFi

I saw that while we were watching SG Atlantis - sounds interesting.
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

If you're curious, it premieres tonight. Here's a review by the New York Times:
Quote:
Like so much British science fiction, especially Douglas Adams's "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series, this "Doctor Who" has a goofy, homemade quality; it's less interested in gizmos than in characters.
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon
If you're curious, it premieres tonight. Here's a review by the New York Times:
Thanks for the heads up and the link. We will watch and see if it meets our rather low standards for sci-fi entertainment!
Old March 18th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Ali`i

just watched the last 15 minutes of dr who and it's pretty quirky; much funnier than i thought it be. (was the first 45 minutes good?)
Old October 9th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Ali`i

I am a fickle fickle person. I was so sad to hear that Christopher Eccleston was not going to be the Doctor beyond the first season. I couldn't imagine him being replaced. But David Tennant. mmmmmm, David Tennant is a very good Doctor. Sad to hear that
Billie Piper will be leaving the show
, though.

Last edited by Adri; October 9th, 2006 at 06:03 AM.
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Ali`i

ive watched all of it already, im suprised that theyre airing s02 already. maybe this will mean s03 will be aired the same time when the next season starts?
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Kumu

Eccleston did breath new life into the role of Doctor Who.
But in the Doctor Who tradition that new actor dawns the role towards the end of the season. Also I heard that he did not wanna play the role anymore. So either way a new doctor changes each season supposedly. Tennant who was in the last Harry Potter movie I hate to say is excellent and kinda goes one step up from Eccleston from S1. And actress and former pop singer Billie Piper also compliments as the gal in tow.
Old October 13th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Ali`i

I don't think there is a new Doctor for each season. Part of the canon of the show is that a time lord can only regenerate twelve times and Tennant is the Tenth Doctor. So if they had a new doctor for every season, then the show ends in two more seasons after Tenant. However, I did read that Eccleston only agreed to play the Doctor for one season only and that people hoped he'd change his mind but he didn't.
Old October 13th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri View Post
IPart of the canon of the show is that a time lord can only regenerate twelve times and Tennant is the Tenth Doctor. So if they had a new doctor for every season, then the show ends in two more seasons after Tenant.
Feh, technicalities!! Heck, how many times did they kill and bring back Buffy?

And (putting on my geek hat for sure here now) it's technically possible for a time lord to regenerate more than their allotted times, because The Master did it. I'm not sure that was part of the TV show continuity or in the comic books or something, but it happened between the end of McCoy's run and the American TV movie (where he makes yet another run at regeneration).

I've been wondering about that though. They can't be too blaise about knocking off Doctors now.
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
Feh, technicalities!! Heck, how many times did they kill and bring back Buffy?
heh, one too many times, depending on which side of the fandom you belong to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
And (putting on my geek hat for sure here now) it's technically possible for a time lord to regenerate more than their allotted times, because The Master did it. I'm not sure that was part of the TV show continuity or in the comic books or something, but it happened between the end of McCoy's run and the American TV movie (where he makes yet another run at regeneration).

I've been wondering about that though. They can't be too blaise about knocking off Doctors now.
Ahhhhhh, outgeeked! hee! The truth is that I only started watching Doctor Who from last year and havena gone back to the original series or other various and sundry incarnations of the show or the character. But I do not doubt that they'd find some clever way around the 12 reincarnation limit if it came to that. It is Sci-Fi after all. *g*
Old October 14th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Kumu

Heheh, sorry for the uber-geeking there I started watching Dr Who on PBS as a kid, with John Pertwee (Doctor #3), and watched it off and on all the way up through McCoy (Doctor #7). I've just been recently catching up again since the new Eccleston ones came out. Those were totally awesome... completely in the spirit of the campiness and cheesiness of the originals, same (or better) great writing quality, but actually good special effects.

As a long time Dr Who fanboy, I have to say my favorite part of the new ones so far... EEEELEVATE!

(You always had to wonder, seeing them stop at stairs and somehow end up at the top later...)
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Ali`i

So season 3 started a few weeks ago. Episode 3 was this past weekend. So far Its been better then Season 2, even tho
Rose is no longer on the show

Anyone else watching?
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Kumu

Yes!! Liking the new season quite a bit. I'm glad they've toned down the American-style overly dramatic puke-cam antics, and brought back a bit of the old-school camp. That whole Shakespeare episode was full of classic Dr Who cheesy goodness.

Basically I was starting to get tired in the second season of the episodes looking like something Sci-Fi would produce...

Still not liking the Tennant as much as Eccleston, but I'll take it over nothing
Old April 20th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Kumu

Ya know Eccleston was not happy playing The Doctor...
He was asked to stay on but wanted out ASAP thus entering Tennant....
I think Tennant is great and adds depth to the role.
Since the revival from S1 each one gets better and better
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Kumu

I've heard all sorts of stories about why Eccleston left, he didn't want to get pidgeonholed, he had some other job he wanted to do more, he didn't want to leave, ... still not sure what happened there I still prefer him to Tennant, but Tennant's definitely getting better.

Either way, I'm still sitting there waiting for the newest episode to pop up every Saturday night so they must be doing something right

Waiting for Torchwood to come back now!
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Ali`i

I didnt like Torchwood as much. Capt Jack's character is much more subdued then his flamboyant gaiety in the Dr Who episodes he was in. I didnt see many of the Sarah series, how many episodes where there?

Also, any other BBC recommendations? I havent finished Robin Hood yet. Heard some things about HMS Camden Lock but havent found any episodes yet.
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Kumu

Torchwood comes and goes for me. Some of the episodes I thought were just absolutely awesome, others a little mediocre. I kind of liked the darker Captain Jack myself. Looking forward to seeing what they do with him in series 3 of Dr Who, if anything.

I think there was only one episode of SJSA produced so far. We grabbed it and my wife and I both thought it was moderately awful. But hey, it's meant to be a kids' show, what can you expect. It wouldn't be out of place on Nickelodeon or something. I think the first episode was produced jointly with BBC, and whatever other company was doing the show was to take it over after that if the pilot was successful. It's one of the only series on the BBC web site where you actually can't visit it if you're not in the UK... go figure.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Ali`i

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/84dc/
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Kumu

Interesting 8" replicas of Daleks saying "EXTERMINATE" "EXTERMINATE"

well ya can have them buzzing around when ya have company around the house you dislike or you have guests and its 11PM or so and they are taking a wee bit longer when leaving and ya have to get up at like 6AM in the morning.

btw for those who don't have digital cable (BBC) that is Season 3 is making its way on SCi-Fi in JULY 2007

And PBS for some reason is playing Season 1
Old July 10th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Ali`i

Been watching some of the episodes of Doctor Who with David Tennant as the 10th Doctor that have been airing on the Sci-Fi channel. Sometime I am paying attention to the episodes and other times it's just background noise at home. The ones with the Sontaran's seem pretty interesting.
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Ali`i

Was watching the episode The Stolen Earth this past Friday (7/25/08) and what got me was that after the Earth was stolen and it was placed with the other 26 or so planets, somebody says that there is a field that kept the atomsphere and heat in to keep the humans alive on Earth.

However the Daleks come in later to the episode and say "Exterminate!"
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Ali`i

Well what fun would there be for the Daleks to totally dominate a dead dead world? They gotta have someone saying "We surrender to your total greatness and un-stop-abilty." Also, it was a human who said that the field was there and would keep the humans alive. Perhaps the field is ther to keep the whales alive and the humans are so human-centered that they don't know it's not there to keep the humans alive?
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Ali`i

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7698539.stm

Noooooooooooooo! I know I said Eccleston was the best Doctor but but but then there was Tennant. and now he'll be gone.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:04 PM
Ali`i

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7808697.stm

Matt Smith is the new Doctor.