Saddle Road Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle Road Update

I took some updated pictures of the Saddle Road improvement project. If you want to see the pictures here is the link to my blog
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Saddle Road Update

Last week, I tried going over the Saddle Road from the Hilo side. Got about 20 miles in and had turn around and go back to Hilo, because someone had just died there, and the road was closed.
    Very annoying. I had to go all the way back down into Hilo and around the top of the island. By the time we got back into Hilo after turning around, we were DIZZY! At least I wasn't the guy who crashed. Is the road that dangerous ?

4 times on the Big island now, and I've still not travelled the Saddle Road across the island. I really wanted to see it, but I must say, it was really like a roller coaster.

It sure would be convenient if it went closer to Kailua Kona tho'.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
      Is the road that dangerous ?
      Last I knew, the rental car places will not let you take their cars up there.

Comment

Wish I could do a poll here... too late, I guess.

How many of you have taken a rental car over Saddle Road?

Raise your hand. Tell the truth!

*raises hand sheepishly with a devilish grin*
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
          Wish I could do a poll here... too late, I guess.

How many of you have taken a rental car over Saddle Road?

Raise your hand. Tell the truth!

*raises hand sheepishly with a devilish grin*
          We did back in '98 or '99. We also drove all the way around from Hana and around West Mountain on Maui. Guess we just don't read fine print well

Comment

Re: Saddle Road Update - More Work starting now

Good News for Big Island Residents

Today I received 2 phone calls for my rental place in Hilo today for people working on the Saddle Road Project. From what I was told, it's going to be over a year job.
            They are already working now.

Hopefully they will complete it and going between Kona and Hilo will be alot faster and easier.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Is the road that dangerous ?
              No. The drivers are just that bad here.

The real reason for the rental car ban is the rental companies don't want their cars on the mountain and wilderness roads that branch off Saddle Road. Primarily the roads up to the summits, keanakolu road, and tree planting road.

Very sad to see them wreck the rustic and scenic quality of Saddle Road and turn it into another generic speedway for people who don't care about the saddle at all. Fortunately most of the major wilderness access turn-offs haven't been blocked yet, though they did obliterate a few of the smaller parking areas. Still not clear what access will remain open when they're done. It's going to become a major mess as they get into the steeper and wetter part of the road. It's hell on my suspension. :/

Comment

Re: Saddle Road Update - More Work starting now

Good News for Big Island Residents

Today I received 2 phone calls for my rental place in Hilo today for people working on the Saddle Road Project. From what I was told, it's going to be over a year job.
                They are already working now.

Hopefully they will complete it and going between Kona and Hilo will be alot faster and easier.
                Goodfellow Brothers Inc is currently reconstructing the m.m 19 to 28 segment of Saddle Road. It is my understanding that they've completed the paving up
                until m.m 26. They are on schedule to be completed in June 2008.

http://www.cflhd.gov/projects/StateP...ojectUID=10385

GBI won the contract to complete the grading between m.m 35 and m.m 41. In June 2008, the bids will be opened to do the paving of this segment of roadway. Which should be opened to traffic in 2009.

After that CFLHD is going to re-construct the m.m 6-9 and m.m 9-19 segments of Saddle Road. The last phase of Saddle Road that will be re-aligned is the m.m 41 to Mamalahoa Highway segment. Currently a updated EIS is being done because the roadway alignment has to change. This is due to the US army purchasing 30,000 acres of Parker Ranch land for the Stryker brigade training.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post

Very sad to see them wreck the rustic and scenic quality of Saddle Road and turn it into another generic speedway for people who don't care about the saddle at all.
                  No wonder there is such a political divide between East and West Hawaii. The new Saddle Road will help bridge that divide by providing and quicker and safer access between the island. Yes its very beautiful up there, but to me vehicle safety is more paramount than the environment. Plus there is a huge amount of people who work at the South Kohala Resorts and live in East Hawaii.

One thing people forget is the sad state of the bridges on the Hamakua Coast. That road is currently the lifeline for this island. If one of those bridges
                  gets damaged this island will be in world of hurt. Thus a secondary cross island route is needed.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

My Hilo friend tells me most of the Saddle Road between Hilo and Pohakuloa is in decent shape. He says the segment from Pohakuloa to near Waimea where it meets Highway 190 is still awful, winding, narrow and very bumpy. What is the timetable to get this entire highway done? Anyone have photographs of the newer sections?
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      My Hilo friend tells me most of the Saddle Road between Hilo and Pohakuloa is in decent shape. He says the segment from Pohakuloa to near Waimea where it meets Highway 190 is still awful, winding, narrow and very bumpy. What is the timetable to get this entire highway done? Anyone have photographs of the newer sections?
                      There is pictures of the first phase of the new Saddle Road (between m.m 28 and 35) here

http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Saddle-Road.htm

I contributed to that above website those updated photos. I have more photos if you'd like to see them also.

Below is the timeline as far as I understand

m.m 28 to 35- Already opened to the public
                      m.m 19 to 28- Under construction, completion slated for July 2008
                      m.m 35 to 41- Contract to complete grading awarded to Goodfellow Brothers.
                      The pavement contract should be awarded in June 2008 with completion slated in 2009.

After that, the m.m 6-9 to m.m 9-19 should be reconstructed. The m.m 41
                      to Malamahoa Highway will be the last segment done.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                      X