Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OHA may end up with Puna rainforest

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
    So the entire basis of the United States involvement in World War II was to win the war for Hawaiians? Sansei, if I were to give you a penny for your thoughts, I 'd expect change.
    thank you, keanu!

if the united states had not illegally overthrown the hawaiian kingdom, IMO, i would think that england would have been it's closest ally at the time. or, should i say, pre-WWs.

history is repeating itself: afghanistan and iraq. there's a difference. they have their land and their own governments.
    Last edited by kani-lehua; March 22, 2008, 02:49 PM.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to keanu.it's true from a source i learned that if it werent for the American's and Japanese American's,the hawaiian poplulation would've been wiped out and we american's with our counter part's the japanese american's wouldnt have to worry that the hawaiian population would try to take our home's,land's that like our father's purchased for our familie's and we wouldnt go back to living back in the old day's when their were king's and queen's so I hope this may help with your thought's?

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
        The Japanese goal was to conquer as much of the world as they could. It was a mistake for Japan to attack Pearl Harbor. They thought by crippling Pearl Harbor it would allow them to control the Pacific.
        What Admiral Yamamoto was hoping for was to cripple the US fleet in the Pacific in that one strike at Pearl Harbor. Although the attack resulted in 8 destroyed or damaged battleships (along with several other wrecked cruisers and destroyers), Japanese intelligence knew the attack fell short of its objectives when it was discovered that no aircraft carriers and submarines were destroyed. This, combined with the American oil storage facilities emerging intact from the battle, allowed the US to effectively respond to the Japanese aggression. This was the scenario that Yamamoto wanted to avoid, and this was why he regarded the attack on Pearl Harbor to have been a failure instead of being a great victory for Japan.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
          hi this is sansei and in response to keanu.it's true from a source i learned that if it werent for the American's and Japanese American's,the hawaiian poplulation would've been wiped out and we american's with our counter part's the japanese american's wouldnt have to worry that the hawaiian population would try to take our home's,land's that like our father's purchased for our familie's and we wouldnt go back to living back in the old day's when their were king's and queen's so I hope this may help with your thought's?

Well thank's for your time

Your source is almost as clueless as you.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            What Admiral Yamamoto was hoping for was to cripple the US fleet in the Pacific in that one strike at Pearl Harbor. Although the attack resulted in 8 destroyed or damaged battleships (along with several other wrecked cruisers and destroyers), Japanese intelligence knew the attack fell short of its objectives when it was discovered that no aircraft carriers and submarines were destroyed. This, combined with the American oil storage facilities emerging intact from the battle, allowed the US to effectively respond to the Japanese aggression. This was the scenario that Yamamoto wanted to avoid, and this was why he regarded the attack on Pearl Harbor to have been a failure instead of being a great victory for Japan.

Absolutely correct.

Japan viewed the United States as the only real impediment to its hegemony in the western Pacific, and developed 3 doctrines to defeat the American Navy. The first doctrine assumed that the primary way to secure victory was through a decisive battle waged against the American fleet. The second doctrine focused on a defensive posture which relied on a relatively small
            number of ships to act as a fleet-in-being. The opposing view, which favored a "decisive victory" doctrine, was championed by the Combined Fleet Staff and, perhaps more importantly, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto. This doctrine embodied a more aggressive, offensive strategy. By December 1941, through the influence of Yamamoto, the "decisive battle" doctrine prevailed.

The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor had been a tactical success but the Japanese did not destroy the American carrier force in the Pacific. The American carriers were the only remaining element preventing Japanese naval hegemony in the Pacific. I think it's safe to assume that ultimately, the American carrier force won the war for the Americans in the Pacific.

What I don't know is what any of this has to do with OHA.

Comment

once again, thank you keanu!

the hawaiians weren't the ones who put the japanese americans into camps and confiscated their lands. it was the united states that did that and made reparations to them. the hawaiians are asking for the same thing and for federal recognition as native peoples.
              "chaos reigns within.
              reflect, repent and reboot.
              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Whether the US took over Hawaii or not, the Japanese would have invaded it for pure military purposes (just like the US) because of Hawaii's geographical position in the Pacific Ocean.

Admiral Yamamoto also believed this was one huge mistake as he did have reservations after the attack on Pearl. He indicated later that Japan had only awakened a sleeping giant.

And a few years later, that giant dropped not one but two bombs that devastated the country of Japan.

Either way because of Hawaii's strategic location in the Pacific Ocean, in time one country would have invaded Hawaii. Great Britain, Russia, Japan, the US, Spain, China perhaps? Who knows but one thing is certain, Hawaii couldn't defend itself against a well-subsidized war machine from virtually any country bent on world domination. It would have had to ally itself with a country of similar beliefs to fight off any invasion. I'm sure at that time the US would have offered help as it knew that Hawaii's position would allow any hostile enemy to stage attacks against the west coast of America.

I believe one way or another the US would be involved with Hawaiian affairs.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Whether the US took over Hawaii or not, the Japanese would have invaded it for pure military purposes (just like the US) because of Hawaii's geographical position in the Pacific Ocean.

Admiral Yamamoto also believed this was one huge mistake as he did have reservations after the attack on Pearl. He indicated later that Japan had only awakened a sleeping giant.

And a few years later, that giant dropped not one but two bombs that devastated the country of Japan.

Either way because of Hawaii's strategic location in the Pacific Ocean, in time one country would have invaded Hawaii. Great Britain, Russia, Japan, the US, Spain, China perhaps? Who knows but one thing is certain, Hawaii couldn't defend itself against a well-subsidized war machine from virtually any country bent on world domination. It would have had to ally itself with a country of similar beliefs to fight off any invasion. I'm sure at that time the US would have offered help as it knew that Hawaii's position would allow any hostile enemy to stage attacks against the west coast of America.

I believe one way or another the US would be involved with Hawaiian affairs.
                  Merely presumptions Craig.

The reason the Japanese fought the war in the first place was to secure access to natural resources. Their initial attacks focused on Manchuria (1932) and China (1937). Both of these provoked U.S. outrage, eventually leading to sanctions being placed on Japan. Japanese planners believed that to secure natural resources, they needed hegemony throughout the western pacific.

Japan saw the U.S. Navy, and U.S. bases, as the primary threat to their goals. The Japanese attacked the U.S. fleet at Pearl Harbor to rid themselves of this perceived threat.

If the Japanese had any thoughts of invading Hawai'i, it was to occupy Pearl Harbor to keep Pearl Harbor out of the hands of the American Navy.

Comment

Working...
                  X