Internet & Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet & Cable

DIRECTV - For 96817 = $64.98 Directv + high speed internet ph.# 1-800-370-3587 OR 1-877-762-3823

Hawaiian Telcom $20/mo for life ph.# 808-643-0812

which do you recommend??

I was thinking maybe get cable from Directv for $29.99 & get Hawaiian Telcom for internet??. would that be cheaper? or what does anyone think? & my best option to do & use??

Or just get the Direct tv package by itself??

We are already getting internet + cable with DVR with oceanic road runner, & my recent bill with them which ranges from $130 to $160 depending on whether I get extra channels like Show time etc.

Ohh, we don't need any land line anymore, we are only using our cell phone. .

What is your best recommendation??
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Re: Internet & Cable...

I have DirecTV for TV and Hawaiian Telcom for phone/dsl internet. I don't know that I'm getting the best deal, but that's where I'm coming from. Here are some considerations:
    1. DirecTV can't itself give you internet service, since the TV signal from their satellites is one way only -- down from the satellites to you. For internet, you need a two-way signal. So DirecTV will just contract out the internet service to a provider such as ATT which can actually do it for you (and, if it's ATT, it will probably use the Hawaiian Telcom wiring to your house).
    2. For internet service, speed counts. That $20/mo for life deal from Hawaiian Telcom is good, provided the speed is fast enough for your needs. For video, you probably need something faster than the minimum 3 megabits per second.
    3. My internet service from Hawaiian Telcom includes a wireless router. Looking at alternatives, you might take this into account.
    Greg

Comment

Look carefully at the Hawaiian Telcom $20 for life offer - you may have to also sign up for phone service to get that price.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
        Look carefully at the Hawaiian Telcom $20 for life offer - you may have to also sign up for phone service to get that price.
        I may have to call them & ask about that.

Thanks Kimo & Greg Lee
        Aches & Pains

Comment

What about this one......

Ph.# 1-800-823-4929 - http://www.dish.com/

I guess if I order this, (which I saw on tv), I get free 3 months of block buster, & I am sure with other things too.

Aches & Pains

Comment

If you can get a fast enough (for streaming video) internet connection, then you don't need cable or satellite TV (unless you are a heavy sports junkie).

Many people across the nation are "cutting the cord" and doing TV with internet streams only.

Cutting the Cord: Replacing Cable/Satellite with Streaming

However, as the rates for programming through cable and satellite keep growing, many people are saying “enough”. For the first time in history, last year saw major indications that people are leaving cable and satellite for “streaming”, which is receiving TV programming through a service like Netflix or Hulu, using your existing broadband Internet connection. And, as options get better and technology catches up, millions are finding that “cutting the cord” is the way to slash their entertainment costs while satisfying their hunger for programming. Apple’s iTunes is also offering content through their own AppleTV service.
            I am living without cable TV and have been happy with that choice for 2 years now. I was a long time cable TV subscriber from back in 1984 when standard cable rates from Oceanic was $13 for 36 standard channels and another $14 per premium channel. I was standard for a while back then, then took HBO until 1993. My Betamax died that year and I ditched premium.

I stuck with standard cable after that but continued to see the rates rise to the point where it was $62/mo for analog cable in early 2011. My TV broke in January of that year and I decided to ditch everything, most happily the monthly bill.

Cable TV forces you to pay for many channels that you don't watch, even with limited analog service... more for digital. And the price keeps going up.

Same with satellite I presume.

So cut the cord I did.

Now I only watch free streaming content via Hulu.com, the 4 major TV network websites, CSPAN, Fox News, CNN, NBC Sports, YouTube, and many others with streaming content. For me, so far, all on my computer. Not bad when the only cost that I have to bear is for internet connectivity and a small bit for the electricity the computer uses.

There are subscription services for streaming such as NetFlix and Hulu Plus, but so far I have resisted them. Also if you buy any of the set top boxes such as Apple TV, Roku or Boxee, you may have to subscribe to some type of service if there is something you want to watch on them.

For me settling for whatever I can get "free" is good enough for me. It is only TV after all.

More Links to "Cutting the Cord" (Google)
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              Cable TV forces you to pay for many channels that you don't watch, even with limited analog service... more for digital. And the price keeps going up.

Same with satellite I presume.
              Pretty much the same with DirecTV, which has lots of sports channels -- no use to me, because I don't follow sports. (Those who do, don't like paying for some of the channels I watch, either.) There are price increases every year; a few days ago, they told me.
              In 2013, the programming costs we pay to owners of television channels will increase by about 8.0%, but we have chosen to adjust the prices our customers pay by an average of only 4.5%. On February 7, 2013, new pricing will be applied to DIRECTV programming packages and services.
              On the other hand, DirecTV will start carrying 8 channels newly converted from SD to HD this week and next, and its picture quality and sound are generally first class, for HD at least.
              Greg

Comment

With the cost of hard drives nowadays, it is possible to archive everything onsite.

The cloud is useful to an extent but I do not want my

digital eggs all held in one basket.

My external hard drives have seen many computers come and go.
                At the end of the day, it's not the device that is important ,but all that

data.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  There are subscription services for streaming such as NetFlix and Hulu Plus, but so far I have resisted them. Also if you buy any of the set top boxes such as Apple TV, Roku or Boxee, you may have to subscribe to some type of service if there is something you want to watch on them.

For me settling for whatever I can get "free" is good enough for me. It is only TV after all.
                  You want "free" cable TV programming that is streamed over the internet? Get your hands on an Apple TV.... and jailbreak that baby. Free ESPN channels, NFL Network, NBA TV, HBO, TNT, and the list goes on. Only trouble is,.... none of it is in HD quality. So for a videophile like me, it's definitely not a substitute for a cable TV subscription.

But if you're not fussy about "less than 1080p" picture quality, a jailbroken Apple TV is a godsend for the frugal cord-cutter.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: Internet & Cable

I've found that my old western digital set top device allows playing .iso files.

They are sort of file that looks like a dvd but is actually a computer file system mirror of the data on the disc.

The disc burns from these will sometimes play in sony devices but more so

on samsung players.

Comment

Re: Internet & Cable

I learned a valuable lesson when I call to any companies such as a cable company etc. or to whoever, that I SHOULD use a " *67 ", right before the phone number I am about to call , I didn't eve know that they would call me back just to follow up, even though, I did make mention that my hubby & I ONLY HAD A QUESTION or 2 or more, nothing more.

A lesson learned for the next times that I do call for just questions. Unless they have the technology to unblock my number to do a follow up? could they do that?.
                      Aches & Pains

Comment

Working...
                      X