Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Island

Aloha kakahiaka,
    Does anyone have a favorite 'local' diner on the Big Island?
    Other than the Manago Hotel, where would you like to stop in for a
    nice breakfast on a Saturday morning or lunch mid-week. I hope I can find a nice coffee shop that's not 'touristy'.

A nice little coffee shop where you can actually relax and hear yourself think.

We are in final countdown (six months) for our move. Excited isn't even
    the word! Neither is 'Ab Lounger' but that's another story. I haven't told anyone at work about our plans as yet. Yesterday was my 120th birthday and I couldn't help but get kinda teary eyed w/all the gifts, the hugs and well wishes. Looks like I'm going to be saying Aloha to many friends I really didn't know I even had. However, I'm sure more will surface once we get settled and have an extra room available, lolol.

A hui hou,
    Koale

Re: The Big Island

Dig through the archives at James' BIG ISLAND GRINDS food blog. There's a WEALTH of information on places such as what you mentioned (and then some) on his site.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

My favorite, Ken's! Open 24/7 .

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I love, love, love, love Ken's House of Pancakes. Don't know if it fits the criteria, though. It's not quiet, nor small, nor devoid of tourists (sometimes the mix goes past 50/50). When it's busy you'll wait for parking, then wait for a seat, and I don't think it'd be a good idea to settle into a booth and sip coffee for four hours. Maybe a hole-in-the-wall downtown, on Kilauea Ave., may be a better bet.

Comment

In Hilo two come immediately to mind:
          1. Bear's Coffee on Keawe St . Downtown Hilo. Sidewalk cafe-style, great food.
          2. Kopekope at the Hilo Shopping Center. Free wireless when you order; great lounging action + poetry slams and cool stuff; check their calendar.

Hilo has two HOP style cafes: IHOP (in the PKSC) and Ken's. IHOP has young workers, is new to the area, and hasn't worked out any of their kinks. Ken's has old-skool staff, fast, a tried&true menu and a fine cup of joe.
          Nothing much in Keaau.

All along Pahoa town there's cool joints that fit the request. Likewise in Volcano Village.

In Kona my favorite cafe, that was right on Ali'i Drive and was there since before I was born, closed up a yr/two ago. I am at a loss at a replacement recommendation.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
            In Hilo two come immediately to mind:
            1. Bear's Coffee on Keawe St . Downtown Hilo. Sidewalk cafe-style, great food.
            I completely agree with this recommendation. I love Bear's.

Comment

KEN'S for sure !
              Bears...I liked that too.

Also.The Kuhio Grill next to Starbucks in Hilo in the Kuhio Shopping Plaza.
              EXCELLENT breakfast.

Still, Ken's is my fave on the Hilo side. The Teriyaki Combo plate there is just sooo good.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I don't know about now a days but back in the late 1970's there were a few times I would go to Ken's Pancake House during the normal dinner time (between 5 pm to 6:30 pm) and the place would be sort of empty.

Comment

IHOP is actually good but expensive for a coffee shop/pancake house.

Cozmic Cones on Waianuenue has a great menu just like Cafe 100 on Kilauea, however at both places the food is less than spectacular. Same goes for all the Blaine's drive-ins (Blands). Verna's (If No Can No Can, but If Can...Verna's) actually makes a decent plate lunch. Freddies on the other hand doesn't.

If you want some decent food but are willing to pay a couple of bucks more for it try Island Infusion. Their barbecue chicken mashed potatoes and stuffed cabbage is to die for.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Ken's and Cozmic is good....the servings in Ken's are generous......always stop in there when I'm in Hilo!

Comment

In addition to Ken's, which I eat at whenever I'm in Hilo, I love Encore Grill (I think that's the name), up the road in the same shopping center as Jack in the Box. Killa food. Ahi fried rice. Woot!
                      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

KEN'S brah!
                        as mentioned above, lots of locals eat there and the waitresses are so nice and filled with aloha

If you want a quieter atmosphere, I like Bear's.
                        http://www.bigislandgrinds.com/

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                          In addition to Ken's, which I eat at whenever I'm in Hilo, I love Encore Grill (I think that's the name), up the road in the same shopping center as Jack in the Box. Killa food. Ahi fried rice. Woot!
                          Encore Grill is in the Puianako Shopping Center next to Rent-a-Center and is owned by Kuhio Grill in the Prince Kuhio Mall next to Jamba Juice and they make a killer Oyako Donburi.

Ken's makes a great #17 (Kalbi Plate) but don't eat the Won Ton. Apparently the Won Ton is raw (pork) inside the wrap and they think the hot soup base is gonna cook it. Unless you like your ground pork pink and on the rare side, don't eat the Won Ton at Ken's. My wife has had it several times and on every occasion has gotten sick from it.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                          X