Nuclear energy - safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nuclear energy - safe?

LOL! Gotta love some of the euphemisms that are being bandied about here re: nuclear energy.

In the meantime, none of the pro-nuclear energy proponents have been able to address the very real issue I brought up in post #9. What the heck are we going to do with all the nuclear waste that continues to accumulate, even as we speak?

Ignoring the issue doesn't make the problem go away, alas.

I'm realistic enough to know that with nuclear providing about 20% of this country's electrical needs, it is not an energy source that can be completely shut down tomorrow. But to expand its use with no firm plan on how to handle waste disposal is just plain ludicrous.

Morally, I find it shameful. The people of today enjoying the benefits of nuclear power, while leaving it up to their children and grandchildren to be burdened with the problem of handling the radioactive waste.

And please,.... spare me the speech about science coming up with safe and peaceful ways to re-process the waste. I've been hearing that same, hollow claptrap from nuclear reactor applicants for over 30 years. It's like a chronic smoker developing emphysema, but continuing to smoke anyway because of a fervent hope that a cure will be found before he dies. Some plan, huh?

Even if the hurdle of NIMBY politics can be overcome to create a permanent storage site for waste, the capacity for such repositories won't be infinite. This will be an ongoing issue and concern.

Until a plan is developed on how to permanently deal with nuclear waste, I say that there should be a moratorium on the building of all new reactors. In addition, aging plants should not have their operating permits extended, particularly if they no longer have the means to safely store depleted rods.

Remember folks: Japan's radiation threat is coming from spent nuclear rods that were supposedly tucked away safely in storage pools.

I repeat: Ignoring the issue of dealing with nuclear waste does not make the problem go away.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 22, 2011, 11:30 AM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

All the nuclear waste in the world should be dumped in Texas.

Comment

When speaking of Nuclear Energy.......

there is simply no humanitarian, defensible position for the tragic, LONG TERM consequence of an accident, regardless if the source/cause of the accident is tsunami, human error, design flaw, locational ignorance, Act of God, Mother Nature, Father Time, Zeus, Mohammed, or yo Momma!!!!!!

The alternatives are....

TOO NUMEROUS
        TOO PERFECTLY SUITED TO THE INDIVIDUAL LOCATOINS
        EXCEPTIONALLY VARIETAL FROM SUN, WIND, WATER, MAGNETICS
        FAR LESS GOVERNMENTALLY INTRUSIVE
        COMPLETELY SMALL SCALE PORTABLE AND LARGE SCALE INDUSTRIAL

The Grid will die a slow death in MY lifetime.
        From my Summer of Love perspective, I'd bet the farm on it.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Tokyo tap water unsafe at 2x the safe level for radioactive iodine: one of the largest cities in the world, over 13 million people, without safe tap water.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            In the meantime, none of the pro-nuclear energy proponents have been able to address the very real issue I brought up in post #9. What the heck are we going to do with all the nuclear waste that continues to accumulate, even as we speak?
            The US' growing nuclear waste problem.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
              Tokyo tap water unsafe at 2x the safe level for radioactive iodine: one of the largest cities in the world, over 13 million people, without safe tap water.
              And, "Authorities said above-safety radiation levels had been discovered in 11 types of vegetables from the area, in addition to milk and water."
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

maybe we should be looking at not if we need nuclear energy and not if we should be going green, but more at reducing our need for electricity in general.

when I was a kid anyone with handheld electronic gadgets was considered a geek. At home the only electronic device to do homework with was an electric typewriter (as opposed to the good old Underwood manual typewriter). We had one phone and it was wired near the kitchen. We had one tv set.

Now the most common electrical device is the power strip because we need to plug in more and more devices!
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Butterfly mutations blamed on Japanese nuclear leaks (StarBulletin):

The results show the butterflies were deteriorating both physically and genetically, with the share of those showing abnormalities increasing from 12 percent in the first generation to 18 percent in the second and 34 percent in the third.

The researchers also demonstrated the effects of internal exposure to radiation by feeding leaves from plants from the area near the Fukushima nuclear plant to the butterfly larvae.

"The possible risk of internal exposure from ingestion should be investigated more accurately in the near future," it said.
                  So proof is finally coming about on the dangers of ingesting food that has been exposed to radiation.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                    So proof is finally coming about on the dangers of ingesting food that has been exposed to radiation.
                    As far as I know only the Bulbuls eat Monarch butterflies, both the butterfly and the larva (caterpillar). Since Monarchs are trans-continental, it is in our interest to eliminate Bulbuls, right?

Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      You are forgetting the partial meltdown at Fermi 1 in 1966, the Windscale fire in 1957, the "incidents" at Chalk River, and dozens of other accidents that have led to radiation leaks, fuel-rod damage, long-term shutdowns, and fatalities. Yes, fatalities: Charleston, RI, 1964; Buenos Aires, 1983; Tokai-mura, 1999. There have been many more incidents than just Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, and that's just the civilian-operated reactors.
                      Thank the Internet for Leo!

I have never even heard about these other radioactive leaks!

Every gain has its payback, and we can not forget that.

Nothing is free - not even freedom.
                      ~ ~

Comment

Matapule, I am with you on the restrictions on placement and operation of nuclear plants.
                        Unfortunately, since you have ME on 'ignore it's not something we can discuss - but I am aligned with your views.
                        ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post

Is that why the price of poke is high?

Comment

My error again, it is StarAdvertiser. At least I am consistant.

Comment

Some of the larger atmospheric weapons tests raised levels of radioactive Strontium

to alarming levels. Strontium is very close to Calcium in it's chemistry and
                              the element can be placed in the bodies skeletal structure.
                              The studies conducted on the Lapp peoples confirmed that the caribou /reindeer
                              had eaten much contaminated food.
                              Last edited by lensperson; August 23, 2012, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Nuclear energy - safe and beneficial!

That reactor-in-the-sky has been bathing our planet with nuclear energy since before life on Earth began, can you get any safer or more beneficial than that?
                                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                                X