Happy Earth Day 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Earth Day 2011

Happy Earth Day everyone! Do something nice for yourself by doing something nice today for the earth.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: Happy Earth Day

Yes happy earth day!
    I sure love this planet.
    http://www.earthday.org/

Even more than usual I promise to not pass any trash without picking it up.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I made a pitch to my Waikiki condo building to step up recycling efforts for residents beyond what's already available. I feel people are more inclined to recycle things like CFL bulbs, old cell phones and batteries if they can drop them at the same place as the existing recycle bins. We'll see how far I get with this idea!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        I made a pitch to my Waikiki condo building to step up recycling efforts for residents beyond what's already available. I feel people are more inclined to recycle things like CFL bulbs, old cell phones and batteries if they can drop them at the same place as the existing recycle bins. We'll see how far I get with this idea!
        Tutu, you are a credit to us old folks! Not only do you drive an Insight and now this too! You are earning credits with the Great God Maui. Malie! BTW, Best Buy will take a lot of this stuff too. It is an honor to have you in the Green Zone.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The idea was born out of selfishness, Matapule. I thought about it when driving a few miles to Home Depot to recycle *ONE* CFL bulb! Even with an Insight I was probably creating a bigger environmental problem with the driving, not to mention the price of gas. One thing I don't have room for in my postage stamp size crib is things that no longer work. There's just no place to save up stuff.

My building has recycle bins for glass, plastic, aluminum and paper on each floor in the trash rooms. I've requested smaller bins for CFLs and batteries/cell phones be mounted on each trash room's wall. It's a "Field of Dreams" idea...build it and they will come! Rather, make it easy and convenient and the residents and employees will comply. Well, some of 'em! If housekeeping will collect the new recyclables like they already collect from the current bins and consolidate in the basement 'til there's enough worth toting to Home Depot, I'm happy to be the toter. Beats toting just one CFL!!! We'll see how far I get!

Best Buy has bins for cell phones and rechargeable batteries. Cables and alkaline batteries can be turned in at customer service. I've heard that it's ok to throw alkaline batteries in the trash but, for some reason, I'm not comfortable with that. Home Depot has bins for CFLs and batteries. Fortunately, BB and HD are across the street from each other...esp. considering reports of gas possibly hitting $6/gallon.

Comment

Well, I did my part. Walked around Ala Moana beach and picked up stray paper and plastic bags for about an hour. That was my way of saying thank you to 'mother earth.'

Comment

Originally posted by brah View Post
              Well, I did my part. Walked around Ala Moana beach and picked up stray paper and plastic bags for about an hour. That was my way of saying thank you to 'mother earth.'
              Right on Brah! Malama da aina
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by brah View Post
                Malo 'aupito, Brah.

Comment

'a'ole pilikia :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X