KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

I dunno. They have as much right to voice their opinion as much as we have a right to voice our opinion when the government raise our taxes, even though it is our duty to pay taxes.

Whether that is the right argument or not, I myself don't like the idea of this agreement. It's basically monopolizing the service. Personally, I think the FCC dropped the bomb on this one.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      Midweek's pair of KGMB alumni makes their views known on the merger.

Bob Jones, who bemoans the fact it is ad revenues (not journalistic standards) that sustains TV news departments.

http://www.midweek.com/content/colum..._bad_for_news/

Jade Moon, who's upset at the situation because of a loss of "tradition." (There's that word again. As if tradition ever helped any failing business when it came to meeting the payroll.)

http://www.midweek.com/content/colum...gmb_tradition/

A quick slap of reality to Bob and Jade: The soapbox upon which both of you stand (Midweek magazine) is itself a business enterprise. Midweek does not exist as a public service. And it is not carried on out of some sense of nostalgia. Get real, you two!
      I think Bob got it right. Deregulatory decisions allowed stations to reduce and/or eliminate news programming. As a result of deregulation, financial considerations became more important than serving the public. What many have forgotten is that the broadcast license is not owned by the broadcaster. It is a public trust and the beneficiaries are the viewers and the listeners. Unlike the owner of a newspaper, such as Midweek, the owner of a broadcasting station can have its license terminated for not operating in the public interest. In reality, the argument is not whether this new operating agreement will cut costs or create efficiencies or economies of scale, but rather, is it in the public interest? For a broadcast licensee, that is (or should be) the bottom line.

As far as "tradition", I side with Jade on this one...emotionally as well as from a business person's point of view. Tradition is part of the "good will" in a sale...that certain hard-to-define something extra that adds value to a property. KGMB has a rich history and tradition that, to me, makes it more the most valuable property in this entire "arrangement."

In the 1980's GE took over RCA and promptly put a major competitor out of business when it dismantled RCA and sold off most of its assets. While I don't think Raycom's intent is to take KGMB off the air, much of what it appears to be doing will diminish KGMB's presence. Killing traditions will help to speed up that process.

If you can't beat 'em...take 'em over.

Comment

While I don't agree with some of what Bob Jones said I think he really hit the nail on the head.

"Public service" and "news" is now an oxymoron in my opinion.

When was the last time any of us has read an investigative report or saw one on t.v. that exposed some form of corruption of great significance?

When was the last time any of us saw a reporter grill a person (politician, private business owner, anyone) about an issue of any substance?

In this age of high technology, computers, etc...it is easier than ever to hide corruption and even harder for reporters to find it and expose it to the light. (I'm not talking about just politicians, I'm talking about anyone)

Now is the best time to be doing something wrong, because chances are very, very good the news will never find out about it, let alone report it.
        Last edited by foolish heart; August 26, 2009, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          I don't think this will happen to the KHNL/KGMB/KFVE arrangement, sadly.

Just my gut feeling.

Knowing how companies operate, especially big, successful ones...they usually have their ducks in a row long before they decide to do something as risky as this.

Didn't one of the execs for KHNL just go on the news and state with confidence, that the arrangement will be a reality?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            Bob Jones, who bemoans the fact it is ad revenues (not journalistic standards) that sustains TV news departments ... Jade Moon, who's upset at the situation because of a loss of "tradition." (There's that word again. As if tradition ever helped any failing business when it came to meeting the payroll ... Bob and Jade: The soapbox upon which both of you stand (Midweek magazine) is itself a business enterprise. Midweek does not exist as a public service. And it is not carried on out of some sense of nostalgia. Get real, you two!
            As Random, Dale and Foolish Heart have illustrated, you’ve misinterpreted Bob and Jade’s point. Most working in the industry (and those retired from it) are well aware that ad revenue sustains t.v. news departments. What you seemingly fail to acknowledge, is that even though there was less of it made this past year, KGMB still made a profit. The problem is, that profit, including the sale of the station’s Kapi‘olani Boulevard property, was apparently still not enough to recoup MCG Capital’s purchase price of KGMB and other liabilities on the firm’s balance sheet. They were looking to make a quick substantial buck, plain and simple.

What goes to the heart of this matter (and I suspect Bob and Jade didn’t have the gravitas to squeeze into a MidWeek column) is that what business does an investment firm have in purchasing a t.v. news station in the first place? If a seasoned broadcast operator like Emmis Communications couldn’t make it work, why wouldn’t MCG executives expect their investment to only end in disaster? I’ll tell you why: dishonest intentions. They saw the potential in a duopoly, and probably spent a pretty penny having their lawyers research ways in which they could skirt FCC law.

First and foremost, a t.v. news department isn’t being asked to “be the most profitable in the world.” It’s main job (in today’s market) is to be #1 in the ratings. The focus of the actual journalists (i.e. reporters) in that newsroom is even narrower: their job is to give the viewer the best news story, with the most pertinent, up-to-date facts in a way that’s informative, entertaining and easy to understand by the viewer.

I think deep down, Frankie, that you get this. And that, I think, is what Bob and Jade were driving at. Above all, they wish to point out the tragedy of the loss of journalism in a journalistic endeavor. Because journalism is a public service. And that is the entire reason why it is a business (the only one) expressly protected under the first amendment of our U.S. Constitution.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Thought I read somewhere KGMB was $6 million in debt and this sale wiped that debt from the books. I have no experience in tv or radio sales, is that a ton of money or just peanuts in the business.

Aj

Comment

As for Bob and Jade's comments, I would have been dissappointed if Bob had not wrote something, I almost expected it of him.

What Jade wrote came from the heart and probably is shared with many of her former Channel 9 colleagues.

Aj

Comment

Here is a good piece from the New Republic on the phenomena on what is being called "the anchorman in winter."

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.ht...2-4d22e18420d3
                  ---
                  Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Wow! I can't believe that lil ole me set off this firestorm, with what was strictly my own personal opinion. Certainly, I respect other personal opinions that differ from my own. Those I take no issue with. But I will reply to some responses that have either distorted what I said,... or responses that contain inaccuracies of their own.

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    I dunno. They have as much right to voice their opinion as much as we have a right to voice our opinion when the government raise our taxes, even though it is our duty to pay taxes.
                    Who said anything about Bob and Jade not having "as much right to voice their opinion as much as we have a right to voice our opinion...." I just said that they had to get real. I didn't tell them to shut up.

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
                    I think Bob got it right. Deregulatory decisions allowed stations to reduce and/or eliminate news programming. As a result of deregulation, financial considerations became more important than serving the public. What many have forgotten is that the broadcast license is not owned by the broadcaster. It is a public trust and the beneficiaries are the viewers and the listeners.
                    Obviously, that's correct. But many of the journalistic standards that Bob Jones talks about in his column goes way beyond anything that is regulated by the FCC or any other governmental authority in this country. Reporter-videographer hirings, the qualifications of producers, the structuring of a newscast..... Sorry Dale, but you're conflating the "public trust" with Bob Jones' TV News 101.

As far as "tradition", I side with Jade on this one...emotionally as well as from a business person's point of view. Tradition is part of the "good will" in a sale...that certain hard-to-define something extra that adds value to a property. KGMB has a rich history and tradition that, to me, makes it more the most valuable property in this entire "arrangement."

In the 1980's GE took over RCA and promptly put a major competitor out of business when it dismantled RCA and sold off most of its assets. While I don't think Raycom's intent is to take KGMB off the air, much of what it appears to be doing will diminish KGMB's presence. Killing traditions will help to speed up that process.

If you can't beat 'em...take 'em over.
                    Welcome to the world of free enterprise. Nothing much else to say here, except beware of what you wish for. What may be viewed as the comforting cocoon of more heavy-handed govt. regulation carries its own set of problems and perils to maintaining a truly "free" media.

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    As Random, Dale and Foolish Heart have illustrated, you’ve misinterpreted Bob and Jade’s point. Most working in the industry (and those retired from it) are well aware that ad revenue sustains t.v. news departments. What you seemingly fail to acknowledge, is that even though there was less of it made this past year, KGMB still made a profit.
                    Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                    Thought I read somewhere KGMB was $6 million in debt and this sale wiped that debt from the books.
                    Well Tunnl, it's hard for me to take any of your points seriously when the very foundation of your arguments is one that is open to question and doubt.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

It's all about accounting!
                      In broadcasting, profit is a close relative called Broadcast Cash Flow (BCF). While the station had a positive BCF, if wasn't servicing its debt or return on investment, therefore wasn't profitable.

The station didn't lose $6 million. MCG Capital wrote down $6 million on the value of its investment in KGMB. That combined with the sale of the station's over 40,000 square foot property and building, which was one of KGMB's most valuable assets, that devalued the station by another $12 million.

So, MCG capital saw a $18 to $20 million loss on its $40 million investment. To make it simple, convert it to thousands and think of it as your house losing half the value that you paid for it, then think about the situation you'd be in. You would still owe the mortgage for that amount, but could never sell it to recoup your investment.

Bob & Jades opinions while perfectly valid from a journalists point of view, don't get people regular paychecks in this day and age of the "media business"

Emmy awards and Peabody's are a great statement on the quality of journalism, but it doesn't keep the lights on or even pay for an inexperienced producer. Money does, and KGMB's owners were bleeding it.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post

The station didn't lose $6 million. MCG Capital wrote down $6 million on the value of its investment in KGMB. That combined with the sale of the station's over 40,000 square foot property and building, which was one of KGMB's most valuable assets, that devalued the station by another $12 million.

So, MCG capital saw a $18 to $20 million loss on its $40 million investment.
                        Emmis found a real sucker when they sold KGMB to MCG Capital, a company that had no business being in broadcasting. From the Emmis press release in 2007 announcing the sale:

"HITV is a wholly owned portfolio company of MCG Capital Corporation. MCG Capital Corporation is a publicly traded Business Development Company with approximately $1.3 billion in total assets. MCG Capital is a solutions-focused commercial finance company providing financing and advisory services to middle market, growth oriented companies throughout the United States. MCG's capital is generally used by its portfolio companies to finance acquisitions, recapitalizations, management buyouts, organic growth and working capital."

MCG could have been buying a hardware store for all they cared. They bought KGMB simply to drain its resources and, hopefully, sell it to another sucker at a profit.

Many years ago, that was known as "trafficking" in licenses and was frowned upon at the FCC. In a FCC decision in the 1940's regarding a license transfer it was written:

"Our opinion has remained steadfast that people who enter broadcasting must recognize their obligation to render a public service. They cannot operate a station as they would a department store or a steel mill - for purely financial benefits."

How things have changed......

Comment

When Gannett conspired to shut down the Star-Bulletin in 1999, the paper was profitable!
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I hope those who remain in the business make it and for those who don't, maybe it will be the incentive to find greener pastures.

For those who do not get picked to stay with the company, perhaps they'll get an even better job and in a few years look back at this arrangement and say "This was the catalyst that helped me change my life for the better."

Emmis found a real sucker when they sold KGMB to MCG Capital, a company that had no business being in broadcasting. From the Emmis press release in 2007 announcing the sale:

"HITV is a wholly owned portfolio company of MCG Capital Corporation. MCG Capital Corporation is a publicly traded Business Development Company with approximately $1.3 billion in total assets. MCG Capital is a solutions-focused commercial finance company providing financing and advisory services to middle market, growth oriented companies throughout the United States. MCG's capital is generally used by its portfolio companies to finance acquisitions, recapitalizations, management buyouts, organic growth and working capital."

MCG could have been buying a hardware store for all they cared. They bought KGMB simply to drain its resources and, hopefully, sell it to another sucker at a profit.

Many years ago, that was known as "trafficking" in licenses and was frowned upon at the FCC. In a FCC decision in the 1940's regarding a license transfer it was written:

"Our opinion has remained steadfast that people who enter broadcasting must recognize their obligation to render a public service. They cannot operate a station as they would a department store or a steel mill - for purely financial benefits."

How things have changed......

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                              Does anyone know of a similar arrangement between two television stations that are major affiliates to combine newscasts in another top 100 market? I can't think of any.
                              I'm not quite sure, but Dayton, Ohio's ABC (WKEF-TV), FOX (WRGT-TV) and MyNetwork TV (WRGT-TV sub-channel) affiliates are all under the same news operation under the partnership of Sinclair Broadcast Group and Cunningham Broadcasting. That's where Jeff Booth (former KGMB Sunrise meteorologist) is currently working right now.

Comment

Lots of pink slips today @ KHNL...reporters & photogs.
                                Originally posted by mike
                                scsdogg,
                                You obviously are someone in the business and know what you are talking about.....

Comment

Working...
                                X