Is 101.5 now acid rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 101.5 now acid rock?

Or punk rock? Or crap rock?! Where's my smooth jazz?! I found this and it shows only Sunday evening jazz. And who knows if that page is now outdated? Couldn't find anything else about what seems to be a very recent change in format. Dayam! Do any of you radio folks have details?

Hawaii's Real Rock

Jazz moved to KPHI 96.7 FM nights only (9pm to 5am)... sharing frequency with the Filipino format. Also on 1130 AM. This goes back to how it was a few years ago when HHawaii Media first started these stations.

101.5 is now K-Rock, Hawaii's Real Rock, apparently taking on KPOI in the marketplace.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: Is 101.5 now acid rock?

Thx, Mel. Whatta shame.

Comment

It's about time we got another rock station. Thanks for the heads-up!
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I think I stumbled onto this the other nite, but then they didn't keep up the mo, but I'll check in again. And I hope the new jazz sta. is hard core.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I'm listening in my (parked) car right now. Here's what I'm hearing:

Evanescence (that "wake me up" song)
            Van Halen "Runnin' with the Devil"
            Ozzy Osbourne "Bark at the Moon"
            Deftones "Tempest"
            Rage Against the Machine "Guerilla Radio"
            Kid Rock "Let's Ride"
            Saving Abel "Addicted"
            Linkin Park "In the End"
            Snippets from soon-to-be-released Anthrax and soom-to-be-released Coheed and Cambria.

In just under half an hour, music from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s, and 2010s. Kind of a cross between KPOI and Star 101.9, but a lot more like the old Lava Rock before it turned into The Bomb. This is the first time I've ever heard Deftones on the radio.

Not a bad start.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              I think I stumbled onto this the other nite, but then they didn't keep up the mo, but I'll check in again. And I hope the new jazz sta. is hard core.
              For advertising reasons I kinda doubt it will be "hard core". Most likely similar to, if not the same as, 101.5 smooth jazz. I'm going to try to remember to see if it's streaming online tonight. No radio in the house!

Comment

KPHI's stream seems to be broken.

http://tunein.com/radio/KPHI-1130-s43991/

Like HHawaii's other stations you go through Tune-In Radio.

KORL 101.1 HD2 / 101.5 stream is working.

http://tunein.com/radio/KORL-HD2-1011-s173181/

Still marked as smooth jazz but playing the new rock format.

Here is a link to the HHawaii Media site which shows what stations they own and links to them. Some of them have live streams.

For those who want to listen to jazz, there are several online options:

Tune In Radio Jazz - http://tunein.com/radio/Jazz-c57944/

Clear Channel's iHeart Radio - http://www.iheart.com/search/stations/?q=Jazz Query only shows 4 jazz stations in their line-up.
                Last edited by mel; February 6, 2013, 08:02 PM.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

There is still also Jazz with Don Gordon every weeknight on HPR2 (KIPO/KIPM/KIPH).

Comment

Last night I was treated to the debut of KROCK 101.5FM's "Metal Madness" show with host "G3", and OH MY GAWD, talk about 2 hours of head-banging MADNESS! The opening song was The Hellion/Electric Eye by Judas Priest, so I already knew it was gonna' be heavy. From there, they played everything from Alice in Chains, to Megadeth, to some newer stuff.

Of course I"m biased with the 80's and early 90's metal I grew up with, which I almost felt guilty for "head-banging" to at such an "old" age. But I couldn't help it! LOL

Really though, KROCK is certainly a welcome alternative middle ground to KPOI and STAR. I'm just a bit saddened that the Smooth Jazz station didn't grow into what I wanted it to. I LOVED that station when they just played Jazz...even better when they played funky fusion-oriented stuff. Too bad Hawaii's audience isn't sophisticated enough to support that. And I mean that. Jazz should be major part of our musical culture, but sadly it's not, as has proven time and again by the relatively small "scene" trying to support it.

Anyhow, KROCK, you're off to a great start, so keep doing what you're doing, and I wish you all the success. You're certainly locked in on my car and work radio dial. You do indeed ROCK!

Here's some songs I'd like request, in case you KROCK DJs read this:
                    Anything and everything you can put the needle on the record by:
                    Pink Floyd
                    Iron Maiden
                    AC/DC
                    Accept
                    Ozzy Osbourne
                    Black Sabbath
                    Scorpions
                    Judas Priest
                    Van Halen

Play some virtuoso stuff too like:
                    Joe Satriani
                    Steve Vai

... you see where I'm going (stuck in the 80's and 90's lol). And yes, that was a very creative list that no one else would have thought of (lol!), which there's much more to add to.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

What, no Melvins?!
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I heard that metal show too, and was pleasantly surprised. The DJ is obviously a fan, and for a change I didn't mind the between-song talking. The nicest unexpected artist I heard was Testament. It was probably the first time I'd heard Testament on local radio that wasn't KTUH.

That show was followed by a syndicated metal show, which I only caught the beginning of.

And if we're going to submit suggestions for the playlist, may I add:
                        Periphery
                        Dream Theater
                        Between the Buried and Me
                        Mastodon
                        The Sword
                        and
                        Kylesa?
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                          [...] I'm just a bit saddened that the Smooth Jazz station didn't grow into what I wanted it to. I LOVED that station when they just played Jazz...even better when they played funky fusion-oriented stuff. Too bad Hawaii's audience isn't sophisticated enough to support that. And I mean that. Jazz should be major part of our musical culture, but sadly it's not, as has proven time and again by the relatively small "scene" trying to support it.[...]
                          So true, Scriv, but Hawaii does have a large group of sophisticated, die-hard jazz fans...just not a large enough group to sustain a radio station or live jazz venues for longer than a few years at a time. My first memory was KGU, with Kit Beuret and Heidi Chang, night times during the late 70s/early 80s. Then, 101.9 the Breeze (24 hrs.?) during the late 90s/early 00s(?). And, more recently, 101.3 smooth jazz that became 101.5 smooth jazz before it's move last week to 96.7 (nights). I sure hope this latest change isn't a forewarning of what's to come of Michael Paulo's terrific smooth jazz concerts and annual jazz festival. The last concert on Feb. 2, featuring Brian Culbertson, was a sell-out.

Comment

Don't forget the late-eighties, which gave us the satellite station The Wave, where I first got turned on to the whole GRP stable and a few others.

In the early 90s, you could count on KTUH twice a day in three-hour blocks on weekdays to have good jazz. I subbed for a lot of jazz deejays when I was on staff there and usually spent my three hours playing fusion and "smooth jazz," a genre name I dislike. I named my program "Mitchell's Elektric City" after Chick Correa's excellent song (and band) and took the opportunity to discover lots of bands I still listen to, like Manteca, Special EFX, Steps Ahead, David Benoit (yes, I like him; I admit it), Hiroshima, and Spyro Gyra. Man, I had a lot of fun doing that program.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Tutusue, I'm sorry you've lost a radio station you loved, but I'm with scrivener and Pomai -- I LOVE the new format.

I've been listening to KROCK all morning. I think everything I heard so far is on my iPod, and most of it is stuff I've NEVER heard on the radio here. They just played a Breaking Benjamin song, FFS. The only time I ever heard Breaking Benjamin on the radio is when I'm on the mainland. Honolulu has gone far too long without a station that covers this genre.

Does anyone know when they changed formats? I've seen the KROCK website, but they haven't got much there yet. They don't appear to have a Facebook page yet either.

Comment

Working...
                              X