Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Warning for Feb. 27, 2010

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Well then, why didn't you come out and state your conclusion right here on SATURDAY MORNING???
    What would that have changed?

Evidently he doesn't need to feed his ego, which is all that would have been accomplished; everybody would still have listened to Civil Defense.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
      Yes, well if that's the case, why don't we just have a constant state of warning? Safer for everybody. If we can't predict the nature of the threat with the tools we've deployed, those tools must be woefully inadequate, eh? I simply scanned the buoy numbers (height and period), disregarded the anecdotal reports of a large wave (with reports of no damage) in the Marquesas and reached the conclusion that 50 feet from shore was plenty safe for sunbathers.

You are just plain wrong from every angle of attack on this issue. The Warning Center's purpose is to identify and assess the threat. If they can't assess the threat, they're just shy of useless (a machine can and does identify the threat). As well, a series of inaccurate warnings results in boy-who-cried-wolf complacency.

Likanui, sorry, the Indonesian 'footage' is not relevant (our warning system is useless for an event of that proximity), the results in Sri Lanka and India is properly comparable. Yes, tsunamis can, have and will cause damage. However, misleading warnings cause damage, too. This is the fourth misleading tsunami warning I've experienced in Hawaii.
      You can't use the Boy who cried Wolf reasoning. In that fable, that boy lied for attention. I hardly believe Civil Defense was trying to get your attention by lying about a tsunami. Complacency is what kills. You ignore any warning and chances are you will be affected.

Is it so frustrating to be on the ready? Heck I live by the ocean and own a house that could get wiped out from a tsunami. I have every reason to be more frustrated than you. As a matter of fact I'm relieved the evacuation process worked magnificantly where I live. No bottlenecks like when in the 80's I was stuck in gridlock in Waikiki when the tsunami was supposed to hit. We had no solid evacuation plan in place then. We do now and events such as what happened last Saturday is proof that we are ready for the big one. Aren't you glad too?
      Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 5, 2010, 12:20 PM.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Salmoned, I'll just say that as an emergency responder I'm thrilled that your viewpoint is from an extremely miniscule minority of the population here.
        As for "crying wolf," remember that the wolf eventually did indeed arrive.
        As will a deadly tsunami.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
        X