X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reputation?

Originally posted by cezanne
    Oh I always wondered what that square is. I thought it meant whether or not that person was online.
    The symbol for one being on-line is next to the name. If it's green that person is on-line, purple means that they are not or choose not to known on-line.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      I still can't figure out what the relationship is between the number of green squares and your reputation. Most people have one green square, some have two. Kimo is one of the only posters to have a red square.
      I noticed that the ranks have changed recently on the squares. If you list the membership by their reputation and move the mouse pointer over the squares the ranks have different names now.

I can assume that for every 100 points of reputation you earn you get another square.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
        The symbol for one being on-line is next to the name. If it's green that person is on-line, purple means that they are not or choose not to known on-line.
        Looking at this page there seems to be a few shades on different dots. I guess mine is a dark purple, Helen yours and pzars is green at the moment, Glens looks something in between those two...

Comment

whatevas. Surprises me how huhu people get sometimes about the comments posted ova here. Would be different if you knew these people in da flesh. Den you would know if their "online" persona was really how they were in real life.

Maybe back in the 90s most people were naive enough to wear their hearts on their sleeves when they went online. But nowadays, it's caveat emptor...take everything with a grain of salt.

It's not proper netiquette to flame people. It's OK to criticize the content of their comments, but why would you want to disparage the character of someone who you don't even know for expressing his or her own opinion just because you don't agree? I thought this was still a free country.

As Ryan continues to remind us, there is an "ignore" feature on this board. If you don't like what somebody is probably going to post, den put 'em on ignore. So what if Kimo has a "red" reputation? I'm surprised I still have a "green" one. I am who I am, and Kimo is who he is and you are who you are. We all gotta live on this big blue marble, and there's much more serious pilikia going on in the world and in Hawai'i nei than picking on each other about what we do/don't say on these threads.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I still can't figure out what the relationship is between the number of green squares and your reputation. Most people have one green square, some have two. Kimo is one of the only posters to have a red square.
            I'm not sure what the "exchange rate" is, either. Reputation moves very slowly (in part by design, and in part because of only sporadic use), and while there is a fair amount of graduation within the system (if you mouse over the squares, you'll see a summary of the poster's standing, with point cutoffs at 10, 50, 150, 250, etc.), the squares are only a broad overview.

In fact, we only recently started seeing people getting a second square - like you. Congratulations!

I'd much rather see the Reputation system used to reward people who make a positive contribution to the site rather than a method of criticism (and it's designed to be five times harder to move down than it is to move up), but it can be useful, either way. With a little more visibility, newcomers will know whether someone is speaking with any degree of authority or not.

FWIW, if you're curious, here's the breakdown as it stands now:

• A very poor reputation (-50).
            • A poor reputation (-10).
            • A mediocre reputation (0).
            • A fair reputation (10).
            • A decent reputation (50).
            • A good reputation (150).
            • A very good reputation (250).
            • A great reputation (350).
            • An excellent reputation (450).
            • A spectacular reputation (550).
            • A community leader (650).
            • A pillar of the community (1000).

Comment

Kimo is one of the only posters to have a red square.
              I am colorblind, so, to me it's a nice mauve/taupe/avocado with a hint of turquoise.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                I am colorblind, so, to me it's a nice mauve/taupe/avocado with a hint of turquoise.
                Oops, I spoke too soon. It's green now.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  It's OK to criticize the content of their comments, but why would you want to disparage the character of someone who you don't even know for expressing his or her own opinion just because you don't agree? I thought this was still a free country.
                  I have given negative reputation on occasion (more often than not, though, my attempts are thwarted because I've too recently given positive reputation to the same poster), and "getting huhu" had nothing to do with it. I come here for discussion, and appreciate viewpoints that are not my own. What I don't appreciate is the overly negative and unwelcoming reactions some people have sometimes, especially to newer posters. Again, differing opinions are great; derision is not in keeping with the community spirit.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Oops, I spoke too soon. It's green now.
                    Aww man. I was just about to start a "Rep Point Fund Drive for Kimo" thread!

Comment

An explanation for reputation can be found here.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                        What I don't appreciate is the overly negative and unwelcoming reactions some people have sometimes, especially to newer posters. Again, differing opinions are great; derision is not in keeping with the community spirit.
                        Cha-ching! Scriv get another rep point from me. I'm in total agreement with you.

Comment

So what if Kimo has a "red" reputation? I'm surprised I still have a "green" one.
                          I'm surprised too.

Comment

Hey, did that hover-over thing always work? I never noticed it before. Cool.

on my mac, it takes a few seconds to display a balloon with the info.
                            so i never noticed it till was mentioned.

Just saw yer rep...

"His name is Glen Miyashiro....
                            He's got two squares, i think that's neato...."

as frank delima would say...

Comment

Would be different if you knew these people in da flesh. Den you would know if their "online" persona was really how they were in real life.
                              But, as with any online community, most of what we'll ever know is what's posted online, and we choose both how we present ourselves, and how we interpret others' characters, in that context.

I have no idea if {x} is as friendly in real life as he is online, or if {y} really is as mean-spirited or judgemental. Knowing the Internet, of course, we can presume that any character quirk is probably exagerrated online, and that what we read on the web is probably nowhere near what we'd get face-to-face. But at HawaiiThreads.com, what's posted is all we've got (especially if you can't or won't join us at our in-real-life gatherings!). For better or worse.

I thought this was still a free country.
                              It is, but (1.) a message board, chat room, or website is not a democracy, no matter how much its operators' might want it to be, and (2.) I think we all generally know to criticize opinions rather than people (it's in this site's guidelines, as it is in most). So much so that other users start taking on the role of moderators! But, we are just people, and people have personalities, and since we certainly can't strip our personalities from what we post, we have to allow for the fact that people are going to react to them, positively or negatively.
                              As Ryan continues to remind us, there is an "ignore" feature on this board. If you don't like what somebody is probably going to post, den put 'em on ignore.
                              Except there has to be more than one solution. Imagine a community where a user is on everyone else's "Ignore" list. I think that community would have to take a look at that and ask why... also keeping in mind what new users, who've never heard of the "Ignore" feature, might think of the community as a whole (since they don't have the historical context everyone else has).

I think the Reputation system is a relatively useful and time-tested way of adding depth and context to an online community. But, like everything else, you can choose to ignore it. A good reputation, really, doesn't give you any reward more tangible than a green dot, and a bad reputation doesn't stop you from posting. Yet!

We all gotta live on this big blue marble, and there's much more serious pilikia going on in the world and in Hawai'i nei than picking on each other about what we do/don't say on these threads.
                              Good lord, of coursethere are more important things "on this big blue marble." Let's have a bit of perspective here, okay? We should definitely get more worked up about starving children and pollution and miracles and great accomplishments. But right here, right now, we're talking about this site, this community, and what goes on within is a perfectly reasonable topic of conversation.

I admit it, I care a lot about what we do/don't say on these threads. I care about the people who post here (including you, Miulang), and I care about how we treat each other online, and how we treat newcomers. Is that so wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                                Except there has to be more than one solution. Imagine a community where a user is on everyone else's "Ignore" list. I think that community would have to take a look at that and ask why...
                                You mean, like how I only listen to NPR, and Mel only listens to KHVH?
                                (Yes, very off-topic, and inaccurate too, I know!)

I think the Reputation system is a relatively useful and time-tested way of adding depth and context to an online community. But, like everything else, you can choose to ignore it. A good reputation, really, doesn't give you any reward more tangible than a green dot, and a bad reputation doesn't stop you from posting. Yet!
                                Bottom line is, on the net, people judge you by your words, both what you say and how you say it. Tools like the Reputation dots might help if you're unfamiliar with the poster, but it's not hard to figure out how someone is after reading a few posts of theirs.

Comment

Working...
                                X