"Hawaii" on NBC: Chapter 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Hawaii" on NBC: Chapter 3

Well, I'd love to hear from the native Hawaiian perspective on last night's episode. It featured their first, and inevitable, Hawaiian culture plotline. Two Hawaiian families in a 100-year-old feud over who killed a Hawaiian princess - Hawaii's "Hatfields and McCoys," someone quipped. A scuffle over a surf spot leads to a shooting inside the police station. The whole mess is settled by our young buddy cops who - brace yourselves - dig up the princess' bones to determine cause of death. A kupuna reads a rope, and it turns out, the princess died for an entirely different reason.

Compared to the way native Hawaiian plots have been handled in the past - remember the Brady Bunch "tiki" escapade? - I suppose this account was positively nuanced. We had protesters decrying the disinterment, we had some Hawaiian language, we had some culture lessons (prompting a "enough with this Discovery Channel" stuff line)... but it still bothered me.

Then again, I'm not sure how I'd come up with a way to fold something people take so seriously into a not-very-serious TV show. People here might pick it apart, but I'll tell you, I bet people I know on the mainland would consider the episode positively educational and respectful. Eep.

The "protect the witness" plotline was passable (though the "Hawaii's Pablo Escobar" line made it two "metaphors for Americans" within of five minutes), and was where they packed in the quota of action and gunplay. Good thing cops really don't drop dead at that rate in real life. I wonder if we'll see the witness/geek again?

Generally speaking, I really think the two young cops (Eric Balfour and Ivan Sergei) are playing off each other well. They've definitely stolen the show from the vets (Michael Biehn and Sharif Atkins). And as always it's good to see Bumatai.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      we had some Hawaiian language, we had some culture lessons (prompting a "enough with this Discovery Channel" stuff line)... but it still bothered me.
      how/ why?

Then again, I'm not sure how I'd come up with a way to fold something people take so seriously into a not-very-serious TV show. People here might pick it apart, but I'll tell you, I bet people I know on the mainland would consider the episode positively educational and respectful. Eep.
      or at least come away from the subject with a little more respect than before. (and maybe a lil more curiosity..) which is not a bad side effect. or do we not want this?!

And as always it's good to see Bumatai.

good to see choppers to. and augie.

Comment

Good to hear
        toots and the maytals
        as b/g music on the series.
        at last; someone brave enuff ta play original ska that all this jawaiian crap is derived from.

Comment

No Hawaii this week. Perhaps I can go watch Lost instead.

Comment

awww...

TROUBLE IN PARADISE: It looks like the sun has set on NBC's Hawaii . Marking the first cancellation of the new fall season, the Peacock network has stuck a fork in the low-rated cop drama, sources tell TV Guide Online. Heather Locklear 's airport romp LAX , which has hit a rough patch on Monday at 10 pm, is expected to take over Hawaii 's Wednesday 8 pm time slot. An NBC rep declined to comment.
            http://www.tvguide.com/news/entertainment/041015.asp#B

not sure how true, since the NBC rep won't comment on it...
            Last edited by malia; October 15, 2004, 08:22 PM. Reason: fixed tags

Comment

The Futon Critic confirms, also citing NBC:
              "Hawaii," previously broadcast on Wednesdays (8-9 p.m. ET), will continue in production in Hawaii and will return at a later date with new episodes.
              Not dead yet, but not good news. The fact that they're not shutting down the works here in Honolulu despite the hiatus is interesting. I guess a fully developed, if low rated, series beats a brand new one when they inevitably go shopping for mid-season replacements for other shows and other weak spots in their lineup.

Comment

More details in this morning's Star Bulletin:

NBC Takes Hawaii TV Series off the air

What more than likely will happen now if any episodes air on NBC is that the remaining 5 episodes will be shown in either December or sometime next year. Looks like a curtain call for the series... sad, I think "North Shore" should be the series to get the axe.

Only one other glimmer of hope for "Hawaii" is if another network is bold enough to pick it up. That is extremely remote since the ratings are so low.

BTW, "LAX" totally sucks. That is the series that should have been either cancelled or put on hiatus.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

NBC cancelling series "Hawaii"

I never watched the show because I rarely watch commercial TV anymore, but from the comments I've heard from others, in a way it just kinda confirms that people on the Mainland don't want to believe that Hawai'i can have the same kinds of problems experienced everywhere else. It also will be a blow to the Oahu economy because the show was for the most part shot in Hawai'i, so all the money that was being spent by the crew will be gone.

Miulang

http://starbulletin.com/2004/10/16/news/story3.html
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: NBC Cancels "Hawaii" series

It's officially on hiatus, but it may as well be cancelled. They'll probably produce the last remaining 5 episodes and run them later in the season or during the summer.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

It's now official...

Hawaii Gets Cancelled After 8 Episodes

NBC bid aloha to the TV police drama "Hawaii" yesterday.

Last week, NBC executives told the TV show's producers that they could complete four more episodes even though the show was being taken off the air through November. But during the weekend, the network executives decided that the show was being canceled altogether.
                      I thought if anything needed to be cancelled, it should have been "North Shore."
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

A pity. Not unexpected - what the hell is a "hiatus," really, anyway? But I really did like the show. It had potential, but obviously never found its audience. Looking back, I'll have to evaluate whether my enjoyment of the show had anything to do with what it offered beyond the things it showed about Hawaii... which, objectively, probably wouldn't have been enough to carry any other series, either.
                        Originally posted by mel
                        I thought if anything needed to be cancelled, it should have been "North Shore."
                        Heh. "North Shore" -- I didn't even remember that show was still around! I agree, Mel. But with Shannon Doherty on the payroll, if anything that disaster will be even harder to kill.

Comment

The Honolulu Advertiser gives us a bit of a post mortem on the Hawaii cancellation:

Show's identity tied to Islands:
                          Of the three series already aired, only "Hawaii" and "North Shore" are identified as Hawai'i products, with "Hawaii" the most tightly tied to the state. "Lost," which has probably received the most favorable reviews, doesn't rely on the cachet of the Hawai'i brand, and potentially could be shot in any tropical locale.
                          The fact that NBC will fulfill its lease in Mapunapuna, and possibly leave the soundstage build-out they did to be used by other productions, is interesting. I wonder if we'll see the "Hawaii" police station reappear as a law office or something in a "Lost" flashback, or even a police station on "North Shore"?

Comment

NBC could sub-rent the space also to The WB for their upcoming production of "Rocky Point" if that show has not yet found a space. (speculative)
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Tim Ryan's notes in yesterday's Honolulu Star-Bulletin reveals some of the ruffled feathers there were in advance of the cancellation.
                              Two former Hollywood executives, now living here, offered their services to assist with the local aspect of the show, especially the writing, but were turned down. One of the drama's co-stars was so upset with scripts early on that he sent letters to writers, emphasizing that the stories had to improve to keep the show on the air ...
                              I'd agree, being told, "It's okay, keep filming" on a Friday and then, "Forget it, it's over" on Monday sucks.

Primary complaints? Poor scheduling, script meddling, and failing to get Act 221 credits. When did that last development become official, though? I bet it might be more than a mere footnote in the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                                Primary complaints?
                                Since you asked. I was never happy with the background lighting effect of the outdoor shots. It didn't seem natural to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X