OTW to drop KITV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTW to drop KITV?

Don't know how widely reported this is, but a few days ago, cable TV fatcat Oceanic announced a long list of channels that could possibly be dropped from their lineup because carriage agreements for these stations were due to "expire soon."

List of expiring channels.

Note that the list includes all forms of KITV, be it analog, digital, and HD.

Of course, OTW is merely following the law by announcing that they don't yet have an agreement in place to continue carrying these channels in the near future. There remains the possibility that OTW and KITV will strike a deal soon. But at the same time, there's no 100% assurance that an agreement will be hammered out in time.

Man, can you imagine the outrage that will break out in this community if our local ABC affiliate pulls its programming away from every single OTW customer? No more Dancing With The Stars.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: OTW to drop KITV?

Strange that MeTV Hawaii isn't on that list since it is carried over the air by KITV.

Comment

This stuff happens all the time... a few years ago it was Fox I think that was going to be dropped (KHON).... in the end both sides usually come to an agreement and in few months your cable TV bill goes up again to cover costs.

Me... I cut the chord last year and am totally free of the shackles that is Oceanic Time Warner.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

ESPN News isn't on Channel 23 anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          This stuff happens all the time... a few years ago it was Fox I think that was going to be dropped (KHON).... in the end both sides usually come to an agreement and in few months your cable TV bill goes up again to cover costs.

Me... I cut the chord last year and am totally free of the shackles that is Oceanic Time Warner.
          Mel do you receive all of the local stations on your tv or do you watch programs on your computer? Anybody familiar with a device called Roku??

Comment

Currently I get all my programs from various free streams on my computer. When my old TV worked I had an A/B switch that I used to go from cable to indoor antenna in my building. The OTA channels in my area that came in nice were: KHON (2.1, 2.2), KITV (4.1, 4.2), KGMB (5.1), KHNL (13.1, 13.2), KFVE (9.1), KWHE (14.1), KBFD (32.1), KIKU (20.1), KAAH (26.1, 26.2, 26.3, 26.4, 26.5) and KXPO (66.1 to 66.4 though sometimes it would get me nothing)..... The Daystar channel was also receivable but video only for some reason. No audio. The major channel that did not work in my area was KHET 11.1, 11.2.

I intend to get another TV soon and continue the practice of OTA + hook up my DVD player, computer and maybe buy one of those boxes too... Roku or Apple TV. I've heard Todd Cochrane of Geek News Central praise both the Roku and the Boxee devices. I think all of these can get paid services from Hulu and NetFlix. Hopefully they also have free content.

FYI - 2 of the 3 local news channels, KITV and Hawaii News Now stream their newscasts live from their websites... Also KHET streams some of their local shows live and all have clips of various local items either on YouTube or their websites.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

History tells us that you can never be so sure about local stations and cable/satellite providers always getting along with each other. Once upon a time, Oceanic customers did not get KGMB in HD. And a few years before that, Dish Network subscribers had to make due with no KHNL & KFVE.

I intend to get another TV soon and continue the practice of OTA + hook up my DVD player, computer and maybe buy one of those boxes too... Roku or Apple TV. I've heard Todd Cochrane of Geek News Central praise both the Roku and the Boxee devices. I think all of these can get paid services from Hulu and NetFlix. Hopefully they also have free content.
              I bought Roku primarily with the intent of using it to stream sports packages like MLB.TV and NHL Gamecenter. But I've been pleasantly surprised with the amount of quality free content. There's movie/TV apps like Crackle and ADC. The BYU.TV app offers both a live stream of the cable channel and a large selection of on-demand programs like BYU sports telecasts. Speaking of college sports, there's XOS Sports and the SEC Digital Network. Roku even has a free Justin.TV app. (Justin.TV for both the iPhone and iPad comes with a price.) And Korean TV fans will absolutely love the KDrama channel.

Oh, and if you happen to have a Playon membership, you can use Roku's Playon channel to access the regular version of Hulu for free. It's nice to be able to enjoy basic Hulu outside of a web browser platform.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Well, looks like my worst fears have come true.

KITV blacked out on Oceanic

Besides the article, there's some interesting statements found in the comments section below.

Comment

this is madness!
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Here is KITV 4's report on the issue:

http://www.kitv.com/tv/about/KITV-s-...z/-/index.html

Time Warner Cable refuses to pay our station a reasonable fee relative to what it pays for other significantly less popular channels. Time Warner’s characterization of the percentage increase in carriage fees we are seeking is inaccurate.......

Contrary to Time Warner’s claim, we have not "blacked out" our station. You may continue to receive our station for free, over the air, or by satellite from DIRECTV or DISH, and, where available, from other cable operators.

Read more: http://www.kitv.com/tv/about/KITV-s-...#ixzz20GHjcXkJ
                    In the end it all boils down to money.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I can't even get the OTA channels.

Comment

Yea,Same over here on Maui no OTA on 4.1 KITV nor 4.2 MeTV, Signal but no "Data" WTF? I thought us OTA people were free from the "strife" of OTW/KITV problems.
                        Perplexed OTA Viewer...Antennas Still Rule!!!

Comment

I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for either side in this dispute. And since I have no information regarding the exact numbers being exchanged, I can't make any definitive judgements on which party is being unreasonable in the carriage agreement negotiations.

However, in the PR battle that is being waged, I do have to take exceptions to a couple of things KITV is saying.

KITV.com press release

Contrary to Time Warner’s claim, we have not "blacked out" our station.
                          Hmmm. I'm not aware of any public statement or claim from TWC, claiming that KITV has totally "blacked out" their station to everyone. Here is what OTW has actually said:

TWC public statement

On July 9, 2012 Hearst Television chose to black out their signals from Time Warner Cable customers rather than continue negotiations, and despite their CEO saying just two weeks earlier that broadcaster blackouts are unfair to consumers.
                          Clearly, TWC is saying that the KITV/Hearst blackout only applies to TWC customers. So there's nothing categorically false about anything that TWC has publically stated, so far.

KITV's statement then goes on to say this:

You may continue to receive our station for free, over the air, or by satellite from DIRECTV or DISH, and, where available, from other cable operators.
                          Encouraging consumers to switch to another cable system (Hawn. Telcom) or a sat provider (DirecTV or Dish) is disingenous, since there's no guarantee that when those respective providers' carriage agreements run out in the future, a consumer who follows KITV's advice to switch may find themselves in the same dilemma again!

That's two points deducted from KITV, when it comes to being honest and forthright in telling their side of the story in this carriage dispute.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            ... the carriage agreement negotiations.
                            ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                            ... this carriage dispute.
                            So funny. My tired eyes (nearly bedtime here) read "carriage" in each of these statements as "carnage." Seems oddly appropriate, though.

Comment

Does the KITV news team still need to go to work?

Comment

Working...
                              X