Local TV Ads You Don't Like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local TV Ads You Don't Like

Since we seem to be on a television commercial kick again (favorite local ads, favorite national ads, and least favorite national ads), I thought I'd complete the set with a new thread for local TV ads you don't like. Sure, we tried this before, but I didn't want to set the bar as high as "revolting" and "disgusting," nor as low as the first conversation turned out!

Understanding, of course, that local television productions generally won't have the resources that a Coca Cola or Geico will have, and that our neighbors and friends are doing their best, there will still be a TV ad or two here in Hawaii that just falls short of the mark. Or annoys us entirely. Share them here.

While this is a rerun, I have to start off with a classic of bad local ads with the Oceanic commercial featuring the over-eager cable technician and the disinterested, pouty woman. For all the effort put into the lighting and sets, the ad itself just grates.

The reason it popped back into my head, though, is because there's now a second local TV ad that has almost the exact same character scenario - a bright-eyed and eager guy suggesting exotic destinations (for food, we later learn), bouncing ideas off his apparently bored and indifferent partner. It took me a few seconds to realize it just wasn't another version of the Oceanic ad.

I'm sure there are others that follow the same basic concept. I know it's hard to get creative, and stereotypes are the easiest way to set up a "story" in 30 seconds, but... is having anyone bored for most of an ad a good idea? It's almost as a bad as an ad that mentions a competing product or business more than its supposed subject.

Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

I hate, hate, hate, most all the oceanic time warner ads but today's pisser is that one where they have that dude saying i wanted to watch blahblah but my wive wanted to watch chickfliks. so, we watched chickfliks.
    (how MANY did he sit thru? whudda pussywhipped wimp...)
    they employ that headache inducing old gimmick of a wavering waterhose camera technique so this jokers out of frame half the time.
    annoying.
    this reminds me of the dis and dat commercial. this local dude who looks like he spent too much time thinkin' and a wishin' he wuz hangin in da hood south central L.A.; dressed all in black with a black leather jacket.

aaaah c'MON, man.
    affectation city.

he goes on and on actually saying "blah,blah, blahblahblah...blahblah..."
    sheesh! he does NOT want us to watch.

oh, yea.
    and of course that "mytv izzzh schmooozzz."
    as if they pulled some kid off da sidewalk in front of central intermediate and said:
    "hey punk; what's this week's phat saying in yer school? and wooja say it to the camera here, a thing which you have no experience in front of and in a manner which you will quite assuredly display extreme discomfort and awkwardness? yea thanx, kid. only time and patience for one take. Here's yer three bucks. Now beat it..."
    Last edited by kimo55; September 17, 2005, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Just FYI... we had this discussion on "bad ads" last year. I am just providing this link to the old thread for your reference and convenience:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=543

Oops... I should have known pz referenced this link previously. Oh well here it is again.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thanks, Mel. To get things flowing again, let's recap. Note, of course, that some ads that were cited as bad were also considered good by others, or at least effective. But in previous rounds...

Oceanic clearly leads the pack with several ads cited for awfulness. The Technician on a Date, the Chick Flick Guy, their DVR ads (some local, some not), The McGruff Truck (a.k.a. Who Needs 911 When You've Got a Cable Guy?), and with several nominations, OKC Kids Club and MyTV promos.

Banks are common citations, though they're also one of the heavier television advertisers. Bank of Hawaii's "That's My Bank" (Daryl and Brian), Territorial Savings butterfly chases and the like (Pursue Happiness), and Central Pacific Bank (Alex the Dog).

On the PSA front, we have Former Idols (Jordan and Jasmine - has Camille done any?), and Smoking vs. Kids. Wrapping up with local businesses, mentioned were Lava Line (Augie T. & Lanai), Tonya from Sleepland, Lee Financial Services, TheBus, TheCab, Jiffy Lube and Cooking with Cutty (OC16).

Whew.

But, different strokes for different folks. I don't think Frank DeLima's TheCab ads are that funny, but hell, I'd never ever memorized a phone number for a cab service until those came out. Ads with jingles aren't all great, but a part of me kind of likes the fact that jingles in general are being written and used -- how very quaint of us! And some folks clearly grok Augie T's style, even though I don't.

Comment

TheBus had a TV ad? That's interesting, did notice in the past that TheBus served as a back drop for a couple of commericals, like Hawaiian Waters and some union spot.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            I don't think Frank DeLima's TheCab ads are that funny, but hell, I'd never ever memorized a phone number for a cab service until those came out.
            That's the truth. "Tutu" will never quite be the same again.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Since we seem to be on a television commercial kick again (favorite local ads, favorite national ads, and least favorite national ads), I thought I'd complete the set with a new thread for local TV ads you don't like. Sure, we tried this before, but I didn't want to set the bar as high as "revolting" and "disgusting," nor as low as the first conversation turned out!
              [...]
              Hmmm...this is one thread I'll stay out of! Chalk it up to fear of biting the hand that feeds me!!! I'll sure read it with interest, tho'!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                Hmmm...this is one thread I'll stay out of! Chalk it up to fear of biting the hand that feeds me!!! I'll sure read it with interest, tho'!
                He he. I'm with ya' on that one.

Based on past trends with this board, this thread will likely outgun the "FAVORITE local ads" thread.

pzarquon is right, the "Most revolting, Disgusting" thread I started a while back was quite an extreme way to start a thread. Boy, did that one grow into a beast!

That title came to mind primarily because of the topic of Quiznos "Singing Rats" commercial. It "revolted and disgusted" the public so much that Quiznos corporation's national gross sales were cut almost in half!

There couldn't be an ad campaign more fitting to dislike than one that actually HURTS a business' bottom line.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Continuation of the Quiznos TV ad and other national ad campaigns can be found here: Least Favorite National TV Ads and here: National TV Ads You Like (just like pzarqoun originally posted)

Mahalo Mel for straightening up da' house! Sorry for the drift.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                    [...] That title came to mind primarily because of the topic of Quiznos "Singing Rats" commercial. It "revolted and disgusted" the public so much that Quiznos corporation's national gross sales were cut almost in half!

There couldn't be an ad campaign more fitting to dislike than one that actually HURTS a business' bottom line.
                    I wasn't a fan of the Spongemonkey spots. I can say that 'cuz it was a national spot with no Hawaii ties! Don't think I woulda wanted to be in the ad agency/creative director's shoes when the hammer fell. Ouch! It probably fell on the entire agency. Dunno...never googled it!

Comment

Back to lowbrow commercials:

Westpac International: The one where the girl is rubbing her preggers belly and the guys are wrapping all their stuff for the big move? That's bad enough but it's by the same JINGLE MASTERS group here in Hawaii that sounds the same for just about every cheaply produced local TV commercial. Granted, they can make up a jingle about everything, but they all sound THE SAME!!!

Another commercial I can't take is the Redondo's crunchy sausage one where everyone is biting and chewing on this hunka meat and smiling! I don't wanna watch people bite into sausages! I dont' want to hear that sausages are crunchy!

There used to be a commercial for some kinda 808 Hi-Tech store that sold phone covers and crap: All the girls had giant boobs and were in bikinis. They all looked like hung out with boys with Japanese-made hotrods who still lived with mom and dad.

Finally any chiropractic, hearing aid or dental commercial. Same JINGLE MASTERS, same tune, just different words: We can brighten your smile/We can tweak your hearing/We can jump your bones!
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                        Another commercial I can't take is the Redondo's crunchy sausage one where everyone is biting and chewing on this hunka meat and smiling! I don't wanna watch people bite into sausages! I dont' want to hear that sausages are crunchy!
                        Oh! I *hate* that ad! If your sausage is crunchy, it has WAY too much gristle in it — or something else, I don't want to know what. Yecccch!

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                          There used to be a commercial for some kinda 808 Hi-Tech store that sold phone covers and crap: All the girls had giant boobs and were in bikinis. They all looked like hung out with boys with Japanese-made hotrods who still lived with mom and dad.
                          I think I remember that one... different strokes for different folks, I guess. I liked it.

Girls with giant boobs in bikinis? WINNAHS... and I'm not a ricer, nor do I live at home with my parents.

That ad was targeted at the business' core group of customers, and I think it was successful in getting their attention.

Can't say I actually went there to buy a faceplate or anything... hell, just like you, I don't remember the name of the store either!

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                            Girls with giant boobs in bikinis? WINNAHS... and I'm not a ricer, nor do I live at home with my parents.
                            Yeah, but they weren't hanging out with you, were they?

<better duck and run again!>

Comment

Guess that's why I liked watching the commercial... and going to those car shows at the Blaisdell for the "contests" they have...

Comment

Working...
                              X