X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha From Big Island

Originally posted by beaker
    We plainsmen call it "sno-cone".
    Oh, you open yourself up for attack with this one, friend...

Quickly acquaint yourself with the differences between sno-cones (small, mostly rounded granules of ice, from which the syrup runs off and gathers in the bottom of the paper cone) and shave ice (fine slivers of ice, with enough of a rough edge to hold the syrup throughout the time it takes to gobble the tasty treat.) You'll be hooked on the latter, and never make comparison of the two again.

Plus, I've never seen anyone offer sno-comes with azuki bean at the bottom.

Now - everyone be nice to beaker; I'm sure he's learned his lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
      Or azuki bean and ice cream at the bottom...onolicious and only in Hawai'i!

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        Well that much is certainly true. The shape of the ice particles depends on the machine that was used to break down the ice, and how fresh it is, which can vary a lot. Good sno-cones are fine flake freshly made for each cone, like the snow they're named after - or sometimes they're real snow. I didn't know any shave ice had ice cream at the bottom, though. Must investigate....

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
          I didn't know any shave ice had ice cream at the bottom, though. Must investigate....
          Lucky you - please DO investigate, and report back in explicit detail, for the benefit of those of us who don't get to enjoy shave ice quite so easily or as often as in the Islands (though, there ARE some good sources for it here in the Pacific NW.)

Shave ice with ice cream, sweet azuki bean, or both at the bottom - very popular options - I suspect you'll love 'em. HT folks --- where are your recommendations for beaker to check out in Hilo?

Comment

Mahalo for straightening it out for everyone in here. All those true to our islands local culture know that we do not call it shave ice here. It is ice shave. It could even be said specifically for the east side of the island too. We should all really check our facts before we spew local culture here regardless of how many years you've lived here. We don't want to give the wrong information to those that don't know nothing about our island.

Comment

I don't care what folks call it, I just know where to get it and that is Matsumotos'.

Comment

Originally posted by Keaukaha girl
                Mahalo for straightening it out for everyone in here. All those true to our islands local culture know that we do not call it shave ice here. It is ice shave. It could even be said specifically for the east side of the island too. We should all really check our facts before we spew local culture here regardless of how many years you've lived here. We don't want to give the wrong information to those that don't know nothing about our island.
                People may call it Ice shave elsewhere in the 'aina, but on Maui, we still call it shave ice. We don't call it shaved ice, though.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  People may call it Ice shave elsewhere in the 'aina, but on Maui, we still call it shave ice. We don't call it shaved ice, though.

Miulang
                  We always were a little "backwards" on the Big Island. However, it's simply attributable to regional variations in Pidgin. However, "shave ice" as opposed to "ice shave" is rapidly becoming the norm even on the east side of the Big Island due to the demographic shift that's occurring. Hopefully, folks will never get around to calling it a "sno-cone" here.
                  Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Yup, had me a wife from Hilo, once. She talked funny kine. We'd go order shave ice, she'd order ice shave. I'd point to a roadside vendor selling pickled mango, she say lets get some mango pickle. I'd tell her, "Honey, dis is not Hilo." She'd day, "Ai. Oh yeah, no?"

Comment

Some call it Lohi.

Comment

Big Island Hawaii, Welcome to the Orchid Isle.......
                        Oh, when change too like Maui.............
                        Welcome to the Valley Isle, The Magic Isle, Gilligan`s Isle.....

WHO COMING UP WITH THESE LO-LO SLOGANS.....

OGGBOY
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

Miulang
                          I was speaking specifically for Hawai'i, not the other islands. Ice shave follows the correct Hawaiian grammar, hau ko'i (ice shave) is what we call it in Hawaiian, not ko'i hau (shave ice). It just shows how screwed up the English language is, not "pidgin". We should call English "Pidgin-Hawaiian" since it is one of the most backwards language ever!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thorfinn
                            I don't care what folks call it, I just know where to get it and that is Matsumotos'.
                            As you get settled on O`ahu, explore further --- Matsumoto's has become a tourist haven, as much for the t-shirts as for the shave ice. You can get much better shave ice elsewhere on the island.

My favorite is Waiola Store, corner of Waiola & Pa`ani (McCully area of Honolulu. Or is that technically Moili`ili? My geography still gets messed up in town.)

Comment

My favorite shave ice is at B&S Store at the corner of School Street and Frog Lane. It's past Nuuanu going Ewa, just past the freeway onramp.

Real old-style shave ice, from a real old-style Japanese cast iron shave ice machine. They keep the blade sharp and tuned on the shave ice machine. The ice is super fine, melts in the mouth.

And if you're lucky, the old guy who has run the store for the past 50 years will make the shave ice for you with his bare hands. You know that his hands are immune to the cold after all the decades.

And they use old-school syrup for the flavoring--not too sweet, no exotic flavors. Just the same stuff as when my parents were kids. The Real DealTM.

Blaine
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Keaukaha girl
                                I was speaking specifically for Hawai'i, not the other islands. Ice shave follows the correct Hawaiian grammar, hau ko'i (ice shave) is what we call it in Hawaiian, not ko'i hau (shave ice). It just shows how screwed up the English language is, not "pidgin". We should call English "Pidgin-Hawaiian" since it is one of the most backwards language ever!!!!
                                hau ko'i...'aue so Hilo e!

pax

Comment

Working...
                                X