X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Hawaiian student kicked out of Kamehameha Schools

I'm surprised no one has commented on this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21275483/
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Re: Non-Hawaiian student kicked out of Kamehameha Schools

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    I'm surprised no one has commented on this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21275483/
    I was going to, and then decided against it because it appears to be a disciplinary issue and KSBE says he can return to classes if he gets good grades during this year that he can't attend Kamehameha. It is a shame that he did whatever he did to get into trouble with the school administration, though. I'm sure there have been quite a few kanaka kids who have also been disciplined by Kamehameha School.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Maybe he will realize, after attending some other school, that he never belonged at KSBE anyway. Regardless of how many lawsuits it took to get him there. It certainly shows he didn't respect the privilege he had been given.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Maybe he will realize, after attending some other school, that he never belonged at KSBE anyway. Regardless of how many lawsuits it took to get him there. It certainly shows he didn't respect the privilege he had been given.
        That's a huge helping of assumption particularly when we don't know what happened.

Comment

Did he really want to attend, or was it because his mother wished for him to attend, though? Usually a kid of 12 doesn't know what he wants, other than to go play video games. The KITV story about him said that the station checked and so far he has not shown up on any public school's attendance rolls. So is he being home schooled, or in another private school for this year?

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

if you choose to break rules, you show a lack of respect for those rules, and the place where the rules apply. Or maybe he was just frustrated with the whole experience and wanted out (now THAT is an assumption). Unless he chooses to explain what happened, anything is an assumption. as for where he is attending school - I'm not concerned with that. Maybe they've gone back to Kauai or something.

I just thought it was an interesting story and result of that court battle.
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
              That's a huge helping of assumption particularly when we don't know what happened.

having grown up in kalihi under the care of a single mother who, despite my having been granted a scholarship, had to scrape together the money for me to be able to attend another highly touted private school from seventh grade til senior year, i would say that i knew enough to respect the privilege of attending. if my mom had to go to court for me to attend a certain school, i'd make sure to bust my asterisk to keep my nose clean and earn good grades. that this kid broke rules severely enough or often enough to get suspended--whether he himself wanted to go to KS or not--leads me to believe he didn't respect the privilege (or his mom?) or want to be there enough.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                that this kid broke rules severely enough or often enough to get suspended--whether he himself wanted to go to KS or not--leads me to believe he didn't respect the privilege (or his mom?) or want to be there enough.
                Agreed wholeheartedly. 'Though I didn't grow up in a single-parent household, my parents were not well-off by a longshot, at least not while we were in school, and they sent two kids to a (not as highly touted, but vastly superior) private school, and we knew how lucky we were, especially since we were also on scholarship.

Originally posted by anapuni808
                Maybe he will realize, after attending some other school, that he never belonged at KSBE anyway. It certainly shows he didn't respect the privilege he had been given.
                Of course, KS dismisses students all the time, the overwhelming majority of whom are Hawaiian, so the ethnicity of the student is really irrelevant, except that it's because of his ethnicity that this student's enrollment is news. Those Hawaiian students who are thrown out don't belong there, either.
                Last edited by scrivener; October 13, 2007, 07:32 PM. Reason: "I'm dirty, mean, mightly unclean . . . I'm a wanted man . . ."
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Clearly this thread is dominated by those who never broke a rule or rules nor acted in such a way as to bring shame upon themselves or their family. Just kidding, of course. My point was simply that we do not know what happened. For better or worse, this kid will be a lightning rod for criticism and judgment for years to come and that surely won't be easy.

Comment

I'm with glossyp on this one. Whatever the kid did, I'm guessing it wasn't related to his non-Hawaiianness.

Comment

I agree Glen, I doubt his being kicked out had anything to do with him not being hawaiian. It's a total lack of respect!

I'm still trying to figure out how a student who was suspended for the rest of the school year be allowed back. I can see the 3-day suspension thing, but to be suspended for MONTHS? Hmm....
                      A proud sponsor of
                      http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Clearly this thread is dominated by those who never broke a rule or rules nor acted in such a way as to bring shame upon themselves or their family.
                        if i'm one of those who "dominated" this thread, i'll say here that i most certainly have broken rules and brought shame (more correctly, disappointment) to myself/my family.

Just kidding, of course.
                        ha. ha. ha. i'm laughing, of course.

My point was simply that we do not know what happened.
                        we know he broke rules severely enough/numerous times enough to get himself into his current sitch. we just don't know exactly why he did what he did or what specifically he did.

For better or worse, this kid will be a lightning rod for criticism and judgment for years to come and that surely won't be easy.
                        and he has whom to blame for that? (hint: it aint the people who "dominated" this thread.)

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                        I'm with glossyp on this one. Whatever the kid did, I'm guessing it wasn't related to his non-Hawaiianness.
                        maybe it was, in the sense that if he was sent to a school he didn't want to go to, and was, on top of that, the only non-Hawaiian, he might have acted out enough to get himself kicked out. i won't bet that his non-hawaiianess was not a factor. like i said, we don't know the boy's reasoning (or lack of reasoning) for breaking whatever rules he chose to break.

Originally posted by Mililani View Post
                        I agree Glen, I doubt his being kicked out had anything to do with him not being hawaiian. It's a total lack of respect!
                        in this case, the former (not being hawaiian) does not necessarily mutually exclude the latter (lack of respect), and vice versa. it could be that both were true.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I, too, have suffered the negative administrative consequences of my actions as both a private-school student and a public-school student. While I managed to avoid (serious) behavioral trouble in high school, I can't say the same for academic trouble, which I constantly either skirted or was right in the middle of, including one short stint on academic probation. In college, it was really more of the same: Suspended once, reinstated, dismissed, readmitted, dismissed again. And everything I said about this student applies as well to me.

Originally posted by Mililani View Post
                          I'm still trying to figure out how a student who was suspended for the rest of the school year be allowed back. I can see the 3-day suspension thing, but to be suspended for MONTHS? Hmm....
                          Since none of us knows what he did, even just speculation is unproductive, but let me provide a few examples of where this might make sense.

After my first two semesters at UHM, I was suspended for a low GPR. In this case, the school questioned my dedication to my studies. It gave me the one-semester suspension, saying I could return to classes if I did not attend post-secondary classes anywhere else during that semester. The idea was to allow me time to evaluate my role as a student and what that role implied for myself.

Later, when I was dismissed (read: kicked out) for not meeting the conditions of my probation (it was really not my fault, but I take responsibility for having been placed on probation in the first place), I was basically being told to pursue my education elsewhere. I went to LCC for three semesters and set it on fire. When I reapplied for admissions to UHM, I was not the same student who had been told to take a hike.

So here are two examples, one a suspension and one a dismissal, of how an educational instution might reasonably allow reinstatement or readmission.

As an educator, I have seen several students dismissed for behavioral reasons who were later readmitted. At my first school, the students were let go in eighth and in ninth grades. They went elsewhere, grew up a little, realized what they had given up, and reapplied. They, too, were no longer the students who had once been told to take a hike. In both cases, these students became terrific, contributing members of the school community.

Both of these cases were extraordinary, by the way. Both students were dismissed for very serious behaviors; both demonstrated upon application for readmission that they were ready to come back. In my twenty-six-year affiliation with that school, they are the only two people I know of who were granted readmission after behavioral dismissal.

But it happens.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

it takes a lot to get kicked out of KSBE. The review process at any level allows for appeal by the parents as well.

There are several reasons why one can be expelled from KSBE. One is the sheer fact of disobedience or civil disruptions (such as causing harm to students or faculty, destroying school property). Others are academic.

One thing KSBE does allow for is the tutoring of students that fall behind. But the student has to be receptive to that tutoring.

And for any disobedient act, parents are notified thru mailings. There is no way a parent of a KSBE student can not know of poor grades, attendance, detention or tutoring. KSBE makes every effort to retain their students by encorporating remedial studies during class or after school detention.

Even when a child is expelled, it is typically conditional, meaning if they can show an improvement in their grades at the school they ended up in, KSBE will accept that student back...conditionally, meaning they have to show improvement in their grades and show a desire to expound on KSBE's values.

If they fail again well it's not KSBE that kicked that student out, that kid kicked themselves out. And that applies to any school or any institution where acceptance of that institution's value or vision is a requirement and a stipulation of enrollment or membership.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              And for any disobedient act, parents are notified thru mailings. There is no way a parent of a KSBE student can not know of poor grades, attendance, detention or tutoring. KSBE makes every effort to retain their students by encorporating remedial studies during class or after school detention.

Even when a child is expelled, it is typically conditional, meaning if they can show an improvement in their grades at the school they ended up in, KSBE will accept that student back...conditionally, meaning they have to show improvement in their grades and show a desire to expound on KSBE's values.
                              That's actually good to know. My son has his interview and testing scheduled for next week for 9th grade. Not that I expect him to be disrespectful or disruptive if he gets in, but any information I can get "outside" of the KSBE website, is always helpful. Thanks!
                              A proud sponsor of
                              http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Working...
                              X