Can you top this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you top this?

Ok - my day started pretty normal. Got up on time, got to work on time despite having to let 6 buses go by on Beretania St. because there were no seats available. Saw a friend on the bus which was nice. About 10am there was a power failure downtown which affected a very large area - some HECO workers were injured. The building where I work lost power totally. We eventually had to clear the building because the temporary lights in the stairwells started failing & because the power was off, no sump pumps so no one could use the bathrooms. We have a school in the building with a couple hundred students -which equals a lot of flushing

Lunchtime comes along & we ordered some poke & rice because the place that sells the fish needed to clear their cooler. It was very good. Then about 2:45, I finally left the building - walking down 5 floors, with 2 arthritic knees and a cane. (the power came back on 30 min. later!!!!!)

Then, I went a block down the street - except for the traffic lights, everyone else had power. While waiting for the bus - I witnessed a pedestrian get struck by a SUV, while in the crosswalk!

Eventually I made it safely home - oh, did I mention we all have NO TV because the sattelite dish is not working? I spent a good part of the evening with my old friend Jose Cuervo.

So - how was YOUR day?
    Last edited by anapuni808; January 14, 2010, 11:07 PM.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Re: Can you top this?

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    I spent a good part of the evening with my old friend Jose Cuervo.
    Ana, friends don't let friends drink Jose Cuervo! That stuff is mostly cheap rum. That's what causing you those severe headaches. Ana you come visit matapule, he fix you up mo bettah.

So - how was YOUR day?
    My day was exciting too! So much happened, I don't know where to begin! The highlight was a visit with uaifi's cousin and his wife whom we haven't seen in several years. They are residents of Winnipeg, Canada. He is a PhD Anthropologist, she a music teacher. They are vital, vibrant, intelligent people with one interesting subject after another. They are 40 year residents of Canada, where they reared 3 children, and LOVE their single payer health system! They said it is not a perfect system but much better than anything in the US. It was their first visit to Cabo and liked it so much they bought a timeshare here.

But I digress. Ana, the really good news is that we made it through another day. Watch out world, Ana and matapule are here for at least one more day!
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I hate to see something like this, but that HECO explosion has "operator error" written all over it. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope those guys recover. Lucky to be alive.

The really unusual thing about our day is that nothing happened and we didn't do anything. Just read a lot, talked a lot, ate my way through the fridge, and had a very nice afternoon nap.

Boring is good.
      Last edited by Nords; January 15, 2010, 05:41 AM.
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I had an unusually boring day at work. Most were on vacation or sick, and there were just a handful of calls and walk-ins. It was so quiet that I checked the newspaper to see if there was something going on. I got a lot of backed up work done, tho, so it was all good... boring but good.

Comment

I woke up. Didn't like what I saw and went back to sleep.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Matapule, I don't have headaches, it was Cuervo Gold and it was in a margarita so it was ok. My favorite to drink straight up is Milagro. Believe me, I know good tequila! But the margarita was good to soothe my very sore knees!
            Last edited by anapuni808; January 15, 2010, 08:58 AM.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              My favorite to drink straight up is Milagro.!
              I have a half empty bottle of Milagro Anejo in my bar right now! But I am using La Dona 100% Agave tequila in my margies.

Last night I had a Cuba Libre with the cousins made with Havana Club rum from Cuba. It is illegal in the US because of the silly Cuban trade embargo. Ana, sinning never tasted so good!
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

When I woke up yesterday I checked the obits in the newspaper and my name wasn't there. That made it a GREAT day!

I can't top your day, anapuni, but I'm sorry I didn't know your predicament. I passed by your workplace a little before 3p. I could've given you a ride home. I got caught in the power outage mess heading down Nimitz to Costco. No traffic lights on Nimitz and NO police to control traffic. I had no idea why the lights weren't working so I made a mental note to not go home via Nimitz; instead I took King St...an even bigger mistake, altho' each intersection was manned by police!

Yikes...yesterday seems to be the day for SUV/pedestrian accidents. I just read that there was one at the exit ramp of my building. So THAT'S what all the sirens were about soon after I got home. That very steep ramp has always concerned me. I just sent the condo office an email asking if the victim is one of our employees.

The great news yesterday was my cousin became a grandpa for the 8th time (in 4 years!)...so I have a brand new first cousin twice removed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                  I have a half empty bottle of Milagro Anejo in my bar right now! But I am using La Dona 100% Agave tequila in my margies.
                  When I used to drink tequila (which was my favorite alcohol) I preferred Cazadores above everything else.

V <--- K on tee much tequoola!
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                  X