Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KGMB Sunrise

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
    ...they have yet to capture my eyes for long except the cooking segment with Ramsay yesterday. The girl has serious knife skills!
    That's not her only non-journalistic skill. In a promo preview for [Football] Friday's Sunrise, she can tackle like a linebacker.
    Last edited by Random; September 20, 2007, 11:35 PM.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
      My problem with the show and it was read on air already by someone who has the same gripe as I do: Too much weather and traffic. I mean I get the impression that every five minutes there is a weather update, does our local weather change so drastically that we need these frequent updates?
      Technically, it's every 10 minutes, whether it's on the 04's, 09's, 0-something for KHON.

Comment

Hey, guys, thanks for the kind words, and for the constructive criticism. Steve (who is actually still trim; the eating gags are schtick) and Grace and Jeff and Ramsay and I had a wild ride this week and it was a lot of fun. After years of being the only broadcaster at a newspaper it is a fresh experience to be working with members of my own tribe again, though the assistant producer of the show also used to work for PBN.

It's been interesting to see you compare and evaluate the personnel on different stations as if we're rival armies fighting to the death. I've got dear friends at all three of the other stations, who are also good friends with each other. We don't so much compete with each other as strive for our personal best; and, yeah, we're also trying to have fun. (This is important when you get up at 2:30 a.m.)

The big change for me is that I've never had a management more supportive of my using creative techniques to report decimel-pointed economic news than the people running KGMB. When I mentioned I was going to look for bigger Legos than the ones I used before, their instant reaction was to tell me to be sure to expense it! (Got any ideas for other toys I might employ?)

It's funny how nothing ever turns out quite the way you expect it will. I thought one of my biggest challenges would be learning to apply my own TV make-up (for my PBS Hawaii show there is a dedicated make-up professional, while at PBN I hadn't worn any.) Well, that turned out to be no problem at all. Instead, I'm wrestling with my reading glasses, which I've only worn since March. With them on, the TelePrompTer is blurry; without them, I can't read a word of any notes before me. If you watch this coming week you'll probably see me fiddling with the glasses and that's why.

I should have posted this to my own blog but I've been a semi-regular visitor here and feel like you're my cyberfamily...

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          I'm sure the lady viewers are disappointed that they didn't do one for Keahi Tucker.
          Sigh................red headed men are so hot!
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Dicus View Post
            The big change for me is that I've never had a management more supportive of my using creative techniques to report decimel-pointed economic news than the people running KGMB. When I mentioned I was going to look for bigger Legos than the ones I used before, their instant reaction was to tell me to be sure to expense it! (Got any ideas for other toys I might employ?)
            Speaking of Legos, try not to let your props block your face from the camera. You don't look good trying to peer from either side of the tall Legos building.

And bring back your yellow-pad artworks. I missed those.

P.S. One last thing. Enough with the Hunks of KGMB9. I want the Hotties of KGMB9 Calendar.
            Last edited by Random; September 21, 2007, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              Sigh................red headed men are so hot!
              I hope you're not referring to Carrot Top.

Comment

I didn't say ALL red headed men!!! and I was speaking on this thread only about Keahi (& "Dash") who are just so nice to look at when they are on the news.

Carrot Top is just plain scary looking!
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

i just saw Jim nabors on Sunrise and jeff booth interviewed him and it was Great to see Jim Nabors and when i was young,i also watched Gomer pyle and since now he's a lance corporal and he'll soon be promoted to Full Corporal so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Now that Sunrise has been on-air for already two weeks... what do you all think of the show so far?

Comment

They are trying too hard to be fun which comes off as goofy. Maybe they're targeting the preschool crowd with their antics and Lego and etc. And Howie seems out of place with his aloha wear against the suits. BLLEEAGGHH! I'll stick to KHON and KITV.

They should be more like their nighttime newscasts which I enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Maduro View Post
                        They are trying too hard to be fun which comes off as goofy. Maybe they're targeting the preschool crowd with their antics and Lego and etc. And Howie seems out of place with his aloha wear against the suits. BLLEEAGGHH! I'll stick to KHON and KITV.

They should be more like their nighttime newscasts which I enjoy.
                        i have the complete opposite opinion of this poster.

to me, it seems that the fun is genuinely lively and refreshing. the laughter they inspire does a lot to help wake me up. today, i enjoyed jeff's impressions of darth vader, chewbacca, yoda and then princess leia (using white coffee cups as stand-ins for the donut hair). i kinda feel like they're targetting MY generation, what with the pop references, etc. etc. rather cool, in my opinion.

as for there being too much traffic/weather? i disagree. people are on their way out the door, and they want to know what conditions are like RIGHT NOW. they don't have time to wait around for more than 15 minutes for an update. and maybe to some people, our "mostly sunny, highs in the mid-eighties, chance of rain in the mauka areas..." is the same old same old but then again even on oahu, there are microclimates and sometimes knowing that today there is a 80% chance of rain in mauka areas versus 50% really matters.

i think the way sunrise approaches traffic is brilliant, really. by contrast, dave hisaka is kinda bleh to listen to or look at and his traffic descriptions are basically monotone carbon copies of what he said the day before unless there's an accident or something.

we also used to watch howard on PBS so seeing him in his aloha shirts is a comfy, familiar thing for us. to tell the truth, i'd be happy to see steve and jeff in aloha shirts, too.

oh, and i loved howard's whiteboard of the islands with corresponding unemployment rates a few days ago! if we could get that info, i think a question raised in the superferry thread might be at least partially answered.

it'll be interesting to see if KITV makes any adjustments, especially upon mahealani's return next week. i will say i am glad we dvr both morning shows (we don't leave the house til 9:00 a.m. to avoid traffic), because if we only watched KGMB, we would have missed out on dan and ben doing couples yoga. and if we only watched KITV, i wouldn't have seen the stuff i mentioned earlier.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

hi this is sansei and if you go to http://kgmb9.com/ if you go to sunrise,you click on sunrise and then you'd look for the outake's of when they did their what is aka the sunrise blooper's and it's humourous! Lol!

if you watch on the video,you'd find the one with the messy office which is on the sunrise outake's and the morning commericial's before they started doing the morning news and i laughed at it and it was lol!

Well thank's for your time:O)

Comment

Okay, who here besides me got blinded by Jeff Booth's legs on the morning of Halloween?

I laughed at his Magnum PI costume. And yeah, I almost thought I'm back in the 80's.

Comment

Jeff Booth's white legs aside...had to don my sunglasses!...I'm really enjoying Sunrise. Others may prefer harder news first thing in the morning but I prefer to wake up with a laugh. I think the team's doing a great job so soon after the show's launch. And, a couple of mornings ago, while getting ready to make the commute from Makaha to town, I was grateful for the continual traffic tracker updates.

I'm a convert. Hallelujah and amen!

Comment

I have to agree - the people are likeable (and appear to like each other), the traffic and weather information are useful (as goofy as Booth is), and I have always respected Howard's insights and 'explanations.'

They are also making a real effort to use the medium - it is TELEVISION show - with live shots and (prime example) the traffic stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X