KITV 4 News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KITV 4 News

Both Sprinkles have been at KITV for a long time, and presumably are making top dollar at the station. Their contracts were due to expire at the end of the year, so perhaps there is/was a "handwriting on the wall" aspect to Gary's departure, no matter how nicey-nicey the language in the announcement is.

Today (Wednesday) is the last day of the rating period for November, and The Numbers will be out maybe second week of December. Check back to see if the husband-and-wife duo made a difference in the stations 6 p.m. (main show) audience. They were number one at 5 p.m., but that might not necessarily translate to similar success at 6.

Perhaps 'ax falling' is a little harsh, but . . .

Comment

Check out Erika's column today, including this:

(...)
      "Sprinkle has worked in TV news for 32 years, beginning in Tucson, Ariz.
      "A little-known fact is that his father, Art Sprinkle Jr., hired the late, legendary news anchor Bob Sevey at then-KULA-TV (now KITV) in the 1950s as a production manager. After his transition to news, Sevey hired Sprinkle's son Gary at KGMB in 1978 as a weekend sports anchor.
      "Sprinkle and Young, then the "Mixed Plate" reporter at KHON-TV, got married in 1985, and by 1991 both were anchoring the new 5 p.m. newscast at KITV, a slot in which they were top-rated for most of the years since."
      (...)

I've had the pleasure of spending time with Gary and Pam at many social events and always found them to be extremely nice folks. I wish them well in the future.
      Also, someone elsewhere suggested replacing them with Howard Dashefsky and Diane Ako. From Diane's writings here on HT I got the impression that she wouldn't be interested, but I hope she reconsiders!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Check out Erika's column today, including this:

(...)
        "Sprinkle has worked in TV news for 32 years, beginning in Tucson, Ariz.
        "A little-known fact is that his father, Art Sprinkle Jr., hired the late, legendary news anchor Bob Sevey at then-KULA-TV (now KITV) in the 1950s as a production manager. After his transition to news, Sevey hired Sprinkle's son Gary at KGMB in 1978 as a weekend sports anchor.
        "Sprinkle and Young, then the "Mixed Plate" reporter at KHON-TV, got married in 1985, and by 1991 both were anchoring the new 5 p.m. newscast at KITV, a slot in which they were top-rated for most of the years since."
        (...)

I've had the pleasure of spending time with Gary and Pam at many social events and always found them to be extremely nice folks. I wish them well in the future.
        Also, someone elsewhere suggested replacing them with Howard Dashefsky and Diane Ako. From Diane's writings here on HT I got the impression that she wouldn't be interested, but I hope she reconsiders!
        There's also Stacey Loe as a possible contender.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          There's also Stacey Loe as a possible contender.
          I think it was mentioned in the KGMB thread there is a non-compete clause in her current contract.

Perhaps a year out, but by then I am sure KITV will have their new anchors in place.

Sad to hear that Gary and Pam are breaking up on the news set. I mean who is going to do "Pets on Set" without them?
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Loe unlikely after KGMBs departure news release gushed over her professed wish to be 'a full-time mom...'

And if she did want to go for it, might there not be non-compete hoops to jump through?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              Please use this thread to continue discussion about KITV 4's 10 pm expanded newscast.
              It's not a good idea for a newscaster to expand especially with Hi-Def.

Comment

Fortunately I don't have hidef TV yet.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'm watching the 5pm news today and only noticed that Paul Drewes is now with KITV. Glad to know that he has found another position.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    I mean who is going to do "Pets on Set" without them?
                    Oh, man. Positively the most blatant sweeps hook ever attempted by a local station, and (apparently, since it's been repeated every six months) a very successful one.

I hated it, not because I don't like cute puppies and kitties, but because it was so damned obvious and had so little news value. At least Gary's underwater excursions and Pam's travels showed me something educational.
                    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                      Oh, man. Positively the most blatant sweeps hook ever attempted by a local station, and (apparently, since it's been repeated every six months) a very successful one.

I hated it, not because I don't like cute puppies and kitties, but because it was so damned obvious and had so little news value. At least Gary's underwater excursions and Pam's travels showed me something educational.
                      I see what you mean, but it's a concept many stations used and have used for 25 plus years in other markets, though I admit most of the time I have seen it seems to be on the morning programs on the mainland. In Phoenix they did it almost every single day and it drove me nuts too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                        I see what you mean, but it's a concept many stations used and have used for 25 plus years in other markets, though I admit most of the time I have seen it seems to be on the morning programs on the mainland. In Phoenix they did it almost every single day and it drove me nuts too.
                        Grins.

SON: But M-o-ommm!

MOTHER: Son, just because everyone else jumped off the roof, does that mean you should too?

Comment

Linkmeister,

We have done Pets On Set three times a year(during sweeps) forever. It does give us something additional to promote for the 5pm news during sweeps and it is kind of "hokey" but the reason we have continued to do it has much more to do with the fact that the Hawaii Humane Society is able to save a bunch of dogs and cats each time we air the series. The public responds by not only adopting the pets we have on set but many others due to the interest we raise.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
                            Linkmeister,

We have done Pets On Set three times a year(during sweeps) forever. It does give us something additional to promote for the 5pm news during sweeps and it is kind of "hokey" but the reason we have continued to do it has much more to do with the fact that the Hawaii Humane Society is able to save a bunch of dogs and cats each time we air the series. The public responds by not only adopting the pets we have on set but many others due to the interest we raise.

Mike
                            Mike, I have no doubt it has redeeming value for HHS and for needy dogs, cats and rabbits. And as I said, it must be successful since it's repeated so frequently.

I don't happen to like it, but that's just me. I keep hoping for 23 minutes of solid news on any station's half-hour newscast, not just yours. My hopes will never be fulfilled, I'm sure. They weren't when I spent a couple of years in LA, a much larger market with more news to report, so I shouldn't expect them here.

Never mind whether I watch it or not; if it works for most of your viewers and more importantly for the shelter critters, fine.

Comment

So we can safely assume "Pets on Set" will continue beyond Pamela and Gary's departure.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I need to revise my opinion of the late news on KITV. I just skimmed through the DVR version of last night's (Tuesday) show, and I must say it was impressive.
                                Of course, it was a relatively "newsy" day, and that helps - but on this night, there was variety and a minimum of lather-rinse-repeat with a half-hour and then another version of the first half-hour.

It will take resources to sustain, and I still question whether there is an audience for an hour + nightline at that time . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X