Hauling & Dump Run Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hauling & Dump Run Help

Our townhome complex in Mililani is being painted next week, and of course I let time get away from me. Part of the requirements is that we clear our yards and garages, moving everything a foot away from walls. Of course, coming from a long-line of packrats (not as bad as "Hoarders," fortunately), that's impossible with the decades of stuff we've accumulated.

So, this week, I need to get rid of lots of junk. A shelf, a giant sofa (with a fold out bed), a dresser, a desk, and lots of random other things... rusted tools, computer parts (not monitors, I know!), and the like. Nothing a single run to the dump couldn't fix... if I had a truck, and maybe even a little muscle.

I was looking at just renting a truck from United Truck Rental or Penske or Uhaul or Home Depot and tackling this. But someone pointed me to Craigslist, where there seems to be several people advertising exactly the sort of help I need. Moving heavy objects and taking it to the dump. Seems straightforward. Of course, Craigslist is a free for all, so you never know what you're gonna get.

Any suggestions? If you've used one of these casual hauler folks, I'd love a recommendation (or warning!). If it's just better to do it myself renting just the truck, let me know too... though the huge sofa will probably kill me!

Re: Hauling & Dump Run Help

Depends on what you want to pay. When I moved out of a house, I had some badly weathered furniture and rugs that I wasn't going to keep. Not to mention stuff my old roommates left behind that no one wanted.

I used 1-800-GOT-JUNK.

They bill you according to what percentage of their truck they fill. They do ALL the moving and dumping. It'll run you a few hundred bucks if you have a LOT of stuff. But it was so convenient and quick, I felt I'd put a plug in to recommend them. Electronic waste will get an extra surcharge though, so you might want to just keep that and recycle it at an electronics store, if they offer it around here.

Comment

When I moved to the mainland last year, I realized I had accumulated quite a stunning pile of junk. I too called 1-800-GOT-JUNK for my dump run.

While it wasn't all that cheap, it was convenient. I had enough stuff to fill the truck (including electronic junk), and the bill came out to somewhere near $450 if I recall correctly. The guys were friendly, helpful, and fast. All I had to do was point to piles of crap all over the house and they took care of the rest.

Some people were wondering why I'd pay that much, and it came down to either me renting a dumpster and filling it myself (and paying for the dumpster fee plus disposal fees) or having someone else deal with it. I figure in time and effort, it would have come down to the dumpster being only slightly cheaper. Plus, this way I had time to do other stuff while they took care of the junk.

Comment

Try some of the non-profits. If they have the capacity with manpower and trucks, offer them a donation to haul as a community service then write it off. It's a thought
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          Try some of the non-profits. If they have the capacity with manpower and trucks, offer them a donation to haul as a community service then write it off. It's a thought
          This is similar to my suggestion, which is a church. I used Word of Life 3 years ago for a move and they took all the stuff I didn't want. They also cleaned my office from floor to ceiling and cleaned the carpet...but you're not looking for that! I got estimates from professional companies so I'd have an idea what to offer as a donation. What I loved about WoL is that this service used their youth at risk kids/young adults. A couple of the teens were special needs kids. It was so great to watch the young adults oversee and encourage the teens. I don't know if WoL still offers this service.

Comment

Thanks, all! Hadn't heard of 1-800-GOT-JUNK, but I think dick outlines why I'd go a similar route. I'm willing to pay a premium for convenience and good service.

Trust me, everything worth donating is donated. What we're talking here is junk. Like, a giant wooden desk that's been out in the rain for ten years, half swollen and falling apart. Or a trash can that was full of metal garden tools that filled up with water once upon a time, and is now a nearly contiguous lump of rust!

I found a guy on Craigslist, selected primarily for his ability to spell, who's going to do three dump runs (he came by and estimated what we showed him), including the heavy lifting of the sofas and furniture, for under $200. Totally worth it if I get to just point, shake his hand, then relax.

Of course, we'll see how it goes. But I'm hopeful I saved myself a tetanus shot and sprained back!

Comment

PZ, if he turns out to be a good find, post his name and number in this thread. I assume if he's on Craiglist then posting his info here shouldn't be a problem!

Comment

Working...
              X