The Last Resort on ABC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Resort on ABC

This thread is for the discussion of ABC TV's "The Last Resort" which is filming in Hawaii. From Wikipedia:

Last Resort is an upcoming American military drama television series created by Shawn Ryan for ABC and produced by Sony Pictures Television and will be on Thursdays at 7:00 pm Central, premiering September 27, 2012.

ABC greenlit the pilot in January 2012, allowing filming to begin.[7] The show will be filmed in Hawaii[8] and produced by Sony.

Created by

Shawn Ryan
    Karl Gajdusek

Starring

Andre Braugher
    Scott Speedman
    Daisy Betts
    Camille de Pazzis
    Dichen Lachman
    Daniel Lissing
    Sahr Ngaujah
    Autumn Reeser
    Jessy Schram
    Robert Patrick
    The Last Resort (official website)

Series Promo Trailer on YouTube

Series Episodes on Hulu (free)

Commentary

ABC TV has successfully tied up the Ft. Ruger studio in Kahala now for several years. They had it for at least 5 years while LOST was on ABC, and then had it for another 2 years with the less than steller TV series Off the Map and The River also filming here.

Perhaps The Last Resort will be a hit... I think that is what ABC is hoping. They have been looking for another LOST since 2010....

The program supposedly premieres this coming Thursday September 27 on ABC (KITV 4 locally)... except that episode already "aired" on Yahoo (with no commercials) and is available on Hulu for viewing as I expect the rest of the episodes will be.

I've seen the program. It looks promising... a U.S. Navy Nuclear sub anchors off a small tropical island resort after it defies questionable orders from the United States to launch their nuclear missiles. Looks like these guys will become a presence on this island and use their remaining (17) arsenal of missiles as a means of defense and negotiation. There are people on the island, in fact it is some kind of "resort" already... not much is known about it so far.

Looks like the location shooting is done at the often used Kualoa Ranch on Windward Oahu, at least from what I could make in the first episode.

Whether the finicky TV viewer buys into this series (among several newbies being introduced this fall) remains to be seen.... at least I have to wonder if ABC has another series in the works in case this show fails so that they can continue using the state facilities out in Kahala.

Anyway use this thread to discuss all aspects of this show - episodes, production, cast, ratings, reviews, etc. Have fun.
    Last edited by mel; September 23, 2012, 08:59 AM.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: The Last Resort on ABC

Watched the pilot episode last night. It definitely has an interesting premise. This is one of those shows that if they are really going to do it well it has to have an endpoint. I can't see this carrying on for years. If they map it out with a solid storyline for 1 or maybe 2 seasons it could be successful. If it just turns into "skirmish of the week" it will get old.

Having a Navy background, there were a lot of cringe moments and gaffs, but I guess that's to be expected. Admittedly when you're from Hawaii it throws you for a moment when you see diamond head or other recognizable landmarks, and then you tell yourself "oh yeah it's supposed to be an island in the Indian ocean".

I hope they don't lose sight of the fact that we're talking about nukes going off. They set the pretty serious tone in the first episode, so I hope they maintain that level of intensity given the subject matter.

Plan to watch the series and see how it all pans out...

Comment

Also in the opening credits with a recurring role...local boy, Michael Ng. So proud of him.

Comment

I also watched the pilot episode last night and I agree: it looked very promising. The thing I liked about the pilot was the introduction of a lot of characters, most of whom were interesting enough, though we weren’t quite sure why. We certainly didn’t know very much about them. This sets up subsequent episodes that could explore the storyline of each character more in depth, similar to what the Lost pilot and subsequent episodes did.

Comment

Saw the last two epsiodes yesterday via abc.com. Seems that the everyone on the USS Colorado seems to be the victime of some kind of conspiracy.

Don't know if the SEAL team they picked up at the start of the first episode factors into the conspiracy.

Comment

Last Resort

I'm finding ABC's Last Resort pretty dense. This is another of ABC's 'filmed in Hawaii, but not ABOUT Hawaii' epics, and I have tried to follow it - but after just three or four episodes, they have not hooked me.

A US missle-equipped submarine, which sometimes is detectable and sometimes not, parked on a beach at some island of questionable nationality and certainly mixed ethnicity (Caribbean kind of guy claims to be in charge, lots of folks about with almost Australian accents, a funeral this week at which the 'natives' - wearing lava lava - carted a teen ager's corpse off for burial with distinctively Polynesian-sounding chants . . .). Hoo-boy. What's this all about?

The show should come with a program to explain the play, the players, their relationshps, the geography, etc., etc. etc. I've gone to the blogs, read the reviews . . . will this be the next show cancelled?

Anyone out there make any sense of this?

Comment

Re: Last Resort

For some reason this subject is being discussed in "Hawaii Television". Here ya go:
              http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...904#post279904

Comment

Re: Last Resort

just discovered/remembered that
                majalo

Comment

I'm finding Last Resort pretty dense. After just three or four episodes, they have not hooked me.

This week for example . . .on the island of questionable nationality and certainly mixed ethnicity - Caribbean kind of guy claiming to be in charge, lots of folks about with almost Australian accents, a funeral this week at which the 'natives' - wearing lava lava - carted a teen ager's corpse off for burial with distinctively Polynesian-sounding chants . . .). Hoo-boy. What's this all about? I'm not seeing a connection between the beginning of the show and what has happened since - too far-fetched.

The show should come with a program to explain the play, the players, their relationshps, the geography, etc., etc. etc. I've gone to the blogs, read the reviews . . . will this be the next show cancelled?

May give up on this one...

Comment

OK, just for the record, I went to where 'Last Resort' used to be on HT (Hawaii TV, under 'media') and re-posted my comment there . . .but somehow it go moved to The Tube.

This makes it look as though I'm repeating myself - NOT!

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                      This makes it look as though I'm repeating myself - NOT!
                      Sorry this is just the way things went in the transition of uniting the subject under one topic.

I have yet to watch last week's show. So far I can follow it fairly well....

I don't let the use of Hawaii get to me on this one because the location premise is entirely fictional in the storyline which means the producers/writers can adapt any kind of "culture" they see fit to use in the show.

So far "Last Resort" is still on my Hulu favorites list.

BTW, this thread should remain in Hawaii Television since the show is one of 2 prime times shot in Hawaii just like LOST a few years ago.
                      Last edited by mel; October 16, 2012, 11:47 AM.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        [...]
                        BTW, this thread should remain in Hawaii Television since the show is one of 2 prime times shot in Hawaii just like LOST a few years ago.
                        I've always been under the impression that Hawaii Television related to made in/played in (local only) shows and The Tube was for all other shows. I stand corrected.

Comment

We're still watching, though my wife more reluctantly. It's weird. The show is utterly ridiculous, forehead-slappingly unrealistic, and yet, the intensity of the tone and the commitment of the cast to that ridiculousness is impressive. Andre Braugher could deliver a line about flying the submarine to the moon so convincingly, I might still suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy it.

But I agree with Kimo that there are too many 'layers' to this world, and those layers are too blurry to nail down. I am definitely a little nervous about the increasingly muddled "native" community, more and more seeming like a hodge-podge of "otherness" from a less-enlightened Hollywood era.

Comment

This just in . . .

Networks-Show-Their-Love-For-Low-Rated-Shows Day continues as Deadline reports that ABC has ordered two additional scripts of both of its struggling freshmen dramas Last Resort and 666 Park. Though an order of additional scripts does not guarantee that more episodes will be filmed, it is a sign that the network has not given up on a show. Sometimes it means that the network is working with the producers to make some creative changes in a show and wants to make sure that the tweaks are working before committing to spending lots of money on new episodes.

With so many new shows debuting to low ratings, it looks like the networks are both lowering their expectations and taking more than numbers into consideration.

Comment

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=179741111

They cancel um already.

Comment

Working...
                              X