Astounding crash in Kaneohe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Astounding crash in Kaneohe

I'm not sure if it ever changed. I just recall seeing a dirty sign in the tunnel for 25. I think it was to prepare the drivers for the curve at the exit. I think going into the tunnels it's 35.

Personally I think 35 for the curve itself is reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
      Star Bulletin has a story about the driver. History of 6 speeding tickets. Grrr.
      The Honolulu Advertiser reports online today about the driver, "State court records show Krzywonski was ticketed 17 times for alleged traffic offenses between May 19, 2001, and April 24, 2008. Seven of the tickets were for speeding, including a 2003 citation for allegedly going 118 mph in a 55 mph zone."
      Can you get auto insurance with 17 tickets? Without insurance, you cannot get a safety check. No safety check, no registration. Somehow it seems this bad driving situation would have been caught by "the system"...?
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
        The Honolulu Advertiser reports online today about the driver, "State court records show Krzywonski was ticketed 17 times for alleged traffic offenses between May 19, 2001, and April 24, 2008. Seven of the tickets were for speeding, including a 2003 citation for allegedly going 118 mph in a 55 mph zone."
        Can you get auto insurance with 17 tickets? Without insurance, you cannot get a safety check. No safety check, no registration. Somehow it seems this bad driving situation would have been caught by "the system"...?
        He could get insurance, IF he's willing to pay the highly-surcharged premium! When the rates get too high, drivers go into the "assigned risk" pool, also called "joint underwriting" (JUP). Insurance companies cannot cancel policies arbitrarily, except for non-payment of premiums. They can only surcharge more, or place drivers into JUP when the rates exceed JUP rates.

Nothing in the story so far indicates that the driver was uninsured or unlicensed. With his record, his license should have been revoked.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
          [...]With his record, his license should have been revoked.
          Bingo. That was my exact thought when I initially heard about the 6 tickets on the news. And now Amati informs us of 17 tickets. Why the h3!! did that guy still have a driver's license? Did his record fall thru the cracks? Did he keep getting one more chance? Favoritism possibly? Amazing...

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            The Honolulu Advertiser reports online today about the driver, "State court records show Krzywonski was ticketed . . . including a 2003 citation for allegedly going 118 mph in a 55 mph zone.
            I firmly believe that anyone going more than 100 mph needs to be arrested and charged with a felony. Don't send them to driver's ed. Send them to prison. What they're doing has deadly consequences and there's absolutely nothing justifiable for going that fast anywhere except on a race track. And unfortunately we don't have any of those anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              I think going into the tunnels it's 35.
              Correct. I just came home from the Buffett concert and came over Likelike. There's a 35mph sign just before the curve that's just before the tunnel. I tried to imagine doing that curve at 100... but it's absolutely unimagineable.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Bingo. That was my exact thought when I initially heard about the 6 tickets on the news. And now Amati informs us of 17 tickets. Why the h3!! did that guy still have a driver's license? Did his record fall thru the cracks? Did he keep getting one more chance? Favoritism possibly? Amazing...
                I know that the DMV no longer assesses points for various traffic infractions. But still, that guy's license should have been revoked when he was caught doing 118 mph. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

What I want to know is,.... who was the judge that let this guy keep his license after getting clocked at 118 mph? The media should dig that up that idiot judge's name, let he/she face the wrath of public opinion, and be removed from the bench. It's as I said in another thread. Overly lenient judges are almost as bad a menace to society as are the criminals themselves.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  The wet/mossy patches come before and right at the Kaneohe bound entrance of the tunnel.
                  Glad you mentioned that. I was wondering about how wet the road was. Hydroplaning could explain the lack of skid marks, yeah? And it could have led him to go up the embankment.

I see too many drivers nowadays breezing through there at speeds I would estimate at 60+ mph. That can be scary, if they should suddenly lose control just as they are going past me.
                  Exactly. Driving at 100+ mph on a straight, empty road takes no skill. It's when something unexpected happens, that people realize how little skill they have (assuming they survive long enough to realize it).

A few nights ago I was driving my family home on H-1. A SUV speeding down the left lane tried to cut across 4 lanes to take the next exit. The driver didn't see us and the car's brake lights came within a foot of my side view mirror before it veered away.

The thing that bothered me was my reaction, or rather my lack of a reaction. I don't mean a lack of a driving reaction but a lack of heart pounding fear. All I felt was annoyed. I should have been terrified. A tap from that heavy car to the front of mines could have flipped us.

I think my lack of fear is due to never being in a terrible accident *knock on wood* or witnessing one. Driving is a still a video game to me. I haven't felt that lose of control.
                  "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                  "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                  "
                  Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    I tried to imagine doing that curve at 100... but it's absolutely unimagineable.
                    Your first post in this thread made the consequences quite imaginable, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      The speed limits on most roads are calculated by engineers, as one of the guys said on the news. I don't know what kind of buffer zone is added to the numbers (taking human tendencies into consideration), but if a road can handle 35 MPH and you're going 45, that's excessive speeding, friend.
                      It can be calculated by first semester physics students:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2120140AAlbbVC

You can figure out precisely how fast you can drive on a road by finding the banking angle, etc., but it's probably best just to avoid speeding altogether.

What a tragic story. My prayers go with the family and friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        [...]
                        What I want to know is,.... who was the judge that let this guy keep his license after getting clocked at 118 mph? The media should dig that up that idiot judge's name, let he/she face the wrath of public opinion, and be removed from the bench.[...]
                        Ok, HT media folks...who's gonna run with this?

Comment

The thing that bothered me was my reaction, or rather my lack of a reaction. I don't mean a lack of a driving reaction but a lack of heart pounding fear. All I felt was annoyed. I should have been terrified. A tap from that heavy car to the front of mines could have flipped us.
                          On the other hand your lack of reaction could have been what saved you. Had you reacted, you could have crashed.

Comment

A few nights ago I was driving my family home on H-1. A SUV speeding down the left lane tried to cut across 4 lanes to take the next exit. The driver didn't see us and the car's brake lights came within a foot of my side view mirror before it veered away.

This is going slightly off-topic, but one thing I notice now. Newer SUVs having those side mirrors with the LED turn signal. When used properly, they obviously have safety benefits as it alerts other drivers. But I'm beginning to wonder if some of these guys with Escalades/Hummers and the like feel that these signals means they can be less careful in making safe lane changes. IOW, just because they have the additional signal means that other motorists will brake or get out of the way for Mr/Ms SUV to make whatever manuevers they please.

Please! These signals do not entitle you to make turns whenever you want. You cannot assume that motorists around you will always brake and make room for you. It does not absolve you of the responsibility to make sure that your turns and lane changes are safe, any more than the reverse beepers relieve a truck/van driver from the responsibility of being alert and making sure that they are not backing into something or someone.

Rant over.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

A tap from that heavy car to the front of mines could have flipped us.
                              I’m thinking the other way. If the SUV hit the front of your car it would “steer” you in one direction. On the other hand the SUV has its wheels turned and hitting your car would push the rear end in the opposite direction. The SUV would turn sideways and most likely roll over.

Either way it would no be a pretty sight.
                              "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                              Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                                I’m thinking the other way.
                                Same here. Most cars have much of their weight on the front wheels. But unless the SUV had some passengers or cargo in the back, it's likely to be light on it's rear wheels.

Comment

Working...
                                X