SNL skit about Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNL skit about Hawaii

It will be interesting to see if there's any fallout from last night's Saturday Night Live skit about Hawaii:

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Li...hotel/1056148/

Re: SNL skit about Hawaii

Unfortunately for us, it was pretty funny.

Comment

It wasn't THAT funny, 'though I did like the "Aloha hard" line. Nobody takes seriously something on a show like SNL. It's a comedy sketch. Nobody's going to watch that and think that's what it's like to visit.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Some minstrelsy, but it's basically the truth.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I enjoyed it!
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I saw the video referenced by the link in the base post of this thread. They were some funny parts in the skit, did like the single guy that said "skip me please" and Dwayne's reaction to the lady when she said "Isn't Obama from Illinois".

The skit does suffer from errors in geography. The guy playing the uke says "Welcome to the island of Kauai", but at the start of the skit there is a shot of a Waikiki hotel. Plus there is a reference that the two of them have to drive 15 miles inland to go home, which would make sense if they were on Oahu but on Kauai because all of the towns in Kauai are along the coast of the island, except for Kokee and they would have mention about going uphill and driving on winding roads to get home.

Comment

The Rock said they live in a pickup truck, not a town. I'm sure there are some pickup-truck-living people on Kauai fifteen miles inland somewhere.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                The skit does suffer from errors in geography. The guy playing the uke says "Welcome to the island of Kauai", but at the start of the skit there is a shot of a Waikiki hotel.
                I noticed that too. However, at one point during the singing I did hear the word Hanalei, so there's your Kauai connection.
                As for the original question wondering if there'd be any fallout from the skit, I doubt if there will be. You know the old saying "Any publicity is good publicity" and that holds true in this case. The skit surely won't make anyone cancel a visit here.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I giggled but didn't guffaw during the skit. It seemed relevant to me 'cuz of Dwayne's connection to Hawaii. I doubt SNL gives a rip about geography; ditto for it's audience. It didn't bother me in the least. I laughed at the 15 mile reference and the only island I figured that was possible on was the BI.

Comment

In addition to the Obama line where Dwayne reacts with the "You know what!" to the Obama question, I thought that it was funny that Dwayne couldn't remember any of the words to the "song" throughout the entire sketch.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      1) Nobody takes seriously something on a show like SNL. It's a comedy sketch.
                      2) Nobody's going to watch that and think that's what it's like to visit.
                      1) I think Sarah Palin and Co. would have a differring opinion...
                      2) Most mainlanders have no clue about Hawaii other than a few cliches and will buy into virtually anything shoved at them, especially when it's on TV.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        Nobody takes seriously something on a show like SNL. It's a comedy sketch.
                        Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        1) I think Sarah Palin and Co. would have a differring opinion...
                        Well then, we just won't take her seriously either.

Comment

An impressive skit.
                          Yeah whats up when the guy says welcome to KAUAI when I just saw Waikiki in the begining?

Anyways a pretty funny clip. I laughed my butt off when The Rock I MEAN Dwayne knocks over the glasses w/ the two guys making a joke about getting leid if ya know what I mean. And yeah the talk about Obama and the gal says isnt he from Illinois and Dwayne just wanted to slap the gal for that comment was thee memorable part of the skit.

Comment

A skit about Hawaii? Rob Schneider isn't on the show anymore.

Comment

I didn't think it was funny, and not because of the possible effects it may have on tourism. On the other hand, without the dialogue, I did find the idea of "The Rock Obama" skit very funny. hano hano...
                              ___
                              "Be god to each other."

Comment

Working...
                              X