• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien

Conan's team's response sums it up nicely:

NBC Exec: Conan’s ‘Astounding Failure’ Caused Late Night Mess
    by Matt Webb Mitovich

Amid talk that Jay Leno is thisclose to inking a deal to reclaim the reins of ‘The Tonight Show,’ one veteran NBC exec has laid the blame for the late-night shuffle and kafuffle at the feet of Conan O’Brien.

“What this is really all about is an astounding failure by Conan,” NBC Universal Sports chairman Dick Ebersol told the New York Times.

Ebersol, who during his long tenure with NBC helped create ‘Saturday Night Live’ and frequently consults on the network’s late-night strategy, deems O’Brien’s monologue disses of Leno “chicken-hearted and gutless.” He says ‘The Tonight Show’ is now losing to CBS’ ‘Late Show with David Letterman’ not because ‘The Jay Leno Show’ offers a weak lead-in, but because O’Brien ignored Ebersol’s advice to tweak his shtick to better suit an 11:35 audience.

“I like Conan enormously personally,” Ebersol said. “He was just stubborn about not being willing to broaden the appeal of his show.”

UPDATE: A member of O’Brien’s camp responded to Ebersol’s comments, telling TheWrap.com, “This is the essence of NBC’s problems – Conan O’Brien is losing his job because he didn’t take the comedy notes of a 62-year-old sports producer.”

Aside from longtime friend and NBC CEO Jeff Zucker, Ebersol is pretty lonely on Team Jay, as O’Brien enjoys the support of peers such as Letterman, Jimmy Kimmel and Rosie O’Donnell.

As a guest on Thursday’s ‘Leno Show,’ ABC’s Kimmel left his host visibly flustered with repeated barbs about Leno’s late-night land grab. “Listen, Jay, Conan and I have children—all you have to take care of is cars,” Kimmel said. “For God’s sake, leave our shows alone.”

O’Donnell, appearing at the Television Critics Association winter tour, likened the hosting of ‘The Tonight Show’ to the driving of a bus. She urged Leno to “pass the keys to the new guy with red hair, and not try to flatten his tires before he even gets going.”

Outlets such as The Washington Post and TV Guide Magazine hear that a deal is being hammered out to reinstall Leno as host of ‘The Tonight Show’ while paying O’Brien (very generously) to quietly walk away. But until that transition happens, the guy with the red hair continues to get in his digs.

“No matter what happens,” O’Brien said during his Thursday monologue, “it’s been a real honor to sit in the same chair as Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, Jay Leno… and Jay Leno.”

Comment

Any exec at NBC responsible for this fiasco should shut up and resign. Ebersol's 'advice' is exactly what turns good shows into was, it's the kiss of death, and in a nutshell is what is wrong with TV today and has been for many years. What a boob.

Kimmel? I've never bothered a second with him but his stock just shot thru the roof with me per his comments to Jay, and live on the show!

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      “No matter what happens, it’s been a real honor to sit in the same chair as Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, Jay Leno… and Jay Leno.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWmgbKu3f7I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axwO6BkCtIo
      Last edited by Ron Whitfield; January 15, 2010, 03:06 PM.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

http://www.thewrap.com/article/break...onan-30m-13048
        http://www.thewrap.com/article/break...m-13048?page=2
        And then there's this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axwO6BkCtIo

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Two points...1. At the risk of redundancy, NBC didn't want Leno to defect to another network. 2. Conan's late night show, beginning in the early 90s, took a lot longer than 7 months to garner a good following.
          It's true that Conan had a rough start trying to follow in Letterman's footsteps on Late Night and NBC gave him a couple of years to establish himself. But that was on the 12:35 pm time slot. We're now talking about the Tonight Show and it's 11:35 pm starting time. It's the big leagues now, so to speak where patience and time for trial-and-error are at a premium.

Yep. And to think this has been almost 6 years in the making.
          There's no such thing as a "sure thing" when it comes to show biz.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: The Tonight Show with... somebody

If I was NBC, I'd get rid of all of 'em and just air reruns of Johnny Carson.
            Ratings bonanza!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              [...]
              There's no such thing as a "sure thing" when it comes to show biz.
              T'ain't that the truth! Bring back I Love Lucy, Amos 'n Andy and Uncle Miltie!

Comment

TS, check out my new post about www.fancast.com you might find an s-load of oldies you like, few of which can be found anywhere else. I just finished another episode of Highway Patrol.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  [...]
                  And apparently Conan's contract does not stipulate a specific time slot. [...]
                  I heard just the opposite but that was a few days ago. This fiasco changes on an hourly basis!
                  Ok...just heard what you heard, LN. I wonder how this mess of a story will read tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Ebersol, who during his long tenure with NBC helped create ‘Saturday Night Live’ and frequently consults on the network’s late-night strategy
                    He's the same guy who fired Norm McDonald from SNL because Norm made jokes about his friend O.J Simpson.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    What about Jimmy Fallon!
                    Throw into the squared circle too, Jimmy Kimmel, Craiq Ferguson, John Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Tyra, Oprah, Ellen, Ripper Collins, and Curtis "The Bull" Iliakia in a battle royal.

Comment

Re: The Tonight Show with...

From Associated Press, about half an hour ago:

Source: Deal near for O'Brien to leave `Tonight'
                      Published - Jan 15 2010 09:02PM HAST

By LYNN ELBER - AP Television Writer

NBC neared a deal Friday with "Tonight" host Conan O'Brien to leave the network, freeing Jay Leno to reclaim the late-night show he stewarded for 17 years, according to a person familiar with the negotiations.
                      Top NBC Universal executives and representatives for O'Brien on Friday were close to settling details of his departure, said the person, who lacked authority to discuss the issue and spoke on condition of anonymity.
                      Universal Studios president and COO Ron Meyer was among those involved in the talks, the person said.
                      The focus has been on how much O'Brien, who has time left on his NBC contract, would be paid for leaving and what limits NBC may put on his future employment at another network.
                      The deal under discussion would provide for a settlement of more than $30 million and allow him to start a new show as early as this fall, the person said.
                      O'Brien has two-and-a-half years left on his contract; reports of his annual salary vary widely, from $10 million to $25 million.
                      (...)
                      Other late-night hosts, including David Letterman on CBS, have been using their shows to crack jokes about NBC's late-night mess and the players. On Friday, Leno fired back.
                      "Even Dave Letterman is taking shots at me, which surprised me. Usually he's just taking shots at the interns," Leno said, a reference to the CBS host's admission last year that he had affairs with women who worked on his show.
                      Letterman and Leno had vied for "Tonight" after longtime host Johnny Carson retired in 1992, and Leno won the hard-fought contest.
                      O'Brien landed "The Tonight Show" gig after successfully hosting "Late Night," which airs an hour later, since 1993. But after debuting last May, he quickly stumbled in the ratings race against Letterman.
                      (...)
                      Fox executives have expressed their admiration for O'Brien but said they haven't taken steps to create a late-night show for him.

Will the last person to leave late night please turn out the lights?
                      Thanks.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

ABC News just reported that Conan will leave with Leno retaking the Tonight Show. Needless to say, Conan isn't leaving with empty pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
                          ABC News just reported that Conan will leave with Leno retaking the Tonight Show.
                          No wonder Conan's monologue yesterday had a touch of anger in his jokes of NBC. He laughed at how much money NBC is losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            No wonder Conan's monologue yesterday had a touch of anger in his jokes of NBC. He laughed at how much money NBC is losing.
                            I missed last night's show but Conan's monologue the night before was definitely the sign of a man who's nights are numbered.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              "It's not personal, just business"...
                              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                                "It's not personal, just business"...
                                Is Andy Richter the hitman?

Comment

Working...
                                X