Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Hawaii Hall
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who will you vote for Governor?
U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa (D) 1 12.50%
Incumbent Gov. David Ige (D) 2 25.00%
Former Hawai‘i Sen. Clayton Hee (D) 2 25.00%
Undeclared Democrat (i.e. Rick Blangiardi) 1 12.50%
Undeclared Independent (i.e. Mufi Hannemann) 0 0%
Former Hawai‘i Sen. John Carroll (R) 0 0%
Hawai‘i Rep. Andria Tupuola (R) 0 0%
Undecided 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 29th, 2018, 02:50 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Hawai‘i Governor’s Race

At one time, it was unheard of for ANY fellow Democrat to challenge a sitting governor. But David Ige used unconventional campaign tactics to break tradition in 2014 — by running against, and defeating — Neil Abercrombie.

Now, after numerous scandals have rocked the foundation of state government, the shoe is on the other foot. Seizing the moment — several big names have entered the 2018 race for Governor.

Who will you cast your ballot for this year?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993

Last edited by TuNnL; March 29th, 2018 at 03:25 AM.
Old March 30th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Hawai‘i Governor’s Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
after numerous scandals have rocked the foundation of state government, the shoe is on the other foot
if that's as rocky as it get's then there are 49 envious States.
we could jot Hawaii's biggest problems on scratch paper and solve them before Christmas if the powers wanted to.
Old March 31st, 2018, 12:26 AM
Ali`i

Lightbulb Re: Hawai‘i Governor’s Race

Quote:
after numerous scandals have rocked the foundation of state government, the shoe is on the other foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
if that's as rocky as it get's then there are 49 envious States.
we could jot Hawaii's biggest problems on scratch paper and solve them before Christmas if the powers wanted to.
I wish it was, Ron, but unfortunately — it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Governor Ige's tenure has been a boondoggle ever since he tried to appoint a real estate development executive to chair the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR). You have to take your hat off to former U.S. Rep. Ed Case for nudging his sister to step in and provide a viable alternative.

But one controversy after another has highlighted an administration with few accomplishments — other than the Randy Iwase-spearheaded rejection of a NextEra takeover of Hawaiian Electric Company (HECO).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old March 31st, 2018, 08:02 AM
Ali`i

we could go on all day how much he / Dems / everything sucks but comparatively we got it good.
I don't see anybody better than Ige...
Old April 3rd, 2018, 02:15 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
we could go on all day how much he [...] sucks but comparatively we got it good. I don't see anybody better than Ige.
Well, the question is whether you have a crystal ball — or are stating a minority opinion, then, Ron. It is true the governor came from behind in 2014 — which is the reason I started off this post with that background information.

David Ige will have to do it again to win in 2018 — this time with the benefit/burden of incumbency. And with a “lame duck” lieutenant governor he appointed, no less. We'll see if our Hawaiithreads.com poll will provide a different snapshot than the one given by Mason Dixon Polling between March 13th through the 18th.

Latest poll shows who is on top in the race for Hawai‘i’s next Governor

Posted: Mar 26, 2018 8:52 AM HST
Updated: Mar 26, 2018 8:52 AM HST

KITV-4

Quote:
In the race to become Hawai‘i Governor, a new poll by the Honolulu Star Advertiser shows Democratic Candidate Colleen Hanabusa holding a 20% point lead over Current Governor David Ige.

That data gathered from 498 potential Democratic primary voters around the state showed 47% supporting Hanabusa, compared to 27% supporting Ige.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old April 3rd, 2018, 04:13 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener
Unhappy Re: Hawai‘i Governor’s Race

I have never been a David Ige fan. I didn't mind his low-key approach to legislation, but there are times when a leader has to stand up and say something, and he let far, far too many such times pass.

Then I was pissed (pissed!) at the Democratic party for allowing him to unseat a governor who has spent his career with the opposite approach. I'm not a Democrat, so I didn't vote in the primary, but I watched it with horror. The party elected a guy who did its dirty, daring work for it and went along for the ride. The legislature was going to punt the same-sex marriage issue again but the governor forced a vote, and we finally righted a longstanding wrong.

But really, no thanks to David Ige or his colleagues in the capitol.

I've told Abercrombie in person that his party screwed him, and he agreed. I was always annoyed by the old-boy network the party perpetuated, but then I was utterly furious at this new upsetting of the apple cart, not because I have an issue with upsetting apple carts, but because in this case I sincerely think the party let him walk a tightrope, got what it ultimately really wanted at very little risk to itself, and then cut the line while he was still walking it.

Then Ige surprised me. He came out strong very early on three issues he didn't have to come out strong on. He supported TMT. He spoke on behalf of the state in welcoming European refugees (which may have been a no-risk position, but I still liked it). There was one more, and I don't think it was the Paris agreement, but there may have been that as well.

Anyway, his days are numbered partly due to some ineptitude, which I won't argue against. But is the solution really a return to the old-boy machine, as it would be with Hanabusa? I'm sure the party thinks it is, and that depresses me.

As if I weren't already depressesd enough about the state of politics in this country.
Old April 6th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Well, the question is whether you have a crystal ball — or are stating a minority opinion
1 person's opinion is the ultimate minority opinion. I don't like desperate career politicians who've done little else, and Hanabusa reeks of it. her lead is surprisingly massive at this point, if she takes it we can only hope for the best. she's far better than anything I've seen from any other party, not that I'm watching... and of course the Rs can go to hell.

Abercrombie was a turncoat bum, that's why he was voted out.
Old April 7th, 2018, 07:22 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
I didn't mind (David Ige)'s low-key approach to legislation, but there are times when a leader has to stand up and say something, and he let far, far too many such times pass.

[...]

Anyway, his days are numbered partly due to some ineptitude, which I won't argue against. But is the solution really a return to the old-boy machine, as it would be with Hanabusa? I'm sure the party thinks it is, and that depresses me.

As if I weren't already depressed enough about the state of politics in this country.
This is really the elephant in the room, so to speak. Certainly, no Republican has been an elephant in the room since Charles Djou won a special election in 2010 to serve Hawai‘i in the U.S. House of Representatives.

It is a tragedy how a maverick legislator like Colleen Hanabusa so quickly turned into a corrupt, “old-boy network” lackey — simply because she perceived party powerbrokers as pivotal to her rise to higher office.

It’s a cautionary tale in today’s political environment. At least if mainland trends will have any impact on local elections. But it’s not as if we haven’t had that type of groundswell before. A little more than 15 years ago, the Aloha State elected a Republican governor to two consecutive terms — after 40 years of Democratic “rule.”

Not to say that I believe either of the current Republican candidates have ‘shave ice’ chance in Hell to gain traction in 2018. But you have to think Hanabusa is not taking poll results as gospel. It hasn’t been proven who exactly is behind the Super PAC which recently smeared Clayton Hee — opening the gates for campaign mudslinging with an opening salvo.

If a seasoned political veteran like Mufi Hannemann would declare candidacy — as an independent — it would at least neutralize the type of “shout down/ kick on the ground” and “overspend” tactics that cripple the “non-anointed” candidates into obscurity. Hannemann has been on the rebound — ever since his Hawai‘i Lodging and Tourism Association has broadened it's political influence and reach — with impactful initiatives to address homelessness in the islands.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old April 30th, 2018, 03:12 PM
Luna

Angry Re: Hawai‘i Governor’s Race

Once again we are left with picking the "least worse" of choices.
I normally vote Republican, but will vote Ige just so the other two will, hopefully, not get in.
Not a big fan of ige, but hana or hee would be a disaster for hawaii.
hana and hee have shown that they can easily be bought. They are strong "pay to play" supporters. They will sell off anything that will profit themselves.
ige is not the brightest bulb in the box, but at least he has a little integrity. Not much, but way more than hana or hee.
Best choice for this state would be Tupuola, but I don't think she has a chance.
John Carrol would be great, but I think he's past his prime.
Biggest problem here is one party is in charge. Because they're in charge, they can hide what they do.
We are like sheep here. Just follow along without thinking.
There are so many problems these days. Dems have been in charge for so long. If they're doing such a good job, why do we have all these problems????? Time to make the dems accountable for all the problems. Kick the bums out.
Old May 4th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
Once again we are left with picking the "least worse" of choices.
I normally vote Republican.
There are so many problems these days. Dems have been in charge for so long. If they're doing such a good job, why do we have all these problems????? Time to make the dems accountable for all the problems. Kick the bums out.
which is it?
yes, Dems suck, but kicking them out in place of what? show me 1 mainland R who's better. they stink far worse.
we have our problems cos we allow them. we don't demand better.
Old June 6th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Keiki

Send a message via Yahoo to terrence k. teruya

Its been awhile since I have come back to this site, I got so disgusted by politics I just shut myself off. Now I am running again this time for governor. teruyaforgovernor.com I have been collecting information on what has been going on and think its time to get "OUR" message out. I understand I may get pushback but I think most of what I am running for is very important. I will be visiting this site again just to see how many people feel the same way.

I would like to thank everyone in advance for your support and I would like to say sorry in advance in case anyone may disagree with my views. Much Mahalo

Terrence Teruya

teruyaforgovernor.com
Old June 6th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
Once again we are left with picking the "least worse" of choices. I normally vote Republican, but will vote Ige just so the other two will, hopefully, not get in.

(...)

Biggest problem here is one party is in charge. Because they're in charge, they can hide what they do. We are like sheep here. Just follow along without thinking.

I think most people (besides Ron Whitfield) are in agreement with you. But look where that rationale led you. It’s posts like yours that turn politically “aware” citizens like me to vote for random political novices like Terrence Teruya.

It’s essentially the same reason why Donald Trump was elected. A complete lack of trust, faith or respect for career politicians. The difference, though, is that Trump bankrolled his campaign and maximized every dollar.

FWIW, the cold, hard truth is that it’s probably not possible for a guy with 39 Facebook friends and the UPS Store as his campaign headquarters to do the same.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old June 7th, 2018, 01:26 AM
Keiki

Send a message via Yahoo to terrence k. teruya

yes it's the honest truth on everything you said, and ha Ha I definitely know it, you have a good night starting my second job in 10 minutes
Old June 11th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
It’s essentially the same reason why Donald Trump was elected. A complete lack of trust, faith or respect for career politicians. The difference, though, is that Trump bankrolled his campaign and maximized every dollar.
for fuck's sake he didn't spend shit campaigning cos the damn media gave it all to him for free and he knew they would! he's had this whole sKKKam in his NAZI sKKKull for decades. idiots didn't trust Gmt. so they voted in the most untrustworthy grifter shithole on the planet? they were motivated by one thing, 40 years of raw righty butthurt and then enraged by the black guy kicking their asses for 8 years! this is all happening cos of pure hate and rampant I-don't-give-a-shitism with no absolutely no basis in reality. anybody supporting this pig and his sty full of monsters are the most guilty of assholes in all history. OHHHH BUT HER FUCKING EMAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 11th, 2018, 10:53 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
for fuck's sake he didn't spend shit campaigning
Actually, according to the Wall Street Journal, Donald Trump had contributed $66 million of his own money as of a week before Election Day 2016.

Quote:
had this whole sKKKam in his NAZI sKKKull for decades.
You’re thinking of Prescott Bush — grandfather of Jeb Bush (whose campaign and PACs spent the most money of any Republican candidate in the primary). Prescott was a well-known Nazi sympathizer — who is alleged to have plotted an assassination attempt on President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Quote:
this is all happening cos of pure hate and rampant I-don't-give-a-shitism with no absolutely no basis in reality.
Don’t know what “this” you are referring to, but if you mean the first face-to-face meeting in history — between a U.S. President and the Supreme Leader of North Korea — sorry, Ron.

This is REAL.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old June 12th, 2018, 09:52 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Actually, according to the Wall Street Journal, Donald Trump had contributed $66 million of his own money as of a week before Election Day 2016.

You’re thinking of Prescott Bush — grandfather of Jeb Bush (whose campaign and PACs spent the most money of any Republican candidate in the primary). Prescott was a well-known Nazi sympathizer — who is alleged to have plotted an assassination attempt on President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Don’t know what “this” you are referring to, but if you mean the first face-to-face meeting in history — between a U.S. President and the Supreme Leader of North Korea — sorry, Ron.

This is REAL.
you're a dishonest fool and you know it. you're not sorry about a goddamned thing.
Old June 15th, 2018, 02:49 AM
Ali`i

can I get a kim chee salute? LOL
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/north-kore...opstories.html
Old July 16th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Ali`i

Sunday's paper sez CH is crumbling vs DI with only a month to go til election day, 44% - 40% with 16% undecided. it seems she hasn't given voters enuf reason to toss Ige out, and while I'm no fan of either it's probably best to stick with the enemy you know and let her try again later. you know she will...
Old July 16th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Sunday's paper sez CH is crumbling vs DI with only a month to go til election day, 44% - 40% with 16% undecided.
It does look like our own Hawaiithreads.com poll was a more accurate prediction of voter sentiment up to this point. The Ige PR team has done a lot to clean up his image.

As the saying goes, it ’aint over ’til it’s over. It remains to be seen how Hanabusa’s camp reacts to Mason-Dixon’s new polling data. It will be curious to see if Ige’s Attorney General-turned Lieutenant Governor gets a similar boost. Without further ado, here is the source Ron is referring to:

HAWAII NEWS

Hawai‘i Poll: Hanabusa’s lead fades as Ige bounces back

By Kevin Dayton July 15, 2018
Updated July 16, 2018 11:23am

STAR-ADVERTISER ILLUSTRATION

Quote:
The commanding 20-percentage-point lead that U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa enjoyed over Gov. David Ige in the Democratic primary for governor just four months ago has evaporated, with Ige pulling ahead one month before election day, according to a new Honolulu Star-Advertiser Hawai‘i Poll.

The Hawai‘i Poll showing Hanabusa’s suddenly weakened political position comes as Ige generally receives high marks for his handling of severe flooding on Kaua’i and a devastating eruption of Kīlauea Volcano on Hawai‘i island, events that may have bolstered his image as a competent leader.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old July 19th, 2018, 07:49 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
The Ige PR team has done a lot to clean up his image.
I doubt anybody is paying attention to image makers since we all know who he is and no one is making inroads against him despite his flaws. when I saw CH touting the wonders of ohana zones /sanctioned squalor for the homeless I just wanted to slap her. meanwhile, Ige's do-nothing 4 yrs on similar issues leaves him in the same pathetic boat. if they can't do better than that on such a basic and easy issue to conquer then neither deserve further attention, too bad there's no competition.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 07:25 PM
Ali`i

lol mayyyybeeee! https://www.facebook.com/kainoa.kaum...03011320651266