Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honesty thread - Anybody here eaten dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honesty thread - Anybody here eaten dog?

It's a terrible 'tradition', not one I condone at all, but still rather common in Hawaii, even on Oahu.

I did once, at a Filipino family party on Lanai in the later 80s.
    Was so saucy that it could have been 'singing cat from Mars' meat, and I wouldn't have known.
    Wasn't something I needed the recipe for, or was dying to try again.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Honesty thread - Anybody here eaten dog?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    It's a terrible 'tradition', not one I condone at all, but still rather common in Hawaii, even on Oahu.

I did once, at a Filipino family party on Lanai in the later 80s.
    Was so saucy that it could have been 'singing cat from Mars' meat, and I wouldn't have known.
    Wasn't something I needed the recipe for, or was dying to try again.
    Being born Filipino, I have not yet had the pleasure.

Besides, I prefer human.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Never had it, but what's so "terrible" about it?

Do you eat cow? I do, even though I know that a huge part of the world's population would consider it terrible that I do, as they consider cattle to be sacred.

We eat what we were raised to eat. But we shouldn't be so biased against what other cultures choose as food, as long as they aren't forcing us to eat it as well.

Comment

I don't like the killing of animals for food, but they do taste quite good.
        What fo' do?!

Comment

Yes, in Tonga. It was prepared in an umu (imu) with taro leaves and coconut cream. Yum, yum. Also had horse (a little stringy); live, still wiggling octopus tentacle (once swallowed it tickles the tummy); Sea Cucumber (sea slug); raw sharks liver (a delicacy which only high officials are allowed to eat) and a number of other things I couldn't identify.

When in Rome, eat as the Romans do. You don't get to be a matapule by being a wimp.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I would eat a dogs ass if it was cooked right...I have NO issues in eating what some cultures deem "domesticated". I have eaten horse, and really enjoyed it...and truth be told, if it came down to a matter of life and death, and say we were crashed on the side of a frozen mountain, you(or anybody)was frozen and "past their prime" and I was starved to almost death, I am gonna start snackin on something*hint hint*...I guess that is a different scenario though. lucky for you, Muaahhahahahahaaaaa

But seriously, after balut, I am open to anything.
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

A dog's ass? Hmmm...

Sounds like you have 0 issues in eating, period!

So, how long would it take (day's/weeks) before your fellow man started looking like a ball park frank?

Matapule, what was sea cucumber like? Not that I'm gonna suggest it to the local JITB or BK.

Comment

Re: A dog's ass? Hmmm...

Matapule, what was sea cucumber like?
                It was.....spongy. It didn't have much taste other than what it was cooked with. Frankly, I was wishin' I had a bottle of Tabasco and a cup of home brew (Tongans used fermented coconut).
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Yup, had it at a feast a family of a Lakota boy for going to do sundance.

Had horse, buffalo, bear, squirrel, raccoon, 'oppossum, rattle snake, 'gator, deer (raw and cooked), snapping turtle, snails, shellfishes, balut, prairie oysters, lambs head with the eyes, assorted fish parts (salmon, walleye etc.).

That's what I liked, there's some things I can't stand...like haggis...bleh!!!

Comment

I don't like the killing of animals for food, but they do taste quite good.
                    What fo' do?!
                    Agreed. If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make 'em outta meat?

Comment

I heard dog tastes like pork.

Can anyone tell me if this is true? I've heard that people prepare dog by beating and torturing them days before. Supposedly, it brings out the best flavor. Before slaughter, they force feed vinegar and rice so that the intestines will be cleaned out and filled.

I heard this from a couple of people. One of them lived next door to Filipinos, and he said the sound of suffering dogs was so awful, that they eventually moved. They reported them to the humane society, but nothing was done. Can anyone confirm/deny this practice? The thought of it gives me nightmares.

Comment

Are there any restaurants on Oahu that have dog on the menu?

Comment

I never tried eating a dog or planning to eat one just to say that I did. As far as other people wanting to eat a dog, I don't see a problem with people raising their own dogs as a food source. I do have an issue with people killing other people's dogs for food, I don't think that is right.

Comment

If sharks, lions, tigers and other known man-eating predators could talk, I could just hear them asking this same question.

How about Cuy. Every try that?

Ever take a walk through Chinatown in Honolulu lately? I did just last week. While not nearly as shocking as what you'd find in other countries (or perhaps even other states), if you really look, there's enough of a visual slaughter-fest in the meat and fish markets there to open your mind and nostrils up. Surely at least a world beyond the tamed-down westernized environments of a typical Foodland, Safeway or Costco.

Live frogs? Check. Whole rabbit carcasses? Check. Pig's heads and internal organs? Check. And the butchers there show no shame in displaying their knife skills, if you know what I mean.

Comes down to philosophy 101.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                              I heard dog tastes like pork.
                              don't remember. i was eight when i ate dog during a visit to the philippines. might be true, bcs i ate it without knowing it was dog, and i presumed it was pork. *shrug*

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post

Can anyone tell me if this is true? I've heard that people prepare dog by beating and torturing them days before. Supposedly, it brings out the best flavor. Before slaughter, they force feed vinegar and rice so that the intestines will be cleaned out and filled.

I heard this from a couple of people. One of them lived next door to Filipinos, and he said the sound of suffering dogs was so awful, that they eventually moved. They reported them to the humane society, but nothing was done. Can anyone confirm/deny this practice? The thought of it gives me nightmares.
                              i'll answer the question this way. some "people" beat other people, torture them, murder them, then eat em with fava beans. so, in that sense, no one can deny/confirm that "people" do what was claimed to be done to dogs to prepare them as food.

have you ever had foie gras? if the idea of force-feeding an animal to "clean it out" gives you nightmares, you had better never let your tongue and belly know the luscious joy of a fattened duck liver, otherwise you put yourself in the category of "hypocrite."

god, i really hate this stereotype. i'll say it here again: it irks me that filipinos are painted in hawaii as if we, rabid and savage brown folk that we are, are the sole dog eaters of the world. only in the last twenty years or so was consuming dog meat banned in germany. it is well documented that south korea banned dog meat restaurants to "sanitize" seoul in preparation for the olympics. eating dog is a practice known to every continent in the world, without exception. even switzerland has dog meat sausages and jerky to this day.

i will never deny that there are some of my people who like a bit of grilled fido on a sunday afternoon. some who do this are stupid enough to steal a dog from a country club and slaughter it. what sickens, saddens and incenses me is that there are those who purposely use this bit of truth to denigrate all my people and all my culture, reduce us to being that spooky, wierd and evil "other" and that even more folk, like unthinking, joyfully ignorant lemmings, perpetuate the racism.

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

Ever take a walk through Chinatown in Honolulu lately? I did just last week. While not nearly as shocking as what you'd find in other countries (or perhaps even other states), if you really look, there's enough of a visual slaughter-fest in the meat and fish markets there to open your mind and nostrils up. Surely at least a world beyond the tamed-down westernized environments of a typical Foodland, Safeway or Costco.

Live frogs? Check. Whole rabbit carcasses? Check. Pig's heads and internal organs? Check. And the butchers there show no shame in displaying their knife skills, if you know what I mean.

Comes down to philosophy 101.
                              having just come from a trip in the philippines and walked around several "wet markets" where fresh meats, fish, etc are sold in the open air without the benefit of heat lamps, refrigeration, or sneeze guards, and where customers can reach out and touch a tenderloin with bare hands to decide whether to buy it, it is abundantly clear to me that we americans do not, generally, have a realistic or honest relationship with food.

on the contrary, our relationship with food is based in fantasy. it's a rare one of us nowadays who knows what cutting open a carcass smells like, or how long it takes to grow that head of lettuce before it's the right size for a salad, or what patience it takes to catch a fish. our food just magically appears, wrapped in styrofoam and plastic, and made pretty by a host of people including butchers, genetic biologists, and large corporations.

if you know how much feed it takes to fatten up a chicken so that it's ready for soup, you're not likely to fatten yourself with large amounts of chicken. if you witness firsthand the labor it takes to make one bowl of sushi rice, you're not likely going to gorge yourself on it or throw it away just because you can't finish it in one meal. if you had to gut and de-scale every fish you ate instead of purchase pre-cleaned, pre-fileted, vaccum-packed frozen cuts, you'd have an appreciation for food that the general american public does not have.

i'll say it again: most americans have a relationship with food that is based in fantasy.

take, for example, those people who refuse to eat any cut of meat unless it is boneless, headless, legless, eyeless, etc. personally, i feel that if you have no stomach to eat meat off the bone or don't have the respect for your food that you can eat it while looking into its (dead) eyes, you shouldn't eat meat at all.
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                              X