Classroom luau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classroom luau

The 3rd grade class of mo`opuna #2, who lives in NoCal, is currently studying Hawaii and will end that course with a class luau next week. He needs to bring sugar cane and cookies.

Originally macadamia nut cookies were assigned but the nuts must be eliminated due to potential allergies. I'd love suggestions for a cookie that can be identified with Hawaii in some way. It can be store bought or a recipe.

The sugar cane will be tasted by the students. I think I remember, years ago, that the cane was sold in short pieces...somewhere!

All ideas are greatly appreciated.

mahalo...Parker's tutu

Re: Classroom luau

Okay...I'll take a stab at this even though my last baking post was not a success.

HAWAIIAN TEA COOKIES
    1 3/4 c. flour
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 c. butter, softened
    1 c. sugar
    1 egg
    1 tbsp. lemon juice
    2 tsp. vanilla
    1 c. shredded coconut
    Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir in flour, salt and soda. Add coconut. Shape dough in two 2 inch diameter rolls. Roll in colored sugar. Wrap tight in plastic wrap. Chill about 4 hours. With sharp thin knife, using sawing motion, slice dough 1/4 inch thick. Place 1 inch apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees 10-12 minutes. Rolled dough can be frozen, then thawed, sliced and baked.

They're pretty good. And you might be able to google a less time-consuming recipe for them, if interested.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

In the spirit of 'school' what about school kine cookies?
      ___
      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Call Gay & Robinson on Kauai. They used to sell pieces of sugar cane to tourists. Worth a try

(808) 335-2824
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

If pressed for time do sugar cookies done up to look like palm trees, tropical fish, surf boards, flowers, etc.

Could try this if he can find candy molds.

HOME MADE GUMMY CANDY

12 pkgs of Knox Unflavored gelatin (16 pkgs if doing own color and flavoring)
          2 large pkgs of Jello, any flavor ~or~ add 4 more pkgs of unflavored gelatin, flavoring and color (food coloring) of your choice
          2 cups water
          1 cup Karo corn syrup (light)
          1 cup granulated sugar
          1/4 tsp. Cream of Tartar

Mix Knox gelatin, Jello and Cream of Tartar in the water until well blended, then add Karo syrup and sugar, mix well until sugar is dissolved. Cook over low to medium heat stirring CONSTANTLY. Mixture scorches very easily.

Mixture is full cooked when clear and bubbly and it forms threads when the spoon is lifted, about 250 degrees on candy thermometer, (threads will not become hard like hard candy).

Immediately ladle or pour into a non-stick pan or into oiled/sprayed candy molds. Refrigerate until mixture sets. Cut sheets of gummy candy into cubes or shapes with cookie cutters. Candies can be dusted with powdered sugar, fine sugar or corn starch to keep them from sticking together.

Comment

Just had a thought...

Make up the gummy candy stuff in an aqua blue color. Pour it into some flat oiled cake pans to about an inch deep. Let it cool some so it's firm but not yet fully solid.

Make some rice crispy treat stuff up and get some graham cracker crumbs (boxed or home made).

Layer the crispy mix and the crumbs over the top of the gummy candy in wavy rows so it looks like the ocean floor and press it in a bit with a spatula so it fully adheres to the gummy candy.

Let it set up fully.

Cut the mix into serving blocks of about two to three inches square....like brownies.

Turn out the pan and separate the block...hopefully they look like blocks of ocean.

Set a cookie surfboard on top (sugar cookie made longish instead of round.)

If he wants to go nuts he can get a couple packs of the red swedish fish candies and 'float' some into the ocean gummy mix before putting on the ocean 'floor'.

The process would be like making an upside down cake...kinda sorta.

Just don't put the 'sand' down first, the gummy mix is too hot and the crispy mix breaks apart and floats into the gummy stuff...I know this from Sienna's biology cell project

Last edited by Peshkwe; May 12, 2009, 05:03 AM.

Comment

I've purchased sugar cane stalks (actually they're very chopstick looking)
              to grill shrimp on at Foodland in the produce section. You/they could cut them into pieces. They weren't that expensive and had several in a package.
              Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                I've purchased sugar cane stalks (actually they're very chopstick looking)[...]
                Do you recall where you purchased them?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of your ideas. Your project sounds like fun, Peshkwe. If I was close by, I'd do it for the visuals. I'm sure the kids would get a kick out of it.

I forgot to mention that the room mothers want tastes that are associated with Hawaii. I think I'm going to suggest the small size (3 oz.?) paper drinking cups containing haupia. Hopefully I can find sugar cane pieces today and ship those and haupia mix packages tomorrow.

Comment

Are pineapples still being grown in Hawaii? If so sending them a fruit to show what it looks like might be a suggestion.

Comment

Cran sent me a jug of Li Hing Mango by Jade out of Waipahu for the girls, those were pretty good tasting. Get a couple jugs to ship with the cane and other stuff....maybe some other dried fruit type things flavored for local tastes.

Comment

I was just thinking of some of the Jade products, too! Anyway, I got the sugar cane and haupia mix at Murakai in the Farmers Market. I'm embarrassed to say that was my first time in there! Whatta great store. BTW, the 99ยข Store moved into the Farmers Market.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        I was just thinking of some of the Jade products, too!

*rubs fingernails on shoulder*

Heh....I can climb into brains purty goot eh?

Comment

As extra snacks, I bought li hing mango and premium mix arare. Those will be pretty exotic for those 100, NoCal keiki. Of course, so will haupia!

Leashlaws, I bought the chopstick size cane sugar for taste testing and one 8" long full, round stalk. That one's for show and tell! The store also had stir stick size cane.

It was fun playing tutu today!

Comment

I was thinking, if you ever decided to play with the gummy candy idea you could probably do individuals by using the metallic/foil cupcake inserts.

Fill with the gummy stuff, put in a candy fish and let set,

make a little ball of crispy treat as an island and set on top of the gummy

stick a length of the skinny sugar cane into the 'island' and make palm leaves with strips of some kind of flat candy like a laffy taffy.

Everybody gets their own little island.

Comment

Ummm...I went to Marukai, not Murakai!

Comment

Working...
                              X