Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is your favorite cola-type soft drink?
Coke 6 40.00%
Pepsi 3 20.00%
R.C. Cola 1 6.67%
Another brand of cola or soft drink 3 20.00%
None of the above 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:09 AM

Question Coke or Pepsi?

The other day I was at one of our town's popular pasta restaurants and decided to order a Pepsi. At the time I placed the order, I asked for Pepsi and there seemed to be no problem. When the soft drink arrived, turned out to be a Coke. Hmmm. Why didn't the waiter tell us this before the drink was served? Most restaurants will tell you that they don't have Pepsi and ask if you would settle for a Coke before you place the order. I think that should be common courtesy at all restaurants if you don't know what they are serving.

While this was not a monumental issue at the time (I settled for the Coke), it got me thinking, why don't restaurants and other eating places serve both Coke and Pepsi? It seems like each place is married to one soft drink vendor or the other, but not both. The same applies down the line of their other soft drinks... Sprite or 7-Up (lately Sierra Mist)... Barqs or Mug Root Beer... whatever... each drink is tied to the major Coke or Pepsi vendor.

Know of any restaurant where customers have a choice of either Pepsi or Coke within the same premises?

What is your preferred soft drink of choice?
Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:25 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Coke or Pepsi?

It's no secert that my soda of choice is Mountain Dew but my second choice soda would be Caffeine Free Diet Coke after that it's plain Diet Coke.

I suspect places that might have both soda vendors might be cafeterias that have self serve soda fountains or sell them by the cans.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:59 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Why one or the other? For chains, especially, but I imagine for mom and pop operations as well, you sign contracts with either distributor. Or rather, I'm sure you could sign for both, but I'm pretty sure they're constructed so that the only way you can get a reasonable price is if you promise exclusivity.

The distributors do a lot to get that exclusivity, and the evidence can usually be found on the wall. Does that diner on S. King have a "Open/Closed" hours sign on the door that alsohappens to have a Coke logo? Does that bar have a big neon clock that just happens to feature the Pepsi logo prominently? If you sign with one or the other, you'll be at least minimally rewarded with trinkets and knicknacks.

The battle is most obvious in convenience stores, like at gas stations or mini marts. They have to carry both, but obviously keep them in separate refrigerators, and you better bet that for every Coke logo in the building - on the fridge, on the cash register, on the door, on the wall - there'll be a Pepsi logo to match it.

Of course, some mom and pop operations buy their soda in bulk from Sam's Club or Marukai, and in that case may easily pick up one or the other. Heck, at a downtown office, you can find Pepsi crammed into some of the slots of an old Coke machine. So, it's not do-or-die...

You probably know that you'll never see Coke sold at a Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, or KFC, though, since Pepsi owns 'em!

Oh, and my preference is Coke, but I go for what's cheap. If that's Safeway Select sometimes? So be it.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 06:24 PM
Ali`i

Dr. Pepper
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Luna

Me, I love RC cola...
Rarely get to drink it though as I'm not hardcore enough to buy when it's not on sale.

I also love Jolt...
But I have to drive a ways to get it at the Mom and Pop store which is the only one I know that carries it.
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Kanaka

Send a message via ICQ to malia
Red face Re: Coke or Pepsi?

Most people I know choose one--and they stick with it. I changed from one to the other. I liked Coke a lot, during high school and most of college. I would drink nothing but Coke, and shunned Pepsi for being too sweet. I just really liked the "bite" of Coke...and it had nothing to do with New Kids being the spokespeople, I swear!

Then for some reason...after I got my bachelor's and was in graduate school...I suddenly couldn't stand Coke and wanted the much sweeter Pepsi. Maybe it had to do with the Burger King that used to be at U.H. which I'd frequent, and they were a Pepsi chain back then, so I just got accustomed to it. I don't know what it was. But for some reason, from grad school until a few years ago, I'd drink nothing but Pepsi. I especially loved it when the Pepsi cubes went on sale at Longs for $4.99...I'd buy like 20 cubes, and keep them stored up.

Now? Just water, thank you. Can't have the sugary stuff, and never really cared for diet sodas. And deciding between Aquafina or Dasani just doesn't have the same ring to it
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Kanaka

Thumbs up Re: Coke or Pepsi?

I dont really dig soda and drinks like that. My wife likes Pepsi and Pepsi Products.

My favorite drink is still crystal clear cool clean refreshing water.

Old May 24th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Luna

my soft drink of choice is ginger ale or sprite. I was never into coke or pepsi.
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Haumana

Exclamation Re: Coke or Pepsi?

I stick with Coke. I'm a true Coca-cola dude.
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Kia`aina

"Coke is IT"! Can't remember who the spokesperson is for Coke now...or Pepsi.
Slickvic sure posts nice pictures, it takes me time just to remember my login stuffs! (senior moments).
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:31 AM
Keiki

I gotta have my frapp or doubleshot almost daily....
am not a soda person unless it's with pizza.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:59 AM
Ali`i

Noticed that 7-11 took out Caffeine Free Diet Coke and put in Diet Coke with Lemon on the fountain. Well at least one location did so. Don't know about the other locations.
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:54 PM
Kumu

Soda is S-O-D-A
but I lyke da cracka

No preference but..... kinda lean moa towards da coke *sniff* (j/k)

As fo CRYTSAL PEPSI ....... ahhhhhh wuz fun while it lasted
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:38 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via Yahoo to blueyecicle

Dr. Pepper, then well, Dr. Pepper.
Old January 31st, 2007, 03:25 PM
Kia`aina

Coke, most definately
Old January 31st, 2007, 03:55 PM
Ali`i

holy thread ressurrection, batman!

also: of the 2: pepsi, but with alcohol, coke.

prefer: mt dew code red
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:01 PM
Ali`i

I don't drink colas anymore, but I preferred PEPSI over COCA COLA.
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:30 PM
Ali`i

I choose Coke (Classic) hands down over Pepsi.

As an adult, I'm not much of a soda fan, but sometimes an ice cold glass of Coca Cola Classic hits the spot.

As a kid in the 70's, I traveled to Japan and other asian countries alot, where restaurants commonly sold Coca Cola (before it had to be called "classic) in recycled Coca Cola glass bottles that had this slight green tint to them. I'm not sure if it was the (city's) chlorinated water or the carbonation process they used, but it was much better than the canned Coca Cola "Classic" we have today.

The limited edition small glass bottles they offer on occasion here comes close, but still not as good as that (fountain?) recycled bottle stuff.
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Kia`aina

Vanilla Coke (don't see it anywhere lately except for the Dole cannery Theatre) although I see Diet Vanilla coke in stores, just dont like it.

#1 right now is Black Cherry Vanilla Coke. Can't get enough of that.
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:13 PM
Kia`aina

It's been almost a month and a half since I last had a soda(partly because of new years res. partly to save cash), but when I do drink soda's I get Mountain Dew. Do they even sell any Mountain Dew clones in Hawaii. I know in the mainland they have Mello Yellow and Surge which are simular
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:00 PM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to achow Send a message via MSN to achow Send a message via Yahoo to achow
Thumbs up Re: Coke or Pepsi?

I like Pepsi, Mountain Dew, and Sprite
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:20 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
It's been almost a month and a half since I last had a soda(partly because of new years res. partly to save cash), but when I do drink soda's I get Mountain Dew. Do they even sell any Mountain Dew clones in Hawaii. I know in the mainland they have Mello Yellow and Surge which are simular
Safeway sells something called "Mountain Breeze" that's sort of a clone (probably doesn't have the caffeine in it, though).

Miulang
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:23 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
I choose Coke (Classic) hands down over Pepsi.

As an adult, I'm not much of a soda fan, but sometimes an ice cold glass of Coca Cola Classic hits the spot.

As a kid in the 70's, I traveled to Japan and other asian countries alot, where restaurants commonly sold Coca Cola (before it had to be called "classic) in recycled Coca Cola glass bottles that had this slight green tint to them. I'm not sure if it was the (city's) chlorinated water or the carbonation process they used, but it was much better than the canned Coca Cola "Classic" we have today.
The difference between Coke before and Coke now is that the old Coke formulation used CANE SUGAR in it for the sweetener; today's Coke uses high fructose corn syrup (because it's cheaper). I think most other countries outside the US still do use cane sugar; I know whenever I come across a bottle of the stuff that comes from Mexico, it's coveted for a long time because it really DOES taste better with sugar in it! If you ever to go LV and want something different to do besides gamble, go to the Coke Museum on the Strip and on the top floor, they have a tasting area where for $7 you get samples of about 15 different Coke products from all over the world. Some of them (especially the ones from Japan) taste really weird.

Miulang

Last edited by Miulang; January 31st, 2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:42 AM
Kia`aina

either coke or pepsi (can't remember which one) sells a "kosher" version a few times a year for the Jewish holidays. It has a blue cap and is made with cane sugar. This is sold on the mainland, but have no idea if you'd find it here.
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:29 PM
Luna

Send a message via Yahoo to kaneohegirl

me I perfer coke over pepsi.... always have... I will drink pepsi on occasion... tho I do agree that the old style version is the best... they should revamp that an sell it... even tho it might cost a bit more I bet alot of the baby boomers would pay a little extra for a old style flavor... I would... an Im a gen-Xer....