Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pork over the Pali

Hi everybody!
    I am new to Hawaii Threads...I grew up in Honolulu, but moved to the mainland to go to college, and have stayed away for 20 years!
    I am homesick now....and wanting to reconnect.
    I am remembering a story about it being bad to take pork over the Pali....does anybody remember that one? Your car is supposed to stop, and you can't go again until you eat the pork.....has it ever happened to anybody?
    I feel better about my homesickness already!
    Thanks everybody!
    Tambig

Re: pork over the Pali

Before fuel injection, car engines used carburetors. The logic behind the legend is that the gusting winds on Pali highway would "lean out" the fuel mixture in the carbs and cause the car to stall. That's it.

So what if a wild pig on the Koolau mountain traverses over the Pali area. Is it doomed? By a hunter, perhaps.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Urban legend. Dang I probably just wen bachi myself.
      Originally posted by tambig View Post
      Hi everybody!
      I am new to Hawaii Threads...I grew up in Honolulu, but moved to the mainland to go to college, and have stayed away for 20 years!
      I am homesick now....and wanting to reconnect.
      I am remembering a story about it being bad to take pork over the Pali....does anybody remember that one? Your car is supposed to stop, and you can't go again until you eat the pork.....has it ever happened to anybody?
      I feel better about my homesickness already!
      Thanks everybody!
      Tambig

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        Before fuel injection, car engines used carburetors. The logic behind the legend is that the gusting winds on Pali highway would "lean out" the fuel mixture in the carbs and cause the car to stall. That's it.

So what if a wild pig on the Koolau mountain traverses over the Pali area. Is it doomed? By a hunter, perhaps.
        A pig is still a pig, until it is dead and butchered. Then it becomes pork.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Who you gonna call? Mythbusters
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
            Who you gonna call? Mythbusters
            Would it be cool to have them do an all-Hawai`i show?

Upon further reflection - maybe not. Some things are "myths," but other topics are "sacred" - and I doubt they would respect (or even be aware of) the difference.

("Guys? Adam? Jamie? Uh, seriously... 'kapu' isn't just a word...")

Comment

Someone sent me this link. (I get the feeling the filmmaker is not local, considering that they had a few confusing moments.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Someone sent me this link. (I get the feeling the filmmaker is not local, considering that they had a few confusing moments.)
                Cool to watch though

Anyway, I thought the big one was driving over the Saddle Road on the big island with pork, due to the, ah, disagreements between Pele and Kamapua`a...?

Comment

Nah, the bus didn't stall or do anything bad when I went over the pali.

(relating to Frank Delima as he told that story to a crowd)
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Good video...but isn't the bad stuff supposed to happen after midnight?

Comment

Originally posted by tambig View Post
                      Good video...but isn't the bad stuff supposed to happen after midnight?
                      Only at Morgan's corner!!!

But yeah, the idea of no pork over the Pali still exists.

On a twist... My wife gave me trouble for taking a cool(HaHa!) piece of lava over the Pali to my Mom the other day and my brakes for the first time started making noice. Talk about Bachi!
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Good question. Has anyone actually tried it or is really just a legend? The idea of having the Mythbusters try it sounds like a plan. If anything happens, better them than us. Unless there's someone out there brave enough to try it... cause, I ain't.
                        A proud sponsor of
                        http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mililani View Post
                          Good question. Has anyone actually tried it or is really just a legend? The idea of having the Mythbusters try it sounds like a plan. If anything happens, better them than us. Unless there's someone out there brave enough to try it... cause, I ain't.
                          One story I found says that carrying pork over the Pali angers the spirits, upsetting the relationship between the fire goddess Pele and half-man, half-pig demi-god, Kamapua'a. The car trouble is Pele's way of preventing Kamapua'a (the pork in your vehicle) from entering her domain. What I don't get is that the Pali is Kamapua'a's home. Is this Pele's way of saying he's not welcome there?

I wonder if meat delivery drivers only use the Likelike and/or H3?
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

IIRC, it has something to do with a warrior (forgot his name) who, when trying to escape an army near Kuuloa side, was given the power to shape shift into a boar. He climbed that mountain and dug a hole through it near the top to escape into the ajoining valley. You can still see the hole if you look near the top of the mountain when standing in the state park across the street. It's almost perfectly round, btw. As for the scare factor of taking pork over the pali, a ghost story based on legend?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              One story I found says that carrying pork over the Pali angers the spirits, upsetting the relationship between the fire goddess Pele and half-man, half-pig demi-god, Kamapua'a. The car trouble is Pele's way of preventing Kamapua'a (the pork in your vehicle) from entering her domain. What I don't get is that the Pali is Kamapua'a's home. Is this Pele's way of saying he's not welcome there?

I wonder if meat delivery drivers only use the Likelike and/or H3?
                              LOL - or just toss the pork over the pali
                              A proud sponsor of
                              http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Working...
                              X