Kumu Kahua Theatre closing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kumu Kahua Theatre closing?

One TV + 'breaking news" this morning from ThePaper say Kumu Kahua Thatre is in financial trouble - apparently because of steep cuts in state funding (State Foundation on Culture and the Arts).

T'would be a big loss to the community if this venue for live theater were to close.

Re: Kumu Kahua Theatre closing?

Per a comment left by Margie Welch on Facebook:

It is NOT a done deal! We are fighting for our future. Please go the website: http://www.kumukahuatheatre.yolasite.com. This explains whats happening. Read our letter, donate, and help us raise funds.

Comment

Perhaps operating a theatre at a loss is some special skill that you learn in a fancy college.

But it seems to me that there are lots of theatres in Hawaii that manage to pay their own way, without any government interference.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

actually, there is no other theater like Kumu Kahua. If you've never been there to see a performance, then you wouldn't understand the need to keep it going! Those of us who have attended plays over the years and supported the theater group DO understand.

of course your comment is nothing less that I would expect from you Tim.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

But I have been to Aloha Theatre, Kahilu Theatre, Palace Theatre, Kilauea Military Camp Theatre, and the open air venue at Puu Honua o Honaunau. In fact, I attend these types of live events about twice a month because I enjoy them. Seems like they are always full, seat for seat. In fact, at Aloha Theatre it was SRO for Rocky Horror.

And please, may we all remember, that the personal attack is always intellectual.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I went to this theater once. Didn't enjoy the production. Maybe it was the production, maybe the venue, maybe both - hard to say.

My cousin and her hubby run a theater in SF - much better. I saw a production of Scrooge at a theater in a shopping mall and a HTY production of Macbeth at the old sugar mill (both on Maui) - much better. In fact, every other theater/production I've been to (and that includes dozens both on and off Island) has been much better. Sorry to say, Kumu Kahua.
            Last edited by salmoned; December 18, 2010, 07:43 PM.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

TK = There was no personal attack intended. I was simply stating my opinion of your post.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

interesting article in the newspaper today by Lee Cataluna about how people feel about Kumu Kahua Theater.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...xperience.html
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

With all due respect to some of the comparisons that are being made here, it should be noted that Kumu Kahua is devoted to presenting the work of local playwrights. So you won't find productions of Scrooge, Forever Plaid, Grease, or anything like that.

Because Kumu Kahua is dedicated to showcasing the work of local writers, not just local actors, it follows that many of the show titles will be largely unknown to the general public. Oh sure, there are playwrights here who have a following, like Lee Cataluna, Darrell Lum, and the late Lisa Matsumoto. But many of the other writers are new and have yet to be established.

With all that said, here are some things that caught my attention while I perused through KKT's website.

-Our average annual operating budget is: $250,000

-Income from shows: 43%

-Income from grants: 36% (90% of our grant monies were from the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts)
                  -Income from donations/fundraising: 19%

-Income from corporate donors: 2% (we have not yet had corporate donors this season, putting this down to 0%)
                  The problem looks fairly obvious to me. KKT has been too reliant on funding from the state, while hardly receiving anything from the corporate sector.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

it seems it might be time to lessen the grant writing expenses and increase the budget and time spent seeking private and corporate donors. if it truly is a worthy cause then it will survive. surely there would be hawaii corporations that would get behind this.......young bros, matson. pasha, heco, there are so many..how about KS ?
                    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Working...
                    X