HAIR - Manoa Valley Theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HAIR - Manoa Valley Theatre

I really enjoyed this production especially considering it's from community theater and I'd initially seen the major production at the Aquarius Theater in Hollywood in 1968.

Like any other production, "Hair" has it's strengths and weaknesses. But, I'm here to tell ya...KiwiDiva is a MAJOR strength. She opens the show with "Aquarius" and...WHATTA VOICE! Ronda left you with some great chops, KD!

It was fun to see some of the audience dressed to reflect the era. I even got a string of beads from one of the actors!

"Let the Sunshine In" was the finale and what a finale it was. Yes, KD, I was up, singin' and swayin', as was my date!

Thanks for the memories. Glad you're feeling better. MM, you're next! Enjoy! And go in costume if you can!

Comment

Congrats on your recovery, KD. Wishing you all the bestest!!!
      The Advertiser had a review in today's paper at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Great photos! Can we bring cameras in? Maybe just no flashes?
        Right on tutusue! I am sooo looking forward to this.
        I think people who review particular events/movies/shows should at least be interested in the project. That guy sounds like a dud to me. That's my review of him. HaHa!
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
          Great photos! Can we bring cameras in? Maybe just no flashes?
          Right on tutusue! I am sooo looking forward to this.
          I think people who review particular events/movies/shows should at least be interested in the project. That guy sounds like a dud to me. That's my review of him. HaHa!
          No cameras or any other recording devices.

I normally don't agree with Rozmiarek but I don't feel he was too far off the mark with his review; some yes, some no. I'll justify that by adding I don't think it was an overall negative review!

The original "Hair" was very edgy for it's time, esp. when the nude scene was added. And I agree with Rozmiarek that nudity would've been out of place at MVT, esp. since it's a smaller, more intimate theater. The Diamond Head Theater production almost 20 years ago did leave in the nude scene. IIRC, it was a very low lit scene with some sort of a semi-transparent curtain in front of the actors. But DHT is larger and less intimate than MVT. While I thoroughly enjoyed last night's performance, edginess is what I missed. I'm not sure what could've been done to recreate the feeling that permeated the '60s, tho'. No one in the cast is old enough to have experienced that era so calling on life experiences wasn't possible. Still, they did such an admirable job. As Rozmiarek mentioned, the production had spirit and that's what I enjoyed most about it. Well, that and KD's GREAT rendition of "Aquarius"!

When we arrived there was a long line waiting to get in. The majority of the audience was around my age! I guess we were all feeling a bit nostalgic! "Hair" was so a part of our culture.

Comment

Mahalo, TutuSue! U r too kind. I have a vocal warm up CD from Rhonda n I always listen to it before I sing. It's like she is still with me. I really believe she is.

As for the review, when I first read it I thought he was just being negative but I know now after reading yr post what he means. I must say, I was worried that I might be too old to be cast in this musical. The tribe are supposed to be in high school/early college. Some of our cast ARE still in high school (the youngest is only 15!) It was the music that made me want to be involved but my research has given me so much more insight into the musical and the era. The younger cast members have also had to do research because there are so many references that went straight over our heads (I had to google Kate Smith, Veronica Lake etc.) Of course, no research can replace actually being there and living through it. Being a part of this production has been an amazing ride. Thanks for the feedback.

LOL@MMs review of the reviewer!
            Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
            My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
              [...]...there are so many references that went straight over our heads (I had to google Kate Smith, Veronica Lake etc.)[...]
              Why am I suddenly feeling my age?

Comment

I revel in my age. I feel sorry for those that were born after the 50s, having no clue what they missed during the two best decades ever.

Make the best of what ya got!
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Well, hell week is OVER! My voice still isn't 100% (it will be by 3/21, MM!) A week before opening, I pulled a muscle in my calf (that's what I get for trying to keep up with my young tribe members - some of whom are less than half my age) so I'm still nursing that injury. I've had technical difficulties (mic problems) and add that to a hectic full-time job and a family and you can bet I'm glad to have made it thru!

I love singing these songs and am honored to help tell this story. I hope that shows thru in my performance. We have received some wonderful feedback from the audiences that have come to see us so far. I love the people who come dressed up, they laugh at the jokes and sing along and cry and dance with us at the end. The next two weeks are pretty much sold out but I'm hoping for another hair extension (get it?) Haha!
                  My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

I was feeling great after promoting HAIR on this morning's Wake Up 2Day with Manolo Morales. The voices at that hour of the morning are not primed for singing but we got through it. After reading today's review in the Star Bulletin, all I can say is OUCH! Luckily, I don't perform for the critics, but for the people. As a wise man just told me, keep your spirits UP and your hair DOWN! I am a proud member of the tribe and continue to believe that you should see it yourself and make up your own mind.

Comment

John Berger enjoys being "John Berger" too much to ever take his reviews/opinions seriously - at least as far as I'm concerned! I would never let HIS opinion stop me from enjoying something I liked - whether as a performer or a guest at a performance. Keep on doing what you're doing - MOST who have seen the play really like it!
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Ditto to what Anapuni808 said about Berger! Maybe he'll be 'retired' if/when the newspapers merge... please.
                        And anyway, KD, there are decades full of examples (local, national and international) of critics hating things but the public loving them.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I never bother to read anything John Berger writes but, because you mentioned it, KD, I read his "Hair" review. It confirms why I never bother to read anything John Berger writes!

The only reviews I read are those of products I'm considering buying...never any reviews involving entertainment. It's one person's taste/opinion vs another's. I guess you can say the same for products but they're more technical in nature vs artistic. Enough stink reviews and it becomes obvious the product isn't worth the money. Personally, I don't believe the same is true, to the same degree, for the arts. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, in spite of the John Bergers of the world!!!

Comment

Mahalo AP808, LN & TS!

This comment was posted on the SB Online in response to Berger's review.
                            As a veteran of several local community theatre productions and one who has read and respected Mr. Berger’s reviews for years, I am disappointed that he is so focused on the lack of nudity in MVT’s production of “Hair”. If that is what he came to see, he need not have bothered; MVT had made clear well in advance that there would be no nudity and had explained the reasons (Honolulu Advertiser article dated 2-26-2010).
                            I must at least thank Mr. Berger and Mr. Rozmiarek (Honolulu Advertiser review dated 3-6-2010) for enlightening me on the meaning of “edgy”; apparently it means “containing nudity”. I disagree, however, that nudity is “iconic” or integral to the show; it was probably added on Broadway to sell tickets. I also note that some of MVT’s outstanding “Hair” cast are 16 years old or younger; the inclusion of nudity would certainly have modified the cast mix, to the detriment of the show.
                            I saw “Hair” in the 1960’s and I saw it twice last week. The cast, crew and band are to be commended for their performances. The music is outstanding; I was moved near tears by several numbers, most notably “Where Do I Go” and the show-closing "Let the Sun Shine In", which I interpreted neither as a funeral dirge nor a celebration but rather as a plea for freedom, hope and change. Go see this show. You will enjoy it.
                            Wow! I am brand new to musical theater, this being only my 2nd production EVER! I have already been approached by two bands who want me to sing with them after seeing me in this show. I'm gonna take that to mean that I'm doing something right so I'm going to keep on keeping on! The feedback from the audience is worth more to me than anything else. I'm just soaking it all in and adding it to my list of life experiences as a definite highlight for this year!

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                              [...]
                              Wow! I am brand new to musical theater, this being only my 2nd production EVER! I have already been approached by two bands who want me to sing with them after seeing me in this show. I'm gonna take that to mean that I'm doing something right so I'm going to keep on keeping on! The feedback from the audience is worth more to me than anything else. I'm just soaking it all in and adding it to my list of life experiences as a definite highlight for this year!
                              High 5, KD. You have great vocal chops...and that's my assessment for the performance the day after you were in the ER!!! You have the right attitude. Screw the reviewers. Just continue to keep the audience on your radar and you'll do just fine. At the risk of redundancy...art is in the eye (and ear) of the beholder.

Comment

More HAIR extensions have been added! We are now running through April 4... YAY!

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...=2010100315033

Comment

Working...
                                X