This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UH Survey on HawaiiThreads

I've always thought the community of users here on HawaiiThreads was interesting and smart enough to be worthy of scientific study. Turns out I was right!

A friend of mine at the UH Department of Sociology contacted me recently to ask if I might invite members of the HawaiiThreads message board to participate in a study of what people post on the web, and how that does (or doesn't) correspond to their personality, attitude, and ultimately, how they may or may not act in the "real world." They were specifically looking at venues like message boards, and HawaiiThreads was their first choice.

Participation is completely voluntary (of course!), individual responses will be kept confidential, and you can get the results when the study is completed. I'll be sure to update everyone here, as well.

And, because everyone knows time is money, the researchers are offering a $20 Amazon.com gift certificate to participants ($25 if you complete the survey by Wednesday). Note that the credit will be given via e-mail, so while I won't be giving them any of your information, you'll have to share your e-mail address to receive it.

The only requirements to participate are that (1.) you have made 100 or more posts on HawaiiThreads, and (2.) you are 18 years of age or older.

I'm going to send an email invitation to HawaiiThreads members with 100 or more posts within the next day. If you don't want to participate, please disregard the invitation. If you do want to participate but don't receive an email, let me know!

The working title and synopsis of the study is as follows:

Online Social Behaviors and Prediction of their Implications for the Physical World
    This study is designed to examine how an individual's cultural attitudes and personality, as measured by this survey, compare to the content they write on the internet. It will therefore, compare your answers on the survey to your posts on HawaiiThreads.com, looking at the relationship between them. It uses well-known personality and culture scales from the social sciences, including Big-5, grid-group, and self-construal.
    The study is being coordinated by Sun-Ki Chai, Associate Professor, University of Hawaii Department of Sociology. You can visit his web page for more information than you'd ever want to know about his research interests!

I just took the survey myself, and it took about eight minutes. And the questions are simple and maybe even fun. (Example? Agree or disagree, "The best way to provide for future generations is to preserve the customs and practices of our past.") I hope you'll participate, and help foster a better understanding of humanity for the betterment of all mankind. Or, you know, at least get a chance to go shopping at Amazon.com.

Mahalo!

Re: UH Survey on HawaiiThreads

I responded. It took maybe 10 minutes, but the 2 minutes more than our illustrious Admin was probably due to my thinking about questions like "Am I Bashful? Shy?" and falling over laughing. I had to get back into my chair before I could continue.

It's easy, it may contribute to the general knowledge, and I'm in favor of gift certificates from Amazon made out to me.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I Pau.

1stwahine
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It took me 20 minutes! It was missing one question..."Are you over-analytical?"!

Comment

Done

I is an OTHER *struts*

Comment

Finished. Took 20 minutes. Some questions stumped me a little. Such as "Are you touchy?"

Hmmm . . . am I?

Comment

well, that was interesting!
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Done and I neva lie.

WOW long time I neva come in hea. Was you guys talking stink, wot?
                ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                  Finished. Took 20 minutes. Some questions stumped me a little. Such as "Are you touchy?"

Hmmm . . . am I?
                  OH I know ~ my first thought was TOUCH FEELY or TOUCHY PICKY? Cause I touchyfeely but not touchy picky.
                  ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by GypsyLika View Post
                    OH I know ~ my first thought was TOUCH FEELY or TOUCHY PICKY? Cause I touchyfeely but not touchy picky.
                    Same thought here.

Comment

i had trouble with that too - i'm both
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                        If you do want to participate but don't receive an email, let me know!
                        Hmm-dee-dee...oh, some guy with 8,285 blabby posts is still waitin' on his invite...hopin' Admin has a current e-mail address for him...

Comment

Interesting that it took a survey to bring me back to this site! Hope it brings results that can be used.
                          Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Hmm-dee-dee...oh, some guy with 8,285 blabby posts is still waitin' on his invite...hopin' Admin has a current e-mail address for him...
                            Me no get neither. Now me be curiouser. Maybe you gotta be kama'aina?
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

If you have 100 or more posts, you're eligible. (Well, if you haven't been banned... I guess I forgot to mention that additional criteria.) If you didn't get an email, perhaps the email address on your account here is out of date, or perhaps your email provider flagged it as junk mail. Just email me at kokua@hawaiithreads.com and I can look into it.

Thanks, all, for the great and fast response. And it's great to see some names we've not seen in months... even years!

Comment

Working...
                              X