Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michelle Wie

Troubled times for Wie on eve of U.S. Open
    Lately those moves have been scrutinized more than ever as Wie's game spirals downward on the same path as her confidence level. At the age of 17, she can't find the fairway with her driver, and the idea of competing against the men seems laughable when she can't even beat her own gender... Wie is still rich, and she's still famous, or as famous as a women's golfer can be. But the novelty of being a long-hitting 13-year-old who could hold her own with the best in the world has worn off, and she has yet to add a trophy of any sort to the family home in Hawai'i.

Comment

My personal feeling is that Wie is not working hard enough. It may be due to a rebellious phase, or because of the fact that for most of her life, the game came very easy to her. It's clear that her game has plateaued, or even regressed. I'm hoping her time at Stanford will help her out. Is she playing golf there (I'm not even sure if she is NCAA eligible)? If she is, then she will receive some good coaching, and hopefully develop a good work ethic by being surrounded by other committed athletes. If she doesn't play golf, then I hope her time helps her mature and make her realize that she is not entitled to greatness, she has to earn it.

I love atheltes like Tiger Woods and Roger Federer. Say what you want about how boring it is to see them win all the time. They win all the time because they work hard at their craft. And when they win, they don't get complacent, because they know that everyone is gunning for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
        My personal feeling is that Wie is not working hard enough.
        Yeah. The nerve of that girl, slacking off just because of a little ol' broken wrist.

It may be due to a rebellious phase, or because of the fact that for most of her life, the game came very easy to her.
        Yeah. The nerve of that girl, slacking off just because of a little ol' broken wrist.

It's clear that her game has plateaued, or even regressed.
        Yeah. The nerve of that girl, slacking off just because of a little ol' BROKEN WRIST.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post

Yeah. The nerve of that girl, slacking off just because of a little ol' BROKEN WRIST.

I understand what you are trying to say, but her problems sarted way before her "little ol' BROKEN WRIST." But I see that you refuse to see ...

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
            I understand what you are trying to say, but her problems sarted way before her "little ol' BROKEN WRIST." But I see that you refuse to see ...
            No, I see it a lot better from here in Hawai`i than you do from there in Vancouver.
            There is no question whatsoever that Michelle has a terrific work ethic. You are totally wrong in implying otherwise.
            Where the real problem has risen is her over-controlling parents, especially her father.
            There. Now you know the real truth.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Broken wrist, overbearing parents, general misdirection... I get the feeling she's sick of golf. But even if she's not, the golf world seems sick of her. The shorthand is, basically, overhyped flame-out. When Tadd said he was going pro, the immediate pushback was, "Michelle Wie proves this is a bad idea." Which is sad.

Still, I'm glad she went pro when she did. She may have burned out sticking it out in the amateur leagues, anyway. At least this way, striking while the iron is hot, she's got some bucks in the bank to pursue whatever her next passion will be.

Which will hopefully be an advanced college degree.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                No, I see it a lot better from here in Hawai`i than you do from there in Vancouver.
                There is no question whatsoever that Michelle has a terrific work ethic. You are totally wrong in implying otherwise.
                Where the real problem has risen is her over-controlling parents, especially her father.
                There. Now you know the real truth.
                Look. You may be closer to the home of Wie, but news of her exploits are well covered all over the world, especially here in Vancouver, where the Korean population is extremely high (I should know). There is no shortage of Wie updates. Now, unless you are intimatley familiar about her daily practice routines, her habits, etc ... I cannot imagine that you know that much more about her work ethic than what I think I know from what I've read. Now, I'm not saying that her over bearing dad isn't the problem. What I'm saying is that she isn't working hard enough, nor is she mature enough to understand the ramificaitons of her actions. The fact that she's lashing out because of her dad is beside the point. The LPGA does not say, "Michelle did not have a strong round today, but we'll let her make the cut because it's not her fault, after all, it's her dad's fault." Tongue in cheek, but that kind of attitude is what will keep her from realizing her potential. Look at one Jennifer Capriati. Teen sensation, made a boat load of money, so much potential, then flamed out in part because of her dad. When she had her come-back she admitted that she did not react well to the pressures (from the media and family), and she lashed out in the only way a teenager could. If Michelle Wie did have a strong work ethic, she would suceed despite her father (see Tiger Woods). I chalk up most of her behaviour to being too immature, and this is not an indictment of her character. And I am disappointed that no one is sitting her down and showing her what her actions are doing. That should be what her father is doing, but I'm surprised none of the elder LPGA veterans have tried. I'm hoping that a little college time will help her out. I know it helped me out immensely (although many will dispute that statement).

Comment

• Talk about Michelle Wie

I know, I know, I shouldn't spam like this. Just thought you might be interested in a discussion forum dedicated to our local wahine and golf phenom Michelle Wie.

http://www.WieTalk.com

See ya!

Comment

• what may anyone's comment's on michelle wie return's?

hi this is sansei and i wondered what may anyone's thought's on Michelle wie's returnIng? I dont mean to inquire on this only in my Thought's and only from my Thought's that im Glad michelle wie is only playing in the lady's tournament is that's where lady's should play and im not being incensitive only im sharing my Thought's on her.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

• Re: what may anyone's comment's on michelle wie return's?

I'm glad she's making a comeback after a very disappointing year. Hopefully she got her head on straight.
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

• Re: what may anyone's comment's on michelle wie return's?

go michelle! i don't even like golf and only watch it when either she, tadd or parker play.
                        i think she ended today at -2. she bogeyed a hole and then the station cut it off to broadcast something else.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Well, it happened again. Michelle having a respectable tournament ruined by a whopper round. This time it was a 3rd round 78, leading to a dead-last finish among all the players making the cut.

And yet again, another local teen steals the spotlight from Michelle on her home turf. Last year, it was Tadd Fujikawa at the Sony Open. At this year's Field Open, 18 year old Ayaka Kaneko finished in a tie for 44th, with a 3 under score.

Oh yes. One more thing. Paula Creamer is the champion.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I'm guessing everyone will be jumping on the Kaneko bandwagon ... until she falters.

Congrats goes to Paula. Sorry, can't say the last name without chuckling.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

hi this is sansei and i dont mind Michelle wie as a lady's golfer only she couldnt match up to Kim Kim or tadd fujikawa and Ayaka kaneko or Paula creamer or Natalie Gulbis or Morgan pressell and karrie webb with Annoucer and previous Golfer so That's my Thought's on this.

well thank's for your time

Comment

There was a story about Michelle Wie going out with one of the Lopez twins of the Stanford basketball team on Yahoo sports. Stanford lost in the NCAA basketball tournament today. Is she a curse or a Cooler of bad luck? He's 7 foot tall. If they have kids, They Might be Giants!

Comment

Working...
                                X