X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Dash, Ako, Sharie Shima, etc. are amongst the layoffs according to Erika:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...V_layoffs.html

A kneejerk reaction to this is what about KGMB on air staffers being let go as well. Time will tell on all these fronts soon I'm sure.

Aj
    Last edited by Kalihiboy; September 3, 2009, 01:49 AM.

Comment

The same link without the annoying roll down ads.

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...ml?mobile=true
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I hope those laid-off WILL land their feet at KITV and/or KHON. Keep some of those on-air! As for Howard, maybe he could go back to KITV and anchor the 10pm news with Paula Akana... I'm just saying.
        Last edited by bcr1652; September 3, 2009, 08:00 AM.

Comment

According to that article, so far, it's:

Diane Ako
          Zahid Arab
          Howard Dashefsky
          Leland Kim
          Sharie Shima
          Kristine Uyeno

I'm really sorry to see Diane and Dash go. I liked their morning show more than any of the others. I've always found Zahid Arab oddly entertaining too. Oh well.

Does anyone have a list on the KGMB side?

Comment

Originally posted by scsdogg View Post
            Lots of pink slips today @ KHNL...reporters & photogs.
            Oh hey! You're here too!

This was like the first Web site I went to when I first moved to Hawaii. haha
            ---
            Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Is John Fink living up to his name?
              Think About It.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                According to that article, so far, it's:

Diane Ako
                Zahid Arab
                Howard Dashefsky
                Leland Kim
                Sharie Shima
                Kristine Uyeno

I'm really sorry to see Diane and Dash go. I liked their morning show more than any of the others. I've always found Zahid Arab oddly entertaining too. Oh well.

Does anyone have a list on the KGMB side?
                Add to KHNL's list: Paul Drewes

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                  Is John Fink living up to his name?
                  Think About It.
                  I wonder if Blangiardi will have to do editorial commentaries once the merger is complete, isn't that a requirement of all stations under Raycom ownership?

Aj

Comment

I just find it so classic, that TV stations News Departments will do everything they can to get into a company's business to uncover wrong doings, possible corruptions, etc. Even taking company's to court to "open up the books". However, when it is something within the TV industry. Everything goes into full lockdown, no one from management will speak and it is all a guessing game.

My sources say:
                    KHNL Morning show Talent and production staff - Gone.
                    KHNL Weather Talent - Gone.
                    Plus other Talent listed in previous posts
                    Feeling at KHNL; KGMB is taking over.

DXer

Comment

Most of the comments by anonymous posters in both papers in response to the merger and latest layoffs have been nasty and mean-spirited. I don't know who modern millie is, but here's an example BELOW:

Aj

modern millie
                      Honolulu, HI
                      Reply »
                      |Report Abuse |Judge it! |#138 7 hrs ago
                      Judged:
                      There was a time that the Star Bulletin and the Advertiser "shared services" with Gannett. The editorial staffs were separate, but the printing and advertising were combined. The KGMB/KHNL situation looks more like a "takeover" than a merger of shared services. With Rick Blangiardi protecting his people, only John Fink's KHNL/KFVE staff is being let go. No matter that Blangiardi ran his station into near bankruptcy, the one with the louder crying gets fed first. How sad.

Comment

Mixed reaction to this at PBN poll...

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...?poll_id=10601

Honolulu Advertiser article on Dashefsky Ako and Shima layoffs.

http://tinyurl.com/lmwph6
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

What I'm wondering is whether this kicks off a game of musical chairs at the remaining two stations with all this talent becoming "available" or whether there's an exodus to the Mainland by the newly departed.
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                            What I'm wondering is whether this kicks off a game of musical chairs at the remaining two stations with all this talent becoming "available" or whether there's an exodus to the Mainland by the newly departed.
                            Both will likely happen.

I think Diane will get picked up by one of the other stations.

Dash? Hard to say. He could land another job here.... but maybe not as a news anchor.

OTOH, it could be tough going for Sharie. I do hope that she lands on her feet, somewhere.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                              Hmmm if those laid off want to work at other TV stations in this market (i.e. KITV or KHON), on-air positions are possible, but sorta limited... unless they entirely revamp their anchor line-up and/or add any more newscasts. But I'm not quite sure if these stations have the efficient resources to hire more people with positions that may be possible, on-air at least.

Examples:
                              @ KITV
                              -10pm co-anchor with Paula Akana
                              -Addition of an anchor/reporter on the morning news
                              -Weekend co-anchor with Jill Kuramoto
                              -Field/general assignment reporter / feature reporter

@ KHON
                              -5pm co-anchor with Ron Mizutani
                              -Addition of an anchor/reporter on the morning news
                              -Weekend co-anchor with Marisa Yamane
                              -Weekend weather anchor
                              -Field/general assignment reporter / feature reporter
                              Last edited by bcr1652; September 4, 2009, 11:50 AM.

Comment

KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "stolen services agreement"

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                                There was a time that the Star Bulletin and the Advertiser "shared services" with Gannett. The editorial staffs were separate, but the printing and advertising were combined. The KGMB/KHNL situation looks more like a "takeover" than a merger of shared services. With Rick Blangiardi protecting his people, only John Fink's KHNL/KFVE staff is being let go. No matter that Blangiardi ran his station into near bankruptcy, the one with the louder crying gets fed first. How sad.
                                The more things change, the more they stay the same.
                                The Advertiser eliminated the Star-Bulletin (for a while, anyway), now power is being consolidated within the TV stations.

Power. Remember that? Power corrupts?
                                "Gee, now that we have the power, let's get rid of the popular newscasters and promote the lesser-known... and save on salaries!"

WOW! Now we get to vote with our channel-selectors!

KHON - Here we come!
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X