Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big booms!

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Around 9pm, I said, three hours ago? Well, it's 9:14 and it just started pouring like heck! Fireworks completely stopped. Yeah, baby! Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!
    Didn't rain in my area at all, and fireworks went non-stop into the wee hours. I kinda prefer that everyone blows it all up, otherwise they'll be popping them throughout the year.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    And don't forget the tons and tons of little red firework papers littering almost every street the next day, many of which just get washed into the gutters and end up in the ocean.
    My neighbors pop on the street (never in their own yard) and they don't clean up after. I can't understand that.

Comment

Rain stopped around 10pm, and so did the breeze. The noise returned almost instantly. By 11pm it was so smoky that you could barely see 100 yards.
      Winds are dead calm right now, and a blanket of smoky haze lies across everything in sight.
      Hopefully the fireworks will taper off over the next couple of days and we'll be relatively safe until July 4. Or maybe the legislature will finally do something intelligent about all this.
      Yeah, right.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I have to say that this year seemed louder than in years past, a lot more activity than normal. For a moment, I thought the fireworks were being mixed in with thunder and lightning from the brief, passing storm. Not so. But the blast reflections in the sky were outshining the normal aerial fireworks.

Comment

In town the last two years has been quiet on all banger holidays.
          Last night was a return to the reasons why enuf already.
          There's just no point in it.

Somebody's got loads of stuff in, big stuff.
          And it seems HPD always disappears on the bad nights... I saw one cop the whole night and he was heading back to the station.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I live in upper Makiki - normally a pretty noisy place on New Year's Eve. Last nite was busy but it was not excessive. At midnite, I was sitting outside and watching the explosions reflect off the sky. There were a few fireworks around where I live but about 12:30, everyone was through and it was quiet. I was able to fall asleep pretty early. All in all, it was not a bad nite & no smoke lingered around.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I haven't had the courage to look outside to see if the island, as I remember it, is still there! A big boom woke me up at 1:45a and they started again at 7a. Next year let's give an area to those who want to set off these things. Expose them all to ongoing blasts. How about inside Diamond Head where the sound will ricochet back at 'em? Let 'em all blow out their ear drums.

Can you imagine the flack from the neighborhood boards surrounding Diamond Head?! Anyway, just using DH as an example of an 'amphitheater' type location that could give the boomers a concentrated taste of their own medicine!

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                I live in upper Makiki - normally a pretty noisy place on New Year's Eve. Last nite was busy but it was not excessive. At midnite, I was sitting outside and watching the explosions reflect off the sky. There were a few fireworks around where I live but about 12:30, everyone was through and it was quiet. I was able to fall asleep pretty early. All in all, it was not a bad nite & no smoke lingered around.
                I'm in lower Makiki and thot the opposite. It seemed excessive and the smoke was heavy til 2:30. Fortunately the Kona's kept it nice as the heavy smoke rarely reached my nose, but it was sure trying.

It was indeed cool watching the reflections off the cloud canopy.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I'm sorry you guys had to go through all that last night! We had some booms last night, but not nearly as many as in years past. The HOA set a rule of not being able to set anything off in the street or on sidewalks- has to be ON your property, so pretty much in the driveway. No one wants to risk that here!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Ron - I feel your pain I used to live on Anapuni St, just above Wilder. It got really crazy with the fireworks & smoke. Now, up here at the "top of the hill" so to speak - I can see the flashes, see the smoke, & hear the noise but it's not right on top of me like before.
                    Last edited by anapuni808; January 1, 2010, 11:51 AM.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

What's the difference between a boom and a bangin' noise?

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                        I'm sorry you guys had to go through all that last night! We had some booms last night, but not nearly as many as in years past. The HOA set a rule of not being able to set anything off in the street or on sidewalks- has to be ON your property, so pretty much in the driveway. No one wants to risk that here!
                        We have rules at both condo buildings of no fireworks on premises. I don't know how my building fared in town but in Makaha the rule was completely ignored...just not enough staff to keep it under control. All of the hallways in buildings A & B are exterior with a long hallway running the length of the building on every floor. For every 2 units there is another, short hallway that Ts off the longer one. When I arrived late yesterday and was walking along the long hall, someone set off a "bomb" in one of the short halls above me. Everyone in the laundry shack below me ducked. I ducked. The security guard, at that point about 10 feet in front of me, just smiled. Which brings me to a topic to bring up at the next board of directors meeting!

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          About 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            A bangin' noise is what happens during the time your upstairs neighbor sex-driven couple can't seem to get into a rhythm.

A boom is just before they smoke a cigarette!
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by integlspwr View Post
                              you guys are funny. its also HPD who is buying these illegal fireworks and setting them off while they are off duty with other hpd officers cruising at their house drinking beers.
                              So this is news? If you call in to report anyone they are 'protecting,' they will cruise the house to warn them to stash the stuff.
                              They do this with drug houses, too. We have ice on the streets thanks to a minority contingent of bad cops in HPD.

At least I hope it's a minority contingent.

We have local HPD cops in the Chicago-style "Protection rackets." Guess Honolulu is coming up in the world.
                              A friend of mine who was on the force told me, "It's not enough to know who they are and that they do it, we gotta prove it, too. We don't have the manpower to baby-sit every cop on the force."

Where's 'The Untouchables' when we need them.

I hear it is pretty rampant.

(BTW - You didn't hear this from me.)
                              Last edited by Kaonohi; January 1, 2010, 09:36 PM.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X