The Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Happening

Saw The Happening at the Ward Theater this afternoon with Albert.

The movie is about a high school science teacher and his wife, along with his co-worker who happens to be a math teacher with a young daughter trying to escape an event that causes people affected by the event to commit suicide.

Other than a couple of minor plotholes this movie was entertaining.

Re: The Happening

Originally posted by helen View Post
    Other than a couple of minor plotholes this movie was entertaining.
    That's the nicest thing I've read anyone say about this film. In fact, I've just spent much of my lazy afternoon reading the many vicious reviews of "The Happening." (I like TIME's take.) I think those bad reviews are ultimately the most entertaining part of the movie, and I'm hoping "The Happening" finally convinces M. Night Shyamalan fans that he had, maybe, one or two good movies in him, and is now completely and finally done.
    Last edited by pzarquon; June 14, 2008, 07:47 PM. Reason: Adding a link to TIME review.

Comment

The bad reviews over the years have kept me away from this guy's movies when they first come out. Don't want to be blowing big bucks on a bomb movie that I may not enjoy. I haven't seen most of his movies after they went to the dollar theater or even on home video yet. Bad reviews again. The only 2 I can actually say I saw and liked are "The Sixth Sense" and "Signs".

After reading a couple of bad reviews on "The Happening" this past weekend, I think I will save my money for something else.... "Wall E" maybe.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

So has anyone actually seen this yet? As amusing as the bad reviews have been, I am curious to hear any first-hand reactions.

Christopher Orr at The New Republic has a very unusual review posted for "The Happening." Basically, he wants you to enjoy making fun of the movie without having to see it. (Sounds right up my alley!) He does this by, basically, giving away every spoiler there is. So, yeah, spoiler alert!

Comment

Thought "Sixth Sense", "Unbreakable" and "The Village" were good. "Signs" was okay.

I'll give this movie a try, I want directors and producers from my generation to succeed in Hollywood so I don't wish for failure on his part. At the very least give him credit for doing something other than recycled tv shows and comic books. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But you get the picture.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            Christopher Orr at The New Republic has a very unusual review posted for "The Happening."
            Thanks for that one, pz. I didn't plan to see the movie anyway, but I was curious about the plot-line. Now, I know what I wanted to know.

Comment

Saw The Happening a few weeks ago....it didnt really make sense in some parts of the movie....and some scenes were kinda stupid...see it and judge for yourself. HOWEVER, in my other posts, I just seen Children of Shuang Hui...sorry if typo error, now THIS..is a good movie! Go see it and judge for yourself....at the end of the happening, I just shook my head in disbeleif of spending $$$ to see it.....but, after cking out Children at Kahala plex...I was SATISFIED!

Comment

What's wrong with me that I seem to enjoy everything he's done? I guess I just "get" him. IMO the films are always original and oddly fascinating. I'll see this one when the dvd releases. I can't get to the theatre these days unless it's some kidflick. Mommy and Daddy time is too precious to waste on passive entertainment.
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I liked it. The true nature of a horror film is to scare you without all the CGI effects and this movie did. When they say don't mess with Mother Nature they mean it.
                  sinjin
                  What's wrong with me that I seem to enjoy everything he's done? I guess I just "get" him. IMO the films are always original and oddly fascinating. I'll see this one when the dvd releases. I can't get to the theatre these days unless it's some kidflick. Mommy and Daddy time is too precious to waste on passive entertainment.
                  I agree. Even Lady in the Water was a good film. It seems to me everybody is looking for the "twist" or "shock" in M. Night's films and that's a shame. This movie puts me in mind of Signs, not seeing the aliens was a scary thing. I bet this scares you more than the X-Files.
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Working...
                  X