Pro Bowl Leaving Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pro Bowl Leaving Hawaii

I noticed all the empty seats in the "crowd shots" throughout the game. I also loved seeing all the "happy shots" of folks outside tailgating. Nero fiddles while Rome burns.

Folks, that is the reason the Pro Bowl is leaving. Hands down.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Even tho I failed to watch, the morning rags seem to portray a game that was typically slow to build into a show, but got exciting before halftime and ended up being quite fun for the crowd and the players.
      Try and repeat that when it's in Miami without half the showcase players that helped make this year another success, or the many others who just won't show.
      I havn't heard word one about how it's good to be moving this game to somewhere else and playing prior to the SuperBowl.

It's too bad that some choose to stay out of their stadium seats and make the pix the nation sees look funky. Why not give the tickets to someone who would enjoy being at the game, instead of holding them and yukking it up and chugging down beer and dogs outside? We can do that any day & night of the year.
      Maybe stadium officials should cut it off just before game time. But then, who wants to sit in front of someone who's drunk, puking, and trying to yell?
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

You got it Ron. Cut off the tailgating with 20 minutes to go. Watch the stadium fill up immediately. Maybe a "No Loitering" in the parking lot rule. Be easier if you had a No BBQ, No Chairs, type of policy.

Too late now. I doubt the game will ever come back. NFL says the reason is the condition of the stadium. That may be partly true. But def NOT the whole story.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          You got it Ron. Cut off the tailgating with 20 minutes to go. Watch the stadium fill up immediately. Maybe a "No Loitering" in the parking lot rule. Be easier if you had a No BBQ, No Chairs, type of policy.
          Never figured you for a Duke Aiona, tim. Suffice to say, a similar type of policy to the one you espouse has already been shot down in a very public manner. And it was only about alcohol. Imagine the outrage if you extend it to every aspect of the pupu party!

The tailgating time-limit rule, I think would be easier to swallow, but make it 10 minutes. Then you can defend it beyond protest, since after a six-pack and some ribs, it clearly takes that long just to get to your seat (particularly if you’re sitting all the way up in the yellow section ).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            Too late now. I doubt the game will ever come back. NFL says the reason is the condition of the stadium. That may be partly true. But def NOT the whole story.
            The NFL has long wanted to do something with the dead week prior to the SuperBowl. The stadium is still (just barely) OK, and the NFL are in the financial hurt now too, about to lay off over 100 employees, but there is deffinitely more to the whole story than is being told.
            Someone in the hierarchy chain is super hot for the change, Hawaii be damned.
            But if they are so into retaining the switch from Hawaii permanently, or on more than an alternating years system, then it needs to be said up front, now.

Comment

Let them go, I say. I'm sick and tired of the state, via DBEDT, going to the NFL "hat-in-hand" and paying the ever-rising "fee" to have the Pro Bowl held in Honolulu. The Pro Bowl was a dying game when the NFL brought it here and we were the ones who resuscitated it over the past three decades. And this is the thanks we get?

Comment

The NFL wants 4 mil to bring the game back to Honolulu. How much for the next year/time? Kinda sounds like extortion.
                Yeah, let them go, and find out how far the spectacle sinks being played elsewhere. When they come groveling back, charge them to play here, and after the SuperBowl. I want the bowl stars in the game!

Comment

I don't think the empty seats are because a lot of people are still outside tailgating. I sold programs in the parking lot with a fundraising group and saw most of the tailgate parties pack up and go inside when the game started.

But inside the stadium, there were a LOT of people milling around the concourses during the game instead of staying in their seats watching the game. It's true that the game is as much of a party event as a rooting spectator sport. The level of competition just isn't compelling enough to keep the butts in the seats the whole time. But the tourists still come in large numbers and spend a lot of money while they are here. I hope the game comes back soon.

Comment

The Oscars has this figured out.

Their are seat holders, like ushers in a way, who make the place look full all the time. When Cruise or Roberts needs to she-she, there is someone to fill the seat temporarily.

A friend of mine actually used to do this in Hollywood, dressed down in black tie.

He said it was a blast. Sat near LOTS of famous folks.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Looks like negotiation tactics going on here.

"The offer calls for the state to pay the NFL about $4 million a game. Under the current contract, the NFL receives a $4 million annual subsidy from HTA."

"'We also discussed bringing pre-season games to Hawai'i as well as other possibilities.'"

This would translate to the state paying more than the old $4 mil annually. I say counteroffer with $2 million a game.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        This would translate to the state paying more than the old $4 mil annually.
                        What was the name of the coach who left because he wanted to be paid more by the state?

Comment

Working...
                        X