Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sign here if you repaired something today

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    This wasn't my day. Bumped into the kitchen table, knocking over my fruit punch, which spilled over my digital camera, which HAPPENED to be right there. Yup, after that spill, it was dead. Wouldn't power up.

With the amount fruit punch that spilled over it, I really thought this was a done deal, but what the heck, might as well try fix it.

Let me say, opening a compact digital camera up is not far from performing brain surgery. You have to be very careful with the micro-sized circuit boards, ribbon cables and lens assembly.

Carefully removed each screw (which almost each one were a different length and diameter ) and cracked open the case. I thought I'd break the tabs, but it came off without incident. Cleaned whatever fruit punch had leaked inside, which there was some on several circuit boards, probably causing a short.

Cleaned it up, put it back together and voila.. it works! Yay!

Kudos once again to Canon for making a camera that not only takes great photos, but is also somewhat self-serviceable. The technology in these digital cameras is amazing.

Wow. Nice Save!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I repaired my car's dent on her bumper. I just used compressed air and a hair dryer. I thought it'd pop right back up, but when it didn't, I just pushed it from underneath.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Did my front brakes today.

Comment

Everyday. Today I fix imperfections in the walls I just finished and painted yesterday. Then get ready for my bowhunt.

Comment

I think I've finally fixed my Yellowbook ad bill. D em bauggas was overcharging me and adding late charges when I'm one month ahead! I like slap dem awready- took 3 months to fix.
            So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

I fixed my VCR this morning. Had to get another one because the first one broke.
              Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

I fixed dinner.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
                Aloha,
                Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana View Post
                  I fixed dinner.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
                  Admit - you da one who wen buss 'em first, yeah?
                  (Apologies for lousy attempt at pidgin...)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Admit - you da one who wen buss 'em first, yeah?
                    (Apologies for lousy attempt at pidgin...)
                    OK, yeah... I wen bussum first. So den had foa fixum.

Today I wen fix one glitch in my appraisal softwea proggy. How'd dat foa reclaim da territory and da thread?
                    Aloha,
                    Mokihana

Comment

I repaired my relationship with my wife today. Small kine stupid fight last night. So I took off today to have lunch with her and watch the Thunderbirds.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                        I repaired my relationship with my wife today. Small kine stupid fight last night. So I took off today to have lunch with her and watch the Thunderbirds.
                        So you took the day off doing what YOU want to do. Not her. If she chose the venue, it'd be the movies or a day at the shopping mall. Not watching "manly" Thunderbird Jets. Shame on you. Shame, shame, shame. You watch... she'll dig that up on the next fight.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

So you took the day off doing what YOU want to do. Not her. If she chose the venue, it'd be the movies or a day at the shopping mall. Not watching "manly" Thunderbird Jets. Shame on you. Shame, shame, shame. You watch... she'll dig that up on the next fight.
                          Heeyy, main thing he treated her to lunch.

Comment

She chose lunch and the place. It was nice of her to pic Ala Mo so that I can tag along while she shopped for a little bit. The Thunderbirds practice show she didn't really care for but she knew I wanted to go see it so we went. It was all good.

Originally posted by ploal5333 View Post
                            Heeyy, main thing he treated her to lunch.
                            Tanks!

Comment

The dryer portion of my aging stack washer/dryer has been making this horrible squeaking sound lately and I figured it was probably the drive belt beginning to fail (becoming overstretched). The dryer finally stopped spinning.

So I bought a replacement belt from Appliance Parts Hawaii ($24) and proceeded to replace the belt last night.

The hardest part was accessing the back panel of the unit while trying to work within the tight quarters the stack washer fits in my bathroom. Major pain in the okole!

I couldn't find installation instructions for the exact same washer/dryer model as mine online, so resorted to other stack washer/dryer instructions as a basic reference. I was afraid I'd run the belt's serpentine track around the motor and tension pulley the wrong way, but after inspecting the mechanism closely, figured it out. Quite simple design these dryers have.

In order to get the drive belt around the main drive pulley on the motors output shaft, you have to remove the motor mount bolts so you can pull the motor and blower fan out just enough so that it's out of the housing in order to slip the belt around the end.

The next challenge was stretching the belt to fit around the large dryer drum as it's rested on the roller guides within the dryer unit. Then you have to get the belt aligned properly on the drum while making sure there aren't any twists in the belt. Easier said than done, but after about 15 minutes of working it around the drum and tension pulley, the belt finally was in place.

Put it all back to together, plugged the stack washer/dryer back in and voila, tested everything, and it worked! My diagnosis was correct. Repair was a success! Did two loads of laundry last night after fixing it and it works like a charm.

Not bad for just $24 in parts (the belt), and about 1 hour of blood, sweat and tears.
                              Last edited by Pomai; August 26, 2009, 11:11 AM.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm looking at a shattered halogen light bulb cover that fell to the floor missing my head by a coupla inches. Not gonna attempt to glue it back together. I'm finding bits of glass all over the place! *sigh* Sooo...I'm not signing this thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X