The Andy Bumatai Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Andy Bumatai Show

ER, good to see you stick up for your product....but, if it is truly about content, then ditch the green screen. As other production people have said, it just doesn't look good. I think all who are commenting/reading here love Andy and want success for him because he's good.

As for production, my rule has usually been, don't do something just because you can. do it because you can do it right - and better than the other guy.
    Always check and double check

Comment

Originally posted by Video Guy View Post
      ER, good to see you stick up for your product....but, if it is truly about content, then ditch the green screen. As other production people have said, it just doesn't look good. I think all who are commenting/reading here love Andy and want success for him because he's good.

As for production, my rule has usually been, don't do something just because you can. do it because you can do it right - and better than the other guy.
      The content I mention is in reference to the discussion...nothing really more than that as the "topic" is the star.

Certainly, the elite are here and tuning in with a critical eye...that the general public will never have a clue. It's been a quantum leap from day one, and after 15 shows...so much better, although not perfect.

It's only been 3 weeks...let it grow on you.

ER
      http://www.superman808.com. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Add me to the Non-Technical-Viewer-Who-Dislikes-the-Green-Screen-But-Wants-Andy-and-the-Show-to-Succeed group. The green screen graphics is so distracting that I can't focus on the content -- no matter who the guest is. I compare Andy's show to Leahey & Leahey on KHET. Their's is a simple, cheesy set, but it works. Sort of Checkers & Pogo-ish, but it doesn't distract from their focus. Their focus too is on the topic and the guest. Not "what's his head going to look like on the next shot?". I honestly believe that if you ditch the green screen, the reaction from bozos like me will turn more favorable. Eliminate the elephant in the room then we can seriously start to discuss subject matter and guests.

Comment

"buelller555: I honestly believe that if you ditch the green screen, the reaction from bozos like me will turn more favorable."

And bozos like me.

"buelller555: I compare Andy's show to Leahey & Leahey on KHET. Their's is a simple, cheesy set, but it works."

A good example of how cheap doesn't have to look bad.

"Video Guy: I think all who are commenting/reading here love Andy and want success for him because he's good."

Exactamundo!

Comment

Originally posted by Golfsnorkel View Post

A good example of how cheap doesn't have to look bad.
            The cheap production could give the show a kind of a cult feeling such as the movie Plan 9 from Outer Space, or be spoofed on MadTV like Dolemite.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              The cheap production could give the show a kind of a cult feeling such as the movie Plan 9 from Outer Space, or be spoofed on MadTV like Dolemite.
              Don't forget "Mystery Science Theatre 3000"!

Comment

I tried to watch it again last night and like every other time lasted about 5 minutes.
                I admit restaurants and eating in general have little appeal to me for a discussion topic.

The trouble is, if you're going to make it look bad, make it really, really bad. Right now it's in that zone where it's not bad enough to make it as "bad" and not good enough to make it as "good".
                If I give a CD of my original music to a record company (do they still exist?) and it's terribly recorded with tons of hiss and so on, it could be the best song ever written, and they won't hear it or even listen to it.
                So presentation matters incredibly, like when you apply for a job.

My uneducated, ignorant, not-in-the-industry opinion: toss the green screen, admit it's a mistake.
                I think it would be better to stop doing the show until it can be done differently, OR go for making it look incredibly terrible.
                Why tv? - do it on the net.
                To me it seems like television as we knew it is pau.

Sorry but I like Andy and it pains me seeing him doing this.

Comment

One more thing (since I got the mic):
                  I think of myself as a pretty open minded person. I'm for gay marriage, no drug laws and was raised where my Dad would whack us in a second if we ever said anything negative about another race. There's not one swear word that I haven't used a lot.
                  But: Andy had a joke about a blind date where someone committed suicide and I didn't like the judgement that said "ya, that's a cool thing to say on the show".
                  Turned me off big time. If you went to that person's family my guess is that you wouldn't think that there's much about suicide that's funny.
                  I know, no sense of humor...
                  There's an old saying: "It's only funny if everyone laughs."
                  Last edited by Golfsnorkel; January 27, 2009, 07:11 AM. Reason: ka'nt spel

Comment

IIRC, there were two jokes about people's deaths in last night's opening. I felt very uncomfortable about those.

Comment

Originally posted by Golfsnorkel View Post
                      One more thing (since I got the mic):
                      I think of myself as a pretty open minded person. I'm for gay marriage, no drug laws and was raised where my Dad would whack us in a second if we ever said anything negative about another race. There's not one swear word that I haven't used a lot.
                      But: Andy had a joke about a blind date where someone committed suicide and I didn't like the judgement that said "ya, that's a cool thing to say on the show".
                      Turned me off big time. If you went to that person's family my guess is that you wouldn't think that there's much about suicide that's funny.
                      I know, no sense of humor...
                      There's an old saying: "It's only funny if everyone laughs."
                      Okay, I don't watch this show, but being a liberal curser doesn't make you an 'open-minded' person. Liberals (and cursers) can be as closed-minded as conservatives - the qualities (open/closed-minded, curser/non-curser, liberal/consevative) are all unrelated. Open-minded means you are willing and able to consider (or at least tolerate) views, opinions and practices vastly different from your own. Complaining about being turned-off by the subject matter of someone's joke disproves your claim to open-mindedness. The failure of a subset of the audience to find humor in any particular joke does not qualify it for censorship.
                      Last edited by salmoned; January 27, 2009, 12:33 PM.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

(sorry kind of a heavy post)

I guess what I meant about being a liberal person and the swearing bit was that I am rarely offended by things.
                        Very little humor offends me. Humor that would offend lots and lots of people doesn't rattle me, but I have a line. You don't joke about certain things, like child abuse, pet abuse, suicide, rape... they're just not funny topics.
                        So in that sense, no I'm not totally open minded. I should have said easily offended.
                        A friend of mine found his mother after she committed suicide, and also I've had a few suicide attempts involving my friends and family, so I'm probably more sensitive than most people to this, but it's not that uncommon so if I feel this way I'll bet there's others.
                        I'll tell you a true story.
                        Back in high school in the mainland I used to go to music camp every summer for 2 weeks. There was a mentally challenged clarinet player there. He talked and walked and had the mannerisms of someone that you knew wasn't right. So the students made fun of him. One guy could do his voice pretty good, but there was this other guy who actually "became" him in impersonations to the point that everyone was in awe, they even asked that guy to do the impersonation for the teachers, and the teachers were in awe.
                        That guy was me.
                        So one night at music camp I'm doing my stunning impersonation and the guy, the mentally changed clarinet player, comes into the hall and says, and man I'll never forget this: "It's not nice to make fun of people".
                        Talk about shame.
                        One of the worst days of my life. Mr. Big Shot.
                        No one said a word, we went back to our rooms. They say you learn more from your mistakes.
                        So the moral of this sad tale is "be sensitive".
                        And if you have a gift, a special power, use it to bring people together.
                        Sorry to hi-jack the thread...
                        oh ya! the green screen...
                        man I hate that#&%*!!! green screen!

Comment

You have a line. Fair enough. Just don't draw it in a manner which censors others from crossing it. It's YOUR line, not mine nor anyone else's. If you find a joke not funny, that's fine. Just don't try to tell me it's not funny, I can decide for myself. Rather, tell me you don't find it funny, or you are offended by it. Then, I can tell you, "Hey, it's just a joke. You may not enjoy it, but at least you can ignore it or use it to learn something about either the person who told it or yourself, good or bad."

In case you haven't noticed, it's possible to take offense from any joke. As a counter to your, "It's not nice to make fun of people," I'd say "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" or "Laughter is the best medicine."

I could easily take offense at your saying "There was a mentally challenged clarinet player there. He talked and walked and had the mannerisms of someone that you knew wasn't right." 'Mentally challenged'? Aren't we all? 'Someone that you knew wasn't right'? 'Not right' is not synonymous with different. The clarinet player may have behaved differently from the others, but it is YOU describing it as 'not right'. Your entire position seems rife with offended/offensive attitudes and verbiage.

Andy Bumatai, do your thing! [I don't watch your TV show, but I have laughed at your 'off-color' stand-up routines.]
                          Last edited by salmoned; January 28, 2009, 12:28 PM.
                          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Andy announced tonight that his show will air (is that the right word?) strictly on the internet beginning March, iirc. No more TV.

ER...tonight's topic (Act 221) turned out great. I agree with Andy that it would've been nice to have 1 guest who was against 221 but that would've had to be our guv! I really learned a lot. Fortunately I don't need to remember any of it!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              ER...tonight's topic (Act 221) turned out great. I agree with Andy that it would've been nice to have 1 guest who was against 221 but that would've had to be our guv! I really learned a lot. Fortunately I don't need to remember any of it!
                              Crap, missed it. Anyone know when it's showing up on the website or YouTube? The latest YouTube date on the website is 23 Jan...
                              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                Andy announced tonight that his show will air (is that the right word?) strictly on the internet beginning March, iirc. No more TV.

@tutusue...yep...no more TV...Our Tri-caster streams video...and the TV medium is $$$. We can do more and reach a wider audience. Not all the details are in but will post them here as I get them.

I could get anyone higher up in the food chain at the state

BTW...thanks for the idea. I thought you were going to come down...had toothpaste on me

@nords...as soon as Andy uploads the video, I'll link it to the website.

ER
                                http://www.superman808.com. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Working...
                                X