• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Warning for Feb. 27, 2010

Thinking of you guys - stay safe!

Comment

TV news says they're gonna shut off the water on Maui so fill up your containers if you're on Maui!

Comment

looking up Maunakea St in chinatown, its virtually deserted.
        n'importe

Comment

HawaiiNewsNow (KGMB/KHNL/KFVE) is showing a shot of Coconut Island in Hilo Bay and the water level around that island is going down

Comment

Best coverage is on KGMB/KHNL/KFVE, with their live camera looking at Hilo Bay. You can see the water going out of the bay and more of the rocks and beach being exposed. Incredible, seeing the changes minute to minute. Also cameras showing changes Kona side. Everything seems to be happening 30 to 45 minutes later than first predicted, so assuming that's correct we have another hour or so here on Oahu.

EDIT: I was writing this as Helen posted and didn't see that one, posted a minute before mine. Amazing photos, eh, Helen?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

WOW! Look at that surge coming inside Hilo's Coconut Island, to the right of the bridge! And look how the water has risen on that beach to the left of the bridge just in the past minute!!! Maybe a 2' rise in one minute!

Comment

And now the water level around Coconut Island in Hilo Bay has gone up.

Comment

And now the water is rushing back OUT!!!
                  You mainland folks can watch it on KGMB.com .

Comment

It's wild watching the white water effect as it all gets sucked out and filled in. The more the white water, the stronger and faster it's moving.

Comment

My sister & her husband are on Maui at the moment; they were evacuated upcountry. Keep dry, people.

Comment

Those currents in Hilo are running at around 15 knots.
                        In the past couple of minutes I'm now seeing changes in Kaneohe Bay. Water level is dropping and the stupid boats that anchored in the bay are swinging with the changes.
                        Wait... now the water is coming back IN, just in the few seconds sinced I typed the stuff above!
                        It's starting.

Comment

I'm about a half mile from the shoreline here on the East side of the Big Island just outside of Hilo. It's really a nice day

I'd love to go down to the cliffs and snap a few pics but the police is about a block down the road denying access to that area. We're packed and ready to evacuate (been ready since 5am). So far it's very peaceful out here.

Out where I live it's open ocean and we get a lot of big surges on rocks. At night it sounds like a constant roar of a distant jet plane. Ironically right now it's relatively quiet.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Wow, it's kind of chilling to read that. Stay safe everyone!

Comment

and now the warning is cancelled. But they still want people to stay out of the water due to the event possibly creating undertows.

Comment

Well, it looks like we dodged the bullet this time. No large tsunami waves as of now, just those amazing surges. I won't say it's over, as tsunami incidents happen in pulses and series. It'll be hours, if not a day or two, before we can say we're totally safe. And whether or not we get tsunami waves, the pulses cause bizarre currents that make swimming/surfing/kayaking/etc. dangerous and that will definitely last for at least a day.
                                Kudos to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, the various emergency responders and the media for doing a fantastic job. This was like a drill, but it was real. An excellent test of how we'd do and what needs fixing and tweaking.

Comment

Working...
                                X