• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwarzenegger's Controversy

"Calif. Gov. not sorry for 'girliemen' remark."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5460326?GT1=4244

What's your thoughts about the Governor of California-

Arnold Schwarzenegger. Sould he apologize or not?

Why? or Why not? You Decide....
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Re: Scwarzenegger's Controversy....

I am not a "Terminator" fan but I was quite amused by him having the unmitigated nerve to use "girlie boys" from his past.

Lingle should be as outrageous, would make local politics much more interesting.

Now, granted, I heard a radio report about some very sensible remarks Lingle recently made about the "homeless problem" and neither local newspaper reported it the next day, at least not in their on-line editions.

Comment

Left-leaning commie pinko tree-hugger that I might be, I also carry a lot of skepticism about the "politically correct" movement. So on first (and second) blush, I'd say, "Get a grip." I mean, it's a phrase that's tied to him via his Hollywood days, just like "I'll be back." He invoked it in a speech to get that Pavlovian roar of recognition, like you'd expect any actor-turned-politician to do.

Taking a closer look, though, those outraged aren't out of line.

He applied the phrase, after all, to fellow politicians, other elected folks who like him should generally remain civil. Then again, politics has been ridiculous everywhere lately.

More directly, the whole "girly men" thing carries a surprising amount of baggage. After all, the catchphrase was, hopefully, created in part to satirize the sort of machismo, chauvanistic attitudes those SNL characters represented. Schwarzenegger used it as an insult, and meant it. Is he calling the lawmakers effeminate? Isn't that offensive, to say "acting with principle" is a manly trait? What message does that send to women... or girls? Female lawmakers? Homosexuals?

Schwarzenegger's an entertainer, first and foremost, and I'm sure he got the laugh he wanted. But he's got to choose his words more carefully now that he's speaking for more than a few overpaid comedy writers.
      Last edited by pzarquon; July 19, 2004, 12:48 PM.

Comment

It's about the level of discourse that I would expect from Herr Gropenfuhrer.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          It's about the level of discourse that I would expect from Herr Gropenfuhrer.
          Hey, give Arnold a break. He could have said what Cheney said to Leahy.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I never saw the "girly men" thing as a slur on homosexuals, not then, not now. I thought it was funny then, and I still do. Maybe not quite the stately diplomatic language we might expect from a State Governor, but then the Terminator is NOT a typical State Governor.

Comment

He's got a whole new controversy to deal with now.

Gotta love how politicians define "family values," regardless of party.

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
                Sould he apologize or not? Why? or Why not?
                It's sideshow freak news, damaging to us all when we have real news constantly ignored for gossip/BS.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  "I won't be back."
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

"Hasta la vista, marriage ... credibility ... future political career ..."

Comment

He might morph himself into The Dem-onator, if scripted well he could be unstoppable.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

Gotta love how politicians define "family values," regardless of party.
                        Or, we can face up to the reality that most men (probably not all) are sluts, despite protestations. And that 'men of power,' (loosely defined), are even more likely to roam.

No I don't have statistics, just anecdotes, revelations and experience.

Many women, as well, though in committed relationships, will wander (time permitting ). This too, from anecdotes, revelations and experience.

The REAL question here is, "Why disclose now?" Perhaps he is tired of his marriage, and seeks to 'Terminate' it. I don't know what his life is like, but I do know how powerful, self-righteous women can make a man's place in a marriage a hell on Earth.
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                          I don't know what his life is like, but I do know how powerful, self-righteous women can make a man's place in a marriage a hell on Earth.
                          So it is his wife's fault that he couldn't keep it in his pants?
                          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                            So it is his wife's fault that he couldn't keep it in his pants?
                            Some people want to blame Maria?!
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                              Some people want to blame Maria?!
                              "How do you solve a problem like ... Ahh-nold?" (Doesn't scan as well, does it?)

Comment

Working...
                              X