Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 8th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: best instant coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
The winner of that latter comparison I haven't seen in stores, is it really a national brand?
Yes. They have recently expanded to being stocked in Walgreen's stores nation-wide.
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
I looked at your links, but I failed to see your point. A comparison between original TC and Italian Roast Via (instant and ground) is not much of a comparison as TC is not designed to compare with the darker Italian roast flavor. The other comparison rated TC highly and commented that it could mistaken for ground - supporting my position. The winner of that latter comparison I haven't seen in stores, is it really a national brand? .
My point was clearly stated in my reply to your original post. I could not find any review that had a conclusion anywhere near what you were stating. If this - "I can fairly answer your question - Taster's Choice. It beats every american national brand of 'real' and instant coffee" is simply your opinion it certainly does not sound like it and seems to me that it was misrepresented.
Also this is from the review that you are saying supports your position "Pass for brewed? Just barely" - That is a far cry from "beats every american national brand of 'real' and instant coffee".

Quote:
Rather than refuting, the large food & beverage review industry tends to prove my point. Universal agreement concerning relative flavor ranking would not support such a wide range of opinions.
If it's all a matter of personal taste and it's an exercise in futility to look up reviews then
1. Why did you offer a recommendation in the first place?
2. An industry that relied on this being false would not thrive.
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Ali`i

Huh? You thought I was voicing an established and generally accepted fact and not just my own opinion? How could you, when your own search came up with so many differing opinions concerning the 'best' instant coffee? I think you need to conduct a reality check. I was asked, so I answered with my opinion. If I was expected to check with other sources and provide the most generally accepted opinion of others, I would have expected a different question. Question asked, question answered. No surveys, no extensive research conducted, no authorities cited. I said 'I can fairly answer your question' because the previous answers did not address the question, but rather skirted it by suggesting an alternative to instant coffee. As to your ' An industry that relied...' comment, the industry relies on differences of opinion. That's why it thrives. It certainly doesn't thrive because it creates a general consensus of opinion.

Last edited by salmoned; May 8th, 2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Kia`aina

This is ridiculous. Have you tried every american national brand of real and instant coffee? I doubt it. Usually when someone says something like 'X brand beat every other brand in the country in X category' they read a reliable review that made this comparison. If you haven't actually tried all these coffees you're comparing then how the heck can you say that?? Why not just say 'I've tried a lot of coffees real and instant and this is the best I've tried'.
Old May 8th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Ali`i

This is getting very petty & silly. Since the person who started the thread isn't even posting anymore - maybe it's time to close it?

Admin? anyone?
Old May 8th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
Since the person who started the thread isn't even posting anymore -
Shaveice is out for a coffee, maybe?
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Ali`i

Prolly not instant. I vote for tea.
Old May 10th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Ali`i

ha! ha! that's right actually, now that my daughter's five, i seem to be busier than ever and i don't get to check this forum as often as i'd like.

regarding the french press idea, my wife shot it down; long story but i'll just say that i've put that idea on hold.

i asked about instant basically cuz i'm not a huge coffee fan and i'm lazy! i usually have just one or two cups a day. usually one from coffee bean during the day and then one in the evening at home--and that's where my question comes in.

so anyway, on my shelf now, i have a mountain blend (not bad), a key coffee from japan (not very good) and a caffe d'amore esppressimo (not bad).

salmoned mentioned taster's choice and i do have to say that i liked it when i tried it in vancouver in april. i was on the road and bought a very small jar so i could make some coffee at night and i liked it. when i returned to hawaii, i was puzzled cuz i couldn't find the exact same bottle. someone mentioned walgreens so i go and check it out tomorrow.

thanks for all the feedback ;->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Shaveice is out for a coffee, maybe?
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Kia`aina

Default Re: Best instant coffee?

First, I am not a coffee drinker; I drink coffee only for the cream / sugar additions.

In my mom's fridge, I noticed a jar of Borden's kava instant coffee. "90% Acid Neutralized" the label says. Never recalled seeing it on the mainland, but again, I'm not a coffee drinker.

I've been drinking it with evaporated milk and Splenda. Pretty good stuff. Not recommending, juss saying.
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
ah. because burning perfectly good coffee beans is only a few steps away from dehydrating them so they can be imbibed as a "coffee-like" beverage (a description that applies to that which makes up most of their repertoire).

okay, i'll stop being a snide, snooty wank.
I don't drink coffee, so wank away

Old May 12th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Ali`i

I am sitting in my Naperville IL "office" Starbuck's and they've just introduced their "VIA" instant coffee packets. I've yet to buy/try any I can't remember if/when they would be available in Hawaii.If I get a sample I'll let y'all know.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
This is ridiculous. Have you tried every american national brand of real and instant coffee? I doubt it. Usually when someone says something like 'X brand beat every other brand in the country in X category' they read a reliable review that made this comparison. If you haven't actually tried all these coffees you're comparing then how the heck can you say that?? Why not just say 'I've tried a lot of coffees real and instant and this is the best I've tried'.
What's ridiculous is that you pretend one has to try every brand to form an opinion. Even those comparisons you cited didn't pretend THAT. Taste is not the only factor in my comparisons, price is a factor as well (as was the case in one of the comparisons you cited). I never needed to taste anything beyond my price range to know it ain't as good [due to excessive price]. I also knew I didn't need to taste anything I couldn't easily find because of the hassle factor. Let's face it, we're talking about instant coffee. It's just not worth that much effort or expense.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
What's ridiculous is that you pretend one has to try every brand to form an opinion.
Nope. I "pretend" that one has to try a brand to form an opinion about it. Or even read a reliable review about it. According to you if you try anything and like it you can say it's the best without trying any others. You're wrong. Let it go.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Ali`i

(never mind. the 2 children aren't worth the energy)
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Ali`i

Hmmm...............I wonder if they're trying to figure out whose is bigger?

Last edited by anapuni808; May 13th, 2009 at 04:46 AM. Reason: that's what I was going to say before
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
Hmmm...............I wonder if they're trying to figure out whose is bigger?
Hey there!! Haha.

Fine...Sorry salmon, maybe I was mean in my first post in the thread. I tend to just write as I think.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Kia`aina

the best hands down is Medaglia d'oro, it's an instant espresso. Nescafe is 2nd runner up, although I like the powder version vs. the crystals. (the powder version i find in chinatown, probably is imported, and the crystals I find in Longs)

edit:
hey, it seems others agree with me, i did a search and here is a thread on chowhound.. Medaglia d'oro and nescafe it is..

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/312446

I certainly can understand the high praise for french press. it is my favorite way of making it, but it is not to be confused for instant at all. french press is far from instant. You have to grind the beans 'just right'. You have to add the right amount of water, the right temperature. stir it and let it wait for about 4 mins. then plunge it and pour. then you have to clean that d%#% pot with those grounds and hope you dont break the glass itslef which i've done multiple times..

I am eyeing the starbucks metal french presses, they are beautiful, but expensive..

Last edited by Kaukura; May 13th, 2009 at 04:59 AM. Reason: 9 out of 10 survey says....
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Ali`i

Sorry but I've got to disagree. I was brought up in France and English is my second language. French pressed coffee is not bad and a lot of my friends have taken a liking to to it.
I get sent packets of Kona from mates in Hawaii. Some I keep in the freezer and some I put in the blender with a spoonfull of Nestcafe.
It keeps in a jar for ages but I've got to admit that there are coffee grounds on the bottom of your cup.
Just pour some boiling water over it and stir with some sugar cane and it is delicicious.

Grey Man
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Sorry but I've got to disagree. I was brought up in France and English is my second language. French pressed coffee is not bad and a lot of my friends have taken a liking to to it.
I get sent packets of Kona from mates in Hawaii. Some I keep in the freezer and some I put in the blender with a spoonfull of Nestcafe.
It keeps in a jar for ages but I've got to admit that there are coffee grounds on the bottom of your cup.
Just pour some boiling water over it and stir with some sugar cane and it is delicicious.

Grey Man
umm. i dont recall anywhere in my post where I said french press was bad. Point me in the direction?? I said french press was NOT instant coffee.

Evidemment come vous avez dit, l'anglais c'est pas votre langue maternelle...I'm not going to debate this.
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Ali`i

http://www.kitv.com/news/23999164/detail.html

Does the coffee make you wake or get up faster?
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Ali`i

Instant coffee? Hmmm kinda like saying what's the best powdered milk. For coffee lovers nothing beats either pressed or brewed.

I prefer perked so I can see far to brew my mud.
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Ali`i

When I was traveling in Ireland, some of the B&Bs had hot water and packets of instant. I thought "YUK!" but couldn't start the day without my coffee.

The packets contained Bewley's Instant Coffee, and I must confess that it was as good as any brewed cup of coffee I had ever had.

An online search of instant coffees seems to indicate that the best instant coffees come from England and Ireland!

I concur.

*K*
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Ali`i

Haven't tried it myself, but I heard Starbucks VIA was good.
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)
Old June 25th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Ali`i

like what's the best powdered milk? i have to disagree cuz some instants are REALLY awful while others are okay; i'm looking for the best okay instant coffee!

will check online for the bewleys; thanks!
Old June 25th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Luna

I'll stick my neck out and say that the Starbucks Via is very good for an instant coffee. Comes in individual foil packs and is available in two flavors, Italian roast and Columbian. It was a novelty purchase for me, but it's obviously much more expensive than your jar variety of instant. I think that it came to about 90 cents a cup IIRC. I see that Costco also carries it. I assume that it's cheaper that way. Haven't tried the decaf blend yet.