Sahara - Better than Expected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sahara - Better than Expected

We escaped from our reality yesterday and took in an afternoon screening of Sahara which is based on the Clive Cussler novel. Matthew McConaughey was great as Dirk Pitt and his sidekick guy was really funny as well. I liked Penelope Cruz in her role which is a first for me because I usually find her annoying.

The movie was full of lighthearted banter delivered while escaping all manner of deadly situations through ingenuity and lots of luck. The very American rock & roll music which dominated the score added to the overall enjoyment. Definitely escapist, more clever than expected and Matthew M. is total eye candy for those who care!

I hope they make a bunch of these and it will be like an American James Bond series.
    Last edited by helen; August 14, 2005, 02:14 PM. Reason: adding the link to IMDb

Re: Sahara - Better than Expected

Well, heaven knows Cussler has written enough Dirk Pitt books [yes, I've read them all, you wanna make somethin' of it? ] to make a long-lasting series, although the FX costs might be prohibitive.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

"Sahara - Better than Expected". Boy, that's a backhanded compliment. Sort of like, "Star Wars III - It Didn't Suck".

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Boy, that's a backhanded compliment. Sort of like, "Star Wars III - It Didn't Suck".
        I tell you, at this rate, if one can say that of Episode III after it comes out, it'll be a day for dancing in the streets.

I'm not familiar with the novel for "Sahara." Would that ignorance help or hurt my enjoyment of this film? That is, is it all inside book jokes, or is it just a fun time, regardless of the novel link?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          I'm not familiar with the novel for "Sahara." Would that ignorance help or hurt my enjoyment of this film? That is, is it all inside book jokes, or is it just a fun time, regardless of the novel link?

today's film producers create product for those that would prefer NOT to read.
          the flik is a rapid succession of both; improbable and impossible hair raising stunts and action sequences.
          You gotta learn something in this, today's world. Never go into any theatre with any expectations.
          Last edited by kimo55; April 20, 2005, 10:53 AM.

Comment

It looks like a fun flick from the trailer. In the book there's a devious plot involving African dictators, French megalomaniacal businessmen, etc. who are doing horrible environmental damage. That includes the mother of all red algae blooms which will destroy the world in four weeks. Pitt and his sidekicks work for the National Underwater and Marine Agency, tasked with all things oceanic. So of course they end up in the Sahara desert.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
              his sidekick guy was really funny as well.
              that would be the very capable steve zahn.
              he has been in alotta things.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0001872/

"was really funny as well."
              as well as what?!

Comment

Ignorance of the book is not a drawback. It was having read the book that lowered our expectations - how on earth were they going to bring this larger than life character (Dirk Pitt) to the screen? DH and I had debates on who should get the role, etc. Never mind how to get the death defying feats performed with ease on the written page to the screen. Totally escapist fun. One critic called it 'celluloid popcorn' and that's a good description - it's not really good for you but you can't stop eating it!

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                  Ignorance of the book is not a drawback. It was having read the book that lowered our expectations - how on earth were they going to bring this larger than life character (Dirk Pitt) to the screen? DH and I had debates on who should get the role, etc. Never mind how to get the death defying feats performed with ease on the written page to the screen. Totally escapist fun. One critic called it 'celluloid popcorn' and that's a good description - it's not really good for you but you can't stop eating it!
                  The one I'd like to see turned into film is the one with the WW I-era train and the Canadian treaty (I think that's in the same book).

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                    The one I'd like to see turned into film is the one with the WW I-era train and the Canadian treaty (I think that's in the same book).
                    According to DH, Night Probe is the book and it does indeed contain both of those elements. It's hard to keep them all straight! I haven't read that one so I'll have to pick it up at Jelly's on my next visit.

Comment

I saw Sahara on Saturday night (5/7) at Ward. I never read the book and I enjoyed this movie. I guess the James Bond feel of the movie is maybe due to the background music that sort of sounds like it came from a James Bond movie, as well as the bomb blasts, chase scenes, people firing guns, fist fights and treasure hunting on the side.
                      Last edited by helen; May 13, 2005, 01:20 AM. Reason: corrected the date

Comment

Found out that the DVD for this movie will be released on August 30, 2005. Too bad Raise the Titanic is not available yet on DVD.

Comment

cought it on cable,we liked it alot

Comment

Working...
                          X