• Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

We bought four new tires last week.

Very reasonable.

Discount Tire Company
    (808) 836-0475
    3050 Ualena St, Honolulu, HI 96819

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thanks, Auntie.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        D@mn pot holes...grrrrrrrr
        Are you able to identify the pothole that did it? I've seen some nasty ones lately. I dodge one the other day that I think would have about riped my wheel off - it looked deep!

If you can ID the pot hole, you might get something from the government as they are responsible for keeping roads in reasonable repair.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          Are you able to identify the pothole that did it? I've seen some nasty ones lately. I dodge one the other day that I think would have about riped my wheel off - it looked deep!

If you can ID the pot hole, you might get something from the government as they are responsible for keeping roads in reasonable repair.
          Nope...can't ID which one. There are so many more now and, as you've noted, some really nasty ones. The storm earlier this month seems to have enlarged many of the smaller pot holes. I find myself compromising my driving as I try to dodge the mini sink holes. I hit several of them the 2 days previous to my flat tire and remember thinking that there was no way my car could escape any of them unscathed. I dread driving now because of this 3rd world roads situation. It's gone beyond annoying to dangerous.

Lex Brodies mentioned that it would help my car if I changed from the current "low rider" tires to regular tires as the latter will absorb more shock.

Comment

I'm peeved today about TutuSue TEASING US by making us wait for the annual Christmas Avatar contest voting results. Boooo! lol
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              I'm peeved today about TutuSue TEASING US by making us wait for the annual Christmas Avatar contest voting results. Boooo! lol
              Wait no more!

Comment

I had to go pick up a package at the UPS Store in Kaneohe this morning, in the little shopping center next to the fire station. Unfortunately, it's the same shopping center where there's a Times market, and about 15 striking picketers were blocking the driveway into the center, slo-o-o-owly ambling back and forth, with an HPD cop keeping an eye on things. They blocked me for at least three minutes, as traffic on Kam Highway backed up behind me. I called out that I was going to the UPS Store and not to Times, but it made no difference to them. They intentionally stayed in the way of my car, walking at a speed of about 2 inches per hour, it seemed. Pi**ed me off.
                I pulled into a spot at the UPS Store, which is right next to the driveway with the picketers. Went inside, took care of business, came back out to the car and tried to leave... and the same damned picketers blocked me AGAIN for several minutes, even though they saw where I went!!! Pi**ed me off BIG TIME.
                And now, after that, I couldn't care less why the picketers are striking! Their rude and arrogant attitude has put me firmly on the side of Times management and against the workers.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Nope...can't ID which one. There are so many more now and, as you've noted, some really nasty ones. The storm earlier this month seems to have enlarged many of the smaller pot holes. I find myself compromising my driving as I try to dodge the mini sink holes. I hit several of them the 2 days previous to my flat tire and remember thinking that there was no way my car could escape any of them unscathed. I dread driving now because of this 3rd world roads situation. It's gone beyond annoying to dangerous.

Lex Brodies mentioned that it would help my car if I changed from the current "low rider" tires to regular tires as the latter will absorb more shock.

One year while driving to work on Kapiolani BLVD I hit one of those steel plates that had bowed up with my car's tires. One of the front tires popped and couldn't be patched. The contractor working that area was HC&D so I called them. As soon as I told them what happened, I was transferred to another department where a woman took my name and information regarding the location of the incident. I was told to get the tire replaced and they would reimburse me by sending a claim to their company.

I did and promptly got a check in the mail within a couple of weeks. They handled it as if they dealt with this kind of issue many times.

If it's a pothole on city streets call the office of Information and Complaint to get to the department that can help you get reimbursed for any damage to your car.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

D@mn pot holes...grrrrrrrr
                    So, I'm heading out to meet up with Creative-1 and his lovely wife when, less than a block from home, I think I "hear" sumthin'. Hmmm. The next block I think I "feel" sumthin'. Double Hmmm. I make a left from Ena Rd. onto Kalakaua and test my "funky feeling" by oh so briefly taking my hands off the steering wheel. Yikes, an immediate pull to the right. I pull into the Hard Rock Cafe's parking lot and confirm my suspicion...a flat tire! AAA eventually arrived and helped this damsel in distress! Then I was off to Lex Brodie to find out why this 6 month old tire gave up on me.

A test showed it wasn't the tire. It was the rim...one of 4 VERY expensive rims that were already on the car when I bought it. The rim was a pot hole victim and it needs to be replaced.

So now I need to either find and buy another rim (a waste of money on a 12 year old car plus I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on one rim!) or try to find 4 matching stock rims...hopefully used! Going with the latter, I'll need to buy 4 new tires as my current rims use "low rider" tires, or something like that. Can't remember exactly what they're called. Regardless, the rims and the tires are what give my car it's cool factor!

No matter what...I'm gonna be spending buckaroonies on something I really dislike spending money on...my car! And I need to do it as soon as I can as I'm now driving without a spare. And, I had to cancel meeting up with Mr. and Mrs. Creative-1. Grrrrr...

Bummers...all the way around.
                    A little late maybe, but...... for the future....... I always keep a can of fix-a-flat in my car. I am forever driving on almost bald tires (how does that happen?) Fix-a-flat has saved my butt on more than one occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      [...]If it's a pothole on city streets call the office of Information and Complaint to get to the department that can help you get reimbursed for any damage to your car.
                      The problem for so many of us is we don't know which pothole did the damage. It's possible it's a compounding effect as the current pothole situation is deplorable.
                      Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                      A little late maybe, but...... for the future....... I always keep a can of fix-a-flat in my car. I am forever driving on almost bald tires (how does that happen?) Fix-a-flat has saved my butt on more than one occasion.
                      These products are great and have helped in other situations but wouldn't have helped this time as the problem was a severely bent rim, not a punctured tire. The damage to the rim allowed air to escape from the tire.

My mechanic said he might have some used rims.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                        But be sure to tell the tire shop about it when they go to work on that wheel. In come cases it can present a danger to them.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          And now, after that, I couldn't care less why the picketers are striking! Their rude and arrogant attitude has put me firmly on the side of Times management and against the workers.
                          You might want to write to "Letter to the Editor" in the daily papers where it will be seen by a larger audience. As well as writing to UPS so they can show the union it's damaging their business.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                            You might want to write to "Letter to the Editor" in the daily papers where it will be seen by a larger audience.
                            Funny yu should mention that, as there was a letter in today's Advertiser, as follows:
                            TIMES SUPERMARKET STRIKE MAKING IT HARD FOR AREA BUSINESSES

What are they thinking? What the union currently on strike at Times Market hopes to achieve by blocking off entire shopping center parking lots is beyond me.
                            They certainly have the right to strike, but they can't have the right to make it difficult for customers and businesses other than Times to do business, can they?
                            Makes no sense to me, and I have no empathy for this group.

Neal Ikeda
                            Kane'ohe
                            As many HT'ers know, I'm not Neal Ikeda, but I surely do agree with him. Maybe he lurks here on HT and read my post yesterday.
                            I do wish he'd also have pointed out that a cop was standing right there and did absolutely nothing about the strikers impeding traffic.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Funny yu should mention that, as there was a letter in today's Advertiser, as follows:

As many HT'ers know, I'm not Neal Ikeda, but I surely do agree with him. Maybe he lurks here on HT and read my post yesterday.
                              I do wish he'd also have pointed out that a cop was standing right there and did absolutely nothing about the strikers impeding traffic.
                              I'm so annoyed at the strikers that I actually have sympathy for the driver who "nudged" one at the Waimalu/Pearl City Times last week. We go to that shopping center for the vet, the noodle shop and the supermarket. They do that same old draggin' their sorry a**es and blocking access while giving drivers stink eye. There are three ingress/egress to the shopping center (the one at the makai end isn't anywhere near the supermarket, but they block it as well) - I hope Times hires a whole bunch of new folks. I'm going to go out of my way to support Times and it's because of the way the strikers are behaving. And, what is up with HPD? Are they there just to make sure we don't run the picket-carriers over, or are they actually supposed to be helping manage the traffic?

Comment

[...]I do wish he'd also have pointed out that a cop was standing right there and did absolutely nothing about the strikers impeding traffic.
                                Well then...how 'bout you pointing that out by doing a follow up to that letter?

Comment

Working...
                                X