HAL Bound for the Philippines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAL Bound for the Philippines

There was much hoopla today as Hawaiian Airlines gave away free round-trip tickets at Tamarind Park in downtown Honolulu, bound for Manilla, Philippines.

Otherwise, it will cost you over $1000 r/t.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: HAL Bound for the Philippines

Who else flies HNL to Manila direct, PAL? Isn't given away free tickets a destruction of the market and an attempt to drive out the competition like go!?

But on a more serious note, seems like the Airbus deal for HA might fall through because of labor contract issues with the pilots......one step forward, two steps back, why is this a recurring theme in Hawaii?

Comment

No complaints - I won one! Waited about an hour in a line wrapping all around the block to sign in. Then 3 hours for all the winners to be announced. Odds turned out to be about 1 in 30.
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

JT, according to one of the hwnair reps who appeared on the news (can't remember who), there are no other airlines doing direct flights.

the several i've taken stopped in guam, IIRC. i know that there are others which stop in tokyo.

as for salmoned, congrats! i wanted to tell my family to check it out, but i figured they already knew. word goes quickly in the flip community, esp bout free stuff. teehee.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

This route should be a good one for HAL. Just the start of their expansion into the Asian market and beyond. Good luck HAL, I`m sure your going to do good in this market....
          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
            JT, according to one of the hwnair reps who appeared on the news (can't remember who), there are no other airlines doing direct flights.

the several i've taken stopped in guam, IIRC. i know that there are others which stop in tokyo.
            Hmm....think the HA rep might need to do a little homework. PAL runs a direct flight, PR101 from HNL to MNL and PR100 from MNL to HNL on an Airbus 340. Maybe it's a recent thing, but looks like for this specific route, it will be PAL vs HAL hehehe.

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
            This route should be a good one for HAL. Just the start of their expansion into the Asian market and beyond. Good luck HAL, I`m sure your going to do good in this market....
            Yeah, I think HA can grow profitably by picking niche flights to Asia. I think the next ones should be to Shanghai and Beijing since there aren't any directs on these routes and I think the lure of warm beaches to the cold winter will entice the growing middle classes there.

Comment

Lots of warm beaches in Vietnam, Thailand and other south eastern destinations that are much cheaper than Hawaii. Guam is closer too. It'll be interesting to see the future of HA vis a vis intl destinations.

Philippine Airlines has been flying to Honolulu for years and years, so it's not a recent thing. PAL operates the 747-400, A340-300, A330-300 and will take deliver of the 777-300ER in a few years.

edited to add: A Hawaii based airline does not have any more "clout" in serving this route than a mainland based airline does, as any US airline could have applied to operate HNL to Manila or anywhere in Asia if they found it to fit in their plans or earnings projections. United and Northwest come to mind with Honolulu to tokyo, osaka and maybe other destinations flown now. United used to fly HNL to Sydney, Auckland..
              Last edited by Kaukura; January 21, 2008, 06:06 PM.
              n'importe

Comment

No complaints - I won one!
                OMG - how lucky for you!

I was discouraged by the length of the line at 10:30 and couldn't persuade my kids to stand in line for that long! I really wanted to win though.

I thought the way they did it was pretty messed up. Standing in line just to get an entry form (from what I could gather). Why didn't they just hand out the forms along the line, let people fill them out and drop them in the boxes? I thought the line was unnecessary! As I was leaving the area after 12 - I saw people in the line filling out forms so figured since it was past the cut off time - they must have just handed out the forms and let those last people in the line get their entries in. Why didn't they do that earlier?

Well, congratz on your win. 1-30 wasn't bad odds at all! I was just too impatient.
                Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Working...
                X