The Dark Knight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Dark Knight

Saw it a second time at Windward Mall theaters this afternoon with a couple of other people. This movie is so fast paced I can't remember the initial reason why there were two ferries leaving someplace.

Comment

Here's my take on a NEW ad for Micky-D's.....

Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
        Please put me down! I just wanted the Haupia Pie!

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
          "Hey, watch me make this french fry disappear!"
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

As I said to Helen immediately afterwards, "that was a HARD movie".

I enjoyed comments on NPR in the next few days, folks pondering what I also thought about. What does it mean about a movie when it presents a villain who is more interesting and sympathetic than the supposed hero?

Of course that had very much to do with Heath Ledger's brilliant performance.

Comment

I finally got to see the movie with my husband and another couple. It was a well-done movie in every respect, and yet I didn't like it much. I never felt any strong attachment or empathy for the characters, and by the end of the movie it was all a big "so what?" for me. I'm not sure if it's because the movie was too dark psychologically, or that Christian Bale is an utter bore as an actor who seems to be channeling Tom Cruise. On second thought, those criticisms are probably exactly why I enjoyed IRONMAN (with Robert Downey, Jr.) so much.
              * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
              - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but did anyone else think that Dark Knight warranted more than a PG-13 rating?

I know, I know. There was no swearing. No nudity. But still, the sheer violence and brutality was so intense that I think an R rating was certainly merited.

Definitely not a movie for small kids.

Whatever happened to the fun and innocent Batman adventures, like the ones in the 1960s series with Adam West?
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

There seems to be some places where things are not shown on the screen. For instance the disappearing pencil, you never see where on the guys face the pencil ended up or when the Joker cuts Gamble face, you don't see where his face is cut, just that he falls to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Maybe it's just me, but did anyone else think that Dark Knight warranted more than a PG-13 rating?

I know, I know. There was no swearing. No nudity. But still, the sheer violence and brutality was so intense that I think an R rating was certainly merited.

Definitely not a movie for small kids.

Whatever happened to the fun and innocent Batman adventures, like the ones in the 1960s series with Adam West?
                    The fun and innocent Batman adventures were a result of controversy during the 1950s of comic books being a negative influence on children. The Comics Code Authority was formed (the comic industry's version of the MPAA), and Batman was reinvented to be a more fun character, cracking jokes and such. The 1960s campy show was also a result of that characterization.

The characterization in Christopher Nolan films are closer to the original vision of Batman, a sociopath with some kind of guardian angel complex. The return to the "dark knight" characterization was spurred by Frank Miller, the same author of "Sin City" and "300," and director of the upcoming "The Spirit" film. Frank Miller penned a four-issue miniseries called "The Dark Knight Returns," which chronicles a 50-something Bruce Wayne now retired, because superheroes were made illegal.

If you ever saw "The Incredibles," it's a similar scenario.

The fun and innocent Batman mythology had its chance on celluloid with the Joel Schumacher dreck, "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin."

Trust me. "The Dark Knight" was a dark film, but it doesn't even touch the sheer moral nihilism of noted stories in Batman's history, including Alan Moore's one-shot "The Killing Joke."
                    ---
                    Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                    X