Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Christmas Party 2009

Hi Auntie Lynn,

I just got my schedule, and I can go with you and P.K..

Beau

Comment

I have something at 6pm, so I probably can't make it over to La Mariana until 8pm.

Comment

As always when it rains it pours. Months go by with no parties to go to and one night of the year has 4 of them.........Would have loved to come but am helping with the big party for the New Zealand club of Hawaii across the
        street (at least no driving involved!). Would sure have loved to meet
        so many of you! XOXO "Leash"

Comment

Already contracted for playing music that night, so I've gotta miss the HT party again.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Of course, my family and I should be there (me, the wife, three keiki). Surfingfarmboy is in town for the Honolulu Marathon on Dec. 13. I don't suppose he'll hang around until Friday?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              Already contracted for playing music that night, so I've gotta miss the HT party again.
              Where are you playing?

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                Where are you playing?
                At a private party at an oceanfront estate in the Waikane area.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  At a private party at an oceanfront estate in the Waikane area.
                  How wonderful! No doubt they are in for a treat! Have fun!

The New Zealand party across the street is also having entertainment.

Comment

I'll be freezing my okole on the mainland. Have fun everyone! Mele Kalikimaka!!
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Pencil in two, maybe three for us, so far. Hubby may be on the mainland, may be only the keiki and me.

(Is keiki singular or plural? It will be singular for me.)

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                        Is keiki singular or plural?
                        Both. You can have one keiki or dozens of keiki, but there is no such word as "keikis." Annoys me every time I hear it!
                        You got it right.

Comment

Off topic but I'm almost certain that the plural for Hawaiian words is the same as the singular.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                            Off topic but I'm almost certain that the plural for Hawaiian words is the same as the singular.
                            Pretty much, but some changes occur - prefix usually changes from "ka" (or "ke") to "na," and some words get kahakō added when they are pluralized, like "kupuna" to "kūpuna." And I'm generalizing from an amateur's perspective.

Comment

All I do is remember the fact that there is no "S" in the Hawaiian alphabet. After that, I have no idea what to do!

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                                (Is keiki singular or plural? It will be singular for me.)
                                I can't speak to the Hawaiian language specifically, but I would guess it is very similar to Tongan in it's structure.

In Tongan, keiki is singluar meaning child. Two children would be "u keiki". Three or more children would be "ongo keiki". The Tongan language had modifier prefixes for the plural. "U" for two of anything or "ONGO" for more than two of anything. "u fale" would be two huts and "ongo fale" would be more than two huts.

BTW, there is no "NG" combination in the original Tongan language! So what gives with all the "NG's"? Tonga is really Toga. Ongo keiki is really ogo keiki. Ngau Ngaue (a command which means "get busy") is really Gau Gaue.

So.....the "G" in The Toga language is pronounced like "NG" as in the word "song." The early missionaries, when giving Toga a written language, couldn't decide how to write down that particular sound. Originally it was written "G". Over time, the "NG" designation prevailed since it seemed to give a better description of the sound.

BTW, BTW, Tonga in most polynesian languages means "South."
                                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
                                X